Author Topic: Waterford WW1 lookups available  (Read 73222 times)

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Waterford WW1 lookups available
« on: Sunday 27 September 09 07:04 BST (UK) »
I am just coming to the finish of the Waterford War Dead which will be published next year sometime. I am happy to do free lookups, (free of course). This will include any articles in newspapers about them. There were over 1,100 casualties from Waterford died during the war.
Regards.
 Tom

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Waterford WW1 lookups available
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 September 09 11:22 BST (UK) »
Sounds like a very big project. Could you please check for any Ramseys (1911 in Mendicity Lane). They were a large family and not many Ramseys in Waterford. One son William Christopher death registered Oct/Dec 1918 in Waterford (age 25) but not sure if he even served in War.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 September 09 14:00 BST (UK) »
These are the only mention of Ramsay in the book.
Somewhere in France.
   Dear Father—I received your parcels all right…..I have a terrible tale to tell you. On Sunday the Germans shelled our trenches where I was. There were eleven men in the trenches with me. Ten got killed and my officer got wounded. I got through safe. They kept firing hell into our trench for three hours. All my comrades were buried in the trench. I had to pull out half of them by myself, and when I go them out they were dead. After that I had to get out of the trench and try to get away as safe as I could. I got out of the trench. They put two maxim guns on me, so I had to be in the open for six hours under shell fire. I got away safe, thank God. I wich to thank the members of the Confraternity for their prayers, and also K---S--- for the Mass said for me. Just picture what it was to be in a trench and all in it dead but yourself, with nowhere to go, and expecting death every minute. But, thank God for hearing your prayers for me. It came night-time; I crept about 600 yards over to my other comrades, and when I got over there were heaps of dead and wounded there. In all those exciting hours I kept up my heart, and thought about you and I said; “Well, my fathers prayers were heard, and my little sister’s.” I started to cry when I looked round and saw dead and wounded everywhere about me, and I heard the wounded crying for help. I had a lot of trophies and things in my kit-bag for the boss, but tell him that when the battle was over they were all buried in the trench. I am very sorry. Don’t forget to buy the papers and you will see al the men we lost, and look for an officer, his name is Ramsay(?). he is the only one that got out safe with me.

STONEY, THOMAS RAMSAY. Rank: Second Lieutenant (Adjt.). Regiment or Service: King's Own Scottish Borderers. Unit: 3rd Battalion. Attached to 6th Battalion. Age at death; 35. Date of Death: 10-April-1918. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Born at Dungarvan, Co. Waterford. Son of Maj. George Ormonde Stoney, (K.O.S.B.) and Meylia Stoney; husband of Dorothy Agnes Stoney, of Stokelake House, Chudleigh, Devon. Thomas is listed as a member of the Peerage. Grave or Memorial Reference: IV. A. 19. Cemetery: La-Clytte Military Cemetery, in Belgium.

There were no casualties from Mendicity Lane in ww1.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 September 09 14:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for such a quick response- doesn't sound like my Ramseys but appreciate your help. Great bit of research. Best of luck, aghadowey
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 September 09 14:30 BST (UK) »
Glad to help.
 Regards.
 Tom.

Offline lisduggan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 September 09 18:13 BST (UK) »
 I am lookingfor Sergeant michael fitzgerald No 5915 royal irish regiment  who was from waterford   also james kiely royal irish regiment No 8186 and his cusin also james kiely of the lenister No 3180 they came from browns  lane waterford were killed  durning WWI I be grateful for any information on them michael fitzgerald was from browns lane also
regards

pat ....

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 September 09 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your kind offer,  I know this is a long shot, but I am looking for any McCarthy's from Waterford.

jericho
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 September 09 08:27 BST (UK) »

Michael Fitzgerald No 5915 was not a casualty so I have no information on him

There are two James Kiely’s
KIELY, JAMES. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit: 2nd Battalion. Age at death; 25. Date of Death: 19-October-1914. Service No: 8186. Born in Trinity Without, Waterford. Enlisted in Waterford. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of James and Elizabeth Kiely, of 3, Brown's Lane, Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: 11 and 12 on the Le Touret Memorial in France.

KIELY, JAMES. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Leinster Regiment. Unit: 7th Battalion. Age at death; 21. Date of Death: 27-June-1916. Service No: 3180. Born in Waterford. Enlisted in Waterford while living in Waterford.  Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Patrick and Margaret Kiely, of 3, Brown's Lane, Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: 127 on the Loos Memorial in France.

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 September 09 08:28 BST (UK) »
Here ye go;
McCARTHY, DANIEL. Rank: Corporal. Regiment or Service: Royal Garrison Artillery Secondary. Unit; attd. "Y" 21st Trench Mortar Bty. Age at Death: 45. Date of Death: 26-06-1916. Service No: 6341 He was awarded the Miltary Medal and mentioned in the London Gazette. Born in Carrick-on-Suir and enlisted in Bury while living in Carrick Beg, Waterford. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Thomas and Kate McCarthy, of Ballyrichard Rd, Carrick-on-Suir, Co. Tipperary. Grave or Memorial Reference: I. C. 68. Cemetery: Norfolk Cemetery, Becordel-Becourt in France.

