Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224281 times)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #567 on: Sunday 20 March 16 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Mollie Rosine MEYER (1914-2005) is listed in the 1939 Register as Pork Butcher Manager ... of her father's shop at 13 Cambridge St, Wellingborough. I'm told she was the cashier in her little kiosk in the shop, and that, in the 1950s, each day (ex Sat) just before closing time she could be seen placing a large dripping jar containing the day's takings into the carrier of the shop's delivery bike and racing off to the (Midland) Bank.

Mollie was the gt granddaughter of Frederick Meyer (1830-1916) of Kunzelsau, who moved down from Wakefield to set up his pork butcher's shop at 13 Silver St in Wellingborough in the early 1850s. By 1881 Frederick had passed the business on to son William (1856-1933), whilst elder son Frederick (1853-1932), after training in Bradford, had set up his own shop at 57 Gold St in Northampton. William grew the business, opening a second shop at 13 Cambridge St in Wellingborough by 1906. In turn William retired and passed the business on to his son William Albert (1883-1972), who, by 1920, had closed the original shop and moved to larger premises across the road at 20 Silver St, premises that I'm told actually backed on to the pig pens of the cattle market. From 1940 it would appear that only the shop at 13 Cambridge St was in use, and at the moment I can't get closer than it closed before the mid-60s.

The names associated with these businesses ... Roll, Hohenrein, Frank, Munz, Beyer, Retzbach, Rothermel, Kolb, Wachelor, Bokmaer, Boklmeyer, Rens, Blank, Weyman, Hamel, Schwelka and Holich; and just to add the three Ludwig sisters from Goggenbach, all buried under the same marble slab in Wellingborough's old cemetery between 1935 and 1947 - two had worked for the Hohenrein family in Hull, one for Fred Meyer junior in Northampton and one was housekeeper to Fred Meyer senior in Wellingborough.

I regularly walk past the premises that were once pork butchers' shops in Wellingborough, and have collected info about the folks who worked there, though I have no connections to the families mentioned or pork butchers. I don't have the time to write this up fully, and nor do I wish to add further duplicate entries to the German Pork Butchers database, but I'm happy to assist with info if others wish to tidy up the entries.

Bryan
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: Sunday 20 March 16 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Just located this story from 1914 where my Grandfather's shop (Friedrich Schoch) at 65 Bridge St.  Worksop was "attacked" and closed.

http://wsnl.co.uk/college/1914-18-at-worksop-college/how-far-did-peoples-lives-change-in-august-1914/local-germans/
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: Monday 21 March 16 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bryan

Interesting. Through the 1939 Register I have found the whereabouts of various of my ancestors with details of marriage in some cases.

I have also found the whereabouts of certain German Pork Butchers but like you unfortunately, have just had to list them, hoping one day to enter them in the database.

I had contact with a lady on Ancestry from the Meyer Family who is researching them for her grandson. William, Born 1856 was his ggt Grandfather. I have not heard from her since but will contact her again.

My own gt Grandmother, Margaretha Brück, was working for the Meyers - shown in the 1861 Census.

Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: Saturday 02 April 16 22:26 BST (UK) »
"The names associated with these businesses ... Roll, Hohenrein, Frank, Munz, Beyer, Retzbach, Rothermel, Kolb, Wachelor, Bokmaer, Boklmeyer, Rens, Blank, Weyman, Hamel, Schwelka and Holich; and just to add the three Ludwig sisters from Goggenbach.
Bryan

Hello Bryan,
In the course of my pork butcher research I got to know descendants of the following families: Frank, Beyer, Retzbach, Rothermel and Kolb. I assume that they are interested in getting more information on their forefathers and what I can see from your contribution, you might be a good source for them. May I give them your email address? Personally I would be interested in Holich (of Künzelsau?) and the Goggenbach Ludwig sisters. If you agree, I send you a personal message with my email address.

Regards
Histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: Sunday 03 April 16 14:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Gill. Yes just the census for Margaretha, but much more for Meyer family if your contact requires it.

Bryan.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: Sunday 03 April 16 14:25 BST (UK) »
Happy to help, Histres. Please PM your email address.

Bryan

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hello all,wondering if anyone can help me as i completely new to all this.

I am trying to trace my family back and get stuck at 1861 as they origanted from Inglefingen in Germany. I can not seem to find any inforamtion on them,the whole family emmigrated, they even brought there servants. There profession was Pork Buchery and they carried that profession on when they settled in Warrington UK and Wigan.

The surname was changed from Mynkeyme to Marsden before World War I and this is all i know.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards K.J.Marsden

Hello Mr. Marsden
When I'm going to the Ingelfingen archives again, I will have a look into the Meinikheims.

Best wishes
Karl-Heinz Wüstner
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hello

Frederick John and George Mynekyme of Warrington changed their names to Marsden in May 1930 (Gazette). Just Google the name Mynekyme and the Gazette will pop up.

Gill
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline K.J.Marsden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 08:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Karl-Heinz Wüstner,

Very much appreciated, i have received your message but unfortunately i cannot seem to reply, i would be grateful if you could send over the information and details you had mentioned.

Regards
KJMarsden