Author Topic: Waterford WW1 lookups available  (Read 73251 times)

Offline Coffey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterford WW1 lookups available
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 11:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tom for the rapid reply  :D I will have a look through these names. I was realy hoping 'Navy' would be listed.
I found a Thomas Kiely myself which seems to fit all the information I have but I don't know if it is possible to find his service record? Maybe you can tell me, would C2221 be a service number? or maybe a log/page number?
Thank you again  :)

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 12:08 BST (UK) »
The Public records office in Kew or Ancestry is your next place to trawl for records.
C2221 could be anything really.
 Regards
 Tom.

Offline BEF to BALLYKINLAR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 20 November 10 23:02 GMT (UK) »
My Granduncle William Reardon was killed on August 5th 1917 near poperinghe . His brother John O'Riordan my grandfather was along with Will one of the first members of the B.E.F. to land in France in 1914. He later returned to become a very importatnt member of the IRA in the war of independence. He was training officer and trained the Mansfields,Px Whelan and company in the use of firearms. He devised the plan for the Piltown ambush along with GEORGE lennon and this has been acknowledged as the most succesful operation of the War Of Independence in terms of weapons seized..Later interned by the British in 1921 he became head of the escape committee in Bllykinlar. By an extraordinary twist of fate he was rescued from execution by an old WW1 comrade Penney who vouched for him as a veteran of the war. I am interested to know if you have any details on the death of Will. I know where he is buried and have visited his grave. Also John Lannon strand st Dungarvan who died in 1917 in the april offensive by Ludendorf near Saint Quentin..I have also visited his grave.

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 20 November 10 23:27 GMT (UK) »
REARDON, WILLIAM. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment.
Unit; 2nd Battalion. Date of Death: 05-August-1917. Service No: 8204.
Born in Dungarvan, County Waterford. Enlisted in Dungarvan, County Waterford. Died of Wounds. Grave or Memorial Reference: XVII. B. 7A. Cemetery: Lijssenthoek Military Cemetary in Belgium.

LANNON, JOHN. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. Unit: 7th/8th Battalion. Age at death; 24. Date of Death: 21-March-1918. Service No: 26509. Previously he was with the Royal Munster Fusiliers where his number was 3588. Born in Kilmacthomas, County Waterford. Enlisted in Cork. Killed in Action.
Supplementary information; Son of Patrick and Johanna Lannon, of Strand St, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: II. A. 35. Cemetery: Templeux-Le-Guerard British Cemetery Extension in France.

Neither of these two men are in the Waterord papers. Williams Will, dated 08-August-1914 shows his efects were received by his wife, Mrs Ellen Reardon. Shanon Street, Dungavan. John Lannons effects were received by Mr Patrick Lannon, Cross Strand Street, Dungarvan.
 Regards.
 Tom.

Offline BEF to BALLYKINLAR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 20 November 10 23:34 GMT (UK) »
just a further point of info..ellen was the mother of the famous Dungarvan boxer Peter Crotty whose father ( wills 1st cousin) married ellen after the war...

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 22 November 10 10:33 GMT (UK) »
The complete list of names (Roll of Honour) will be in tommorrows Waterford News and Star.
Regards.
 Tom.,

Offline Abbeysider

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 21:21 GMT (UK) »
James Drummey born in Abbeyside   
 Number:  42308   Private

Regiment:  Auckland Regiment Battalion:  1st ,France and Flanders

Place of Birth:  Abbeyside, Dungarvan

Date of Death:  04 Oct 1917
Not included in book. Is there any additional information available?

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 22:27 GMT (UK) »
The New Zealand archives are not available to view free. If you wish to order his you may do so here;-
http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=20998749
He is not listed in any newspaper article or in any war dead database that records his birth in Waterford. He is not in Ireland memorial Records. If you do order his records,and it shows his birth in Waterford and would be willing to pass on the enlistment document  I will ensure he is included in the reprint.
Regards.
 Tom.

Offline Abbeysider

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 11:47 GMT (UK) »

http://locdat.waterfordcountylibrary.ie/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=12F3620G4545R.32506&profile=war&uri=link=3100020~!726~!3100001~!3100002&aspect=basic&menu=search&ri=1&source=~!lhist&term=Drummy%2C+James&index=WNAMBR#focus
James (Jimmy) Drummey

1889   - 1917
I will forward copy of official war record to pm if required

Jimmy Drummey was born in Shear St, Abbeyside on 15th October 1889. One of nine children his father was James Drummey and his mother was Bridget Whelan both also of Abbeyside. His father who was a seaman and captain of the Schooner “Tregunnel” was lost at sea in 1905 when the ship sank with the loss of all hands.

James inevitably became a sailor and his career took him to the furthest reaches of the world. In 1915 he is recorded as being an able seaman aboard the Ketch “Waro” when she was in collision with another vessel in the North Island, New Zealand.

In November 1916 Jimmy enlisted in the New Zealand Army and on 14th March 1917 he embarked aboard the Troopship “Ruapehu” and arrived in Devonport, England on 21st May 1917. After brief training in England, Jimmy’s regiment, 1st Auckland Infantry, were sent to Belgium.

On the day that Jimmy Drummey was killed in action, 4th October 1917,  there was a total loss of 1,700 on the New Zealand side and a further 6,500 Australian were also killed in the Battle of Broodseinde  in the Passchendaele Campaign in Ypres.

Jimmy Drummey’s name is commemorated on the Tynecot Memorial in Ypres, Belgium and in Auckland, New Zealand. His next of kin on the Auckland Museum Cenotaph record is his sister Ms Alice Drummey (O’Brien) Shear St. Abbeyside.