McCARTHY, DENIS. Rank: Fireman. Regiment or Service: Mercantile Marine. Unit: S.S. "Lough Fisher" (Barrow). Shelled and sunk by a german submarine 12 miles S.E of Cork. Age at death; 34. Date of Death: 30-March-1918. Supplementary information; Son of Bridget McCarthy (nee Henessey), of 83, Gallows Hill, Waterford, and the late Patrick McCarthy. Born at Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: He has no known grave but is listed on the Tower Hill Memorial in the UK.

McCARTHY, EDWARD. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit; Depot. Age at Death: 48. Born St Marys, Dungarvan, Co Waterford. Enlisted in Dungarvan. Died at home. Date of Death: 20-01-1915. Service No: 7096. Supplementary information;Husband of Mary McCarthy of 4 Davis St. Dungarvan. Cemetery, Clonmel, St Patricks Cemetery. Grave location; EA. 115.

Image 5
McCARTHY, JOHN.  Rank: Private.  Regiment or Service: Leinster Regiment. Unit;1st Battalion. Date of Death:12-August-1915. Service No:8518.  Born in Waterford.
Supplementary information; This man is a bit of a mystery. He is not in Soldiers died in the Great War. Irelands Memorial Records are unsure of his year of death. The only additional information it has is that he was born in Waterford and was killed in action in 1914 or 1915 in Belgium. Note he is buried in France. His Victory Medal and 1915 Star were purchased from a USA Collector in 2009. The image above, courtesy of Damien Cawley are his two remaining medals. The War medal was missing. A quick look at his medal index card, listed under 2518 (not 8518) shows he entered the French theatre of war on 19-December-1914.

Grave or Memorial Reference:II.A.10. Cemetery: Brewery Orchard Cemetery, Bois-Grenier, Nord in France.

McCARTHY, JOHN. Rank: Fireman. Regiment or Service: Mercantile Marine. Unit: S.S. “Coningbeg” (Glasgow). Torpedoed by German Submarine U-62. There were no survivors. U62 surrendered in November 1918. It was broken up on Bo’ness in 1920 for scrap. 31 Waterford men died on the ship that day.Age at death; 50. Date of Death: 18-December-1917. Supplementary information; Son of Richard and Bridget McCarthy; husband of Hannah McCarthy (nee O'Keefe), of 47, Lower Yellow Rd, Waterford, Co. Waterford. Born at Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: He has no known grave but is listed on the Tower Hill Memorial in the UK. He is also listed on the Formby-Coningbeg Memorial, Adelphi Quay in Waterford City.

McCARTHY, MICHAEL. Rank: Fireman. Regiment or Service: Mercantile Marine. Unit: S.S. “Coningbeg” (Glasgow). Torpedoed by German Submarine U-62. There were no survivors. U62 surrendered in November 1918. It was broken up on Bo’ness in 1920 for scrap. 31 Waterford men died on the ship that day.Age at death; 50. Date of Death: 18-December-1917. Supplementary information; Son of Richard and Bridget McCarthy; husband of Ellen McCarthy (nee McGrath), of 1, Stephen St, Waterford, Co. Waterford. Born at Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: He has no known grave but is listed on the Tower Hill Memorial in the UK. He is also listed on the Formby-Coningbeg Memorial, Adelphi Quay in Waterford City.

McCARTHY, MICHAEL.  Rank: Private.  Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment.
Unit; 3rd Battalion. Date of Death:04-May-1915. Age at Death,29Service No:87. 
Born in St. Patricks’s, Waterford. Enlisted in Waterford. Died at Home. 
Supplementary information; Husband of Anne McCarthy. rave or Memorial Reference: Brookwood (United Kingdom 1914-18) Memorial, 30 Miles from London.

McCARTHY, THOMAS.  Rank: Private/Lance Corporal.  Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit; 2nd Battalion. Date of Death:01-May-1915. Service No: 6187. Born in Trinity Without, Waterford. Enlisted in Waterford. Killed in Action. Grave or Memorial Reference: He has no known grave but is listed on Panel 33 on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial in Belgium.

McCARTHY, WILLIAM. Rank: Air Mechanic 3rd Class. Regiment or Service: Royal Air Force. Age at death; 44. Date of Death: 24-November-1918. Service No: 285603. Supplementary information; Husband of Bridget McCarthy, of 6, St. Lawrence Terrace, Lower Grange, Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: C. F. 15. Cemetery: Ballynaneashagh (St Otteran’s) Catholic Cemetery in County Waterford.

McCARTHY, WILLIAM. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Worcestershire Regiment. Unit: 3rd Battalion. Age at death; 35. Date of Death: 07-November-1914. Service No: 7296. Born in Waterford. Enlisted in Monmouth while living in Waterford.   Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Mrs. Johanna McCarthy, of Knockrour, Stradbally, Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: He has no known grave but is listed on Panel 34 on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial in Belgium.