Author Topic: Waterford WW1 lookups available  (Read 73257 times)

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterford WW1 lookups available
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 07 January 10 18:34 GMT (UK) »
There are 5.
CULLEN, GERALD SOMERVILLE YEATS.  Rank: Second Lieutenant. 
CULLEN, JOSEPH.  Rank: Private.
CULLEN, MICHAEL.  Rank: Private. 
CULLEN, PATRICK. Rank: Fireman.
CULLEN, WALTER. Rank: Cattleman.
The last two died on the Steamship Coningbeg.
 All from Waterford.
 Regards.
 Tom.

Offline cullen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 07 January 10 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Tom

Manythanks for such a speedy reply

Kay
Simmons/Simmonds -Sussex
Hall - Cuckfield, Sussex
Allen - Sussex
Glenister -Bucks
Allen - Bucks
Young - Bucks
Haynes - Clerkenwell/Shoreditch, Mddx & London
Cullen - Waterford, Ireland
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
  • Waterford City Coat of Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 07 January 10 19:10 GMT (UK) »
I should have added to the above Tom, Thomas Coffey killed when the SS Formby was sunk. There is a photo of Thomas coffey and his wife and also one of the SS formby  at this address if you wish to use them.

http://www.mcguire.shaunmcguire.co.uk/Thomas%20Coffey.htm

Also Thomas McGuire from Spring Garden killed in 1940 though on the SS Ashcrest. I have a new photograph of him to add to the site yet.

http://www.mcguire.shaunmcguire.co.uk/Thomas%20McGuire.htm
Newport's War Dead, Cwmbran's War Dead, Monmouthshire Warrior's, McGuire of Waterford City, Gillard of Churchstanton, north Devon, Morgan of Cwmbran, Waterford's War Dead

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 07 January 10 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Glad to help Kay.
Papa, thank you for the information.
Kind regards.
 Tom

Offline PaulAshe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom
Sounds like great work you are doing. I've been researching the Cunningham family in Carrick on suir for a while now and have still to find records of my family in the war. I know theywere involved but that's about it. I know I also had family around the Carrick area in Waterford and beyond but I'm here in sunny Spain and am unable to get my hands on many records. Would you be able to help at all?

Thanks in advance
Paul

I am just coming to the finish of the Waterford War Dead which will be published next year sometime. I am happy to do free lookups, (free of course). This will include any articles in newspapers about them. There were over 1,100 casualties from Waterford died during the war.
Regards.
 Tom

Offline bernie22010

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 12:12 GMT (UK) »
i would be greatfull if you would try trace 2 names for me john henderson born tryone royal inniskilling fusiliers
patrick mcneill bron co.down annaclonne they were both in the ww1
many thanks bernie

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paul.
 There are some Cunninghams in Tipperary who were killed in ww1 but none from the Tipp side of Carrick, they are mostly from Clonmel. There are no Cunninghams in the Waterford Book.

Bernie.
 I only have information on guys who died.These men survived.
 Regards.
 Tom.

Offline PaulAshe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom
Thanks for the reply. Would you happen to have the details on those from Clonmel or know where I could get the information? I realise that the Cunninghams spread out around Carrick but weren't originally from Carrick itself.

Gratefully
Paul

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 14:49 GMT (UK) »
There you go.
Enjoy.
CUNNINGHAM, ARTHUR JOSEPH. Rank: Second Lieutenant. Regiment or Service: London Regiment (London Irish Rifles). Unit; 18th Bn. Age at Death: 25. Date of Death: 15-09-1916. Killed in Action. Awards: D C M. He is listed in the London Gazette dated 11-3-1916. His citation reads; “1694 Sgt. (now 2nd Lt) A. J. Cunningham, 18th (County of London) London Irish Rifles, London Regt., TF. For conspicuous gallantry. During the attack he assumed command of his company when the officers became wounded, and led it with conspicuous bravery and skill until wounded himself”. Supplementary information; Son of Patrick Tuhan Cunningham and Margaret Cunningham, of 43, Tavistock Rd, Westbourne Park, London. Born at Clonmel, Co. Tipperary. Grave or Memorial Reference: XII. B. 11. Cemetery: Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval in France.

CUNNINGHAM, J. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Fusiliers. Age at Death: 23. Date of Death: 07-04-1919. Service No: 40016. Transferred to the Labour Corps where his number was 670626. Grave or Memorial Reference: E. H. 20. Cemetery: St Michaels New Cemetery, Tipperary. ]

CUNNINGHAM, JAMES F. Rank: Lance Corporal. Regiment or Service: Irish Guards. Unit; 1st Bn. Date of Death: 20-11-1914. Service No: 2114. Born in Clonmel. Enlisted in Dublin while living in Pimlico in Middlesex. Died of wounds at home. Grave or Memorial Reference: R. 291. Cemetery: Aldershot Military Cemetery, UK.

Image 44
Cpl John Cunningham. VC.

CUNNINGHAM, JOHN. Rank: Corporal. Regiment or Service: Leinster Regiment. Unit; 4th Coy. 2nd Bn. Age at Death: 29. Date of Death: 16-04-1917. Service No: 8916 Awards: V C. Born in Thurles in 1890 and enlisted there also. Died of wounds at Bois-En-Hache. Supplementary information; Son of Johanna and the late Joseph Cunningham, of Stradavoher St, Thurles, Co. Tipperary. The second son lost to a widowed mother in the war. Grave or Memorial Reference: I. A. 39. Cemetery: BARLIN COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION. An extract taken from The London Gazette, dated 8th June, 1917. records the following: "For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty when in command of a Lewis Gun section on the most exposed flank of the attack. His section came under heavy enfilade fire and suffered severly. Although wounded he succeeded almost alone in reaching his objective with his gun, which he got into action in spite of much oppositon. When counter-attacked by a party of twenty of the enermy he exhausted his ammuntion against them, then, standing in full view, he commenced throwing bombs. He was wounded again, and fell, but picked himself up and continued to fight single-handed with the enemy until his bombs were exhausted. He then made his way back to our lines with a fractured arm and other wounds. There is little doubt that the superb courage of this N. C. O. cleared up a most critical situation on the left flank of the attack. Corporal Cunningham died in hospital from the effects of his wounds.
Image 44A
CUNNINGHAM, JOHN. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Fusiliers. Unit; Transferred to the Labour Corps where his number was 670626. Date of Death: 07-04-1919. Service No: 40016. Son of Patrick Cunningham who died in 1928. Grave or Memorial Reference: E. H. 104. Cemetery: St Michaels New Cemetery, Tipperary.
Image 45

CUNNINGHAM, M. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment Unit; transferred to the Labour Corps where his number was 230920. Date of Death: 29th September 1919. Service No: 6766. Rock of Cashel Cemetery. Grave location; North-East of the Cathedral.
Image 46

CUNNINGHAM, PATRICK. Rank: Acting Corporal. Regiment or Service: Leinster Regiment. Unit; 1st Bn. Date of Death: 4-6-1915. Service No: 10181. Formerly he was with the Royal Irish Regiment where his number was 10381. Born in Thurles. Enlisted in Templemore. Died of Wounds at home. Supplementary information; Brother of John Cunningham V. C (see Johns information above). Grave or Memorial Reference: South of the West end of the Church. Cemetery; Thurles (St Marys) Church of Ireland Churchyard.

CUNNINGHAM, PATRICK. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Connaught Rangers. Unit; 1st Bn. Age at Death: 29. Date of Death: 30-11-1914. Service No: 10232. Born in Roscrea and enlisted in Templemore while living in Roscrea. Died of wounds. Supplementary information; Son of Sarah Cunningham, of 43, Railway View, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary. Grave or Memorial Reference: III. A. 61. Cemetery: Bethune Town Cemetery in France.

Regards.
 Tom.