Author Topic: Walter (Cyril Walter Edmund) Dale of Jersey - Family Bible Help  (Read 13113 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter (Cyril Walter Edmund) Dale of Jersey - Family Bible Help
« on: Sunday 27 September 09 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hello

This is a slightly unusual request but I really don't know which other avenue to try (I would be grateful if there are other avenues you could suggest). I have been researching the Welsh side of my family history and speaking to my Uncle he said there was a family bible and the last known person to own the bible was Walter Dale from Jersey. Therefore I am trying to trace the family bible (which according to my Uncle was contained in a "bible chest") and am interested in any information it may contain about family births, marriages, deaths etc. The information it will contain relates to the Rees side of my family. I have traced this line but along the way have had to make some assumptions (with such a common name as Rees) and therefore am hoping the bible (if it still exists) would help me greatly in my research. Facts that I know about Walter are given below. I have an outside hope that someone might recognise these details and may be able to provide with contact details of a family member from Jersey who I can continue this enquiry with or point me generally in the right direction.

Walter Dale (my first Cousin 1x removed) i.e. a son of the sister of my Grandmother.
Walter died, very approximately, 10yrs ago and was aged around 60yrs of age. I have no address. What happened to the family bible after his death we have no idea and it may not even exist anymore, but there is always hope that it might.
Although Walter lived for most of his life in Jersey I believe he and his parents lived for a time with his great Aunt Winnie (Winifred) Rees who was lived in Aberdare South Wales and who in turn later visted them in Jersey.
Walter I believe originally worked in Sales and according to my Uncle his last venture was running a dry cleaning business in Jersey in association with his second wife Joe (I have no name or address for the business).

Walter and Joe had 3 children: Nicki, Claire and James (in that order according to my Uncle).
Walter's parents were Edith (Hannah Edith) Rees who was born in 1905 (Hillside, Pontyberem, South Wales) and Cyril Dale. They moved to Jersey in the 1930's where Cyril was Manager (at Aery (????)) and Edith was a teacher. The last known address I have for Edith and Cyril is Hillside, Wellington road, Jersey.

If anyone can provide any help/guidance it would be most appreciated.

Roy

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Walter (Cyril Walter Edmund) Dale of Jersey - Family Bible Help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 October 09 16:27 BST (UK) »
Have sent you a PM.

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 October 09 19:42 BST (UK) »
I see your article was printed in the Jersey Evening Post today.

Stewart

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 October 09 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart

I trust you got my reply to your PM. Thanks for letting me know. I knew it was going to appear in the on-line version of the post but was unsure if it would make it to print as well. Someone else suggested I also try this approach, I will then have covered all obvious avenues.  It also has a certain discretionary element in that if there are family members out there who know anything about it the bible and want to get in contact then it is up to them if they want to get in contact with me. If they don't then I will respect their wishes and just leave it as it is. It is always difficult to know how to approach such research, especially with branches of the family you have lost contact with. From my point of view as a researcher of our family history I see it as a potentially important historical document of our families history, but equally I don't want to pursue this at all costs and view it as a purely academic matter. This is a once only, try all avenues approach and if I am very fortunate it may produce some results, but if it doesn't then I will just leave it as it is.

Roy

Offline scatty

• RootsChat Senior
  • Just love my genes !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 October 09 18:29 BST (UK) »
I have also sent you a pm and wish you every success.

Scatty
Fitzgerald/Mullane/Riordan/Heaphy/Barrett, O'Brien, Doneraile area
McCormack/ Brophy/Egan/Gavin,  Tullamore area
McCormack, Corr, Dublin
Hennessey and Heaphy in South Wales Valleys

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Just thought I would revive this query in the hope that it may jog the memory of newer members. I have been able to confirm in the interim that the bible definitely did exist and was posted to my great aunt Edith Dale (nee Rees) and her husband Cyril Dale in 1985. I did have a possible lead about a year ago from a daughter of their son Walter Dale, but after an initial contact from her I have been unable to make any further contact.

Family members it is likely to mention are my great grandfather Walter Rees born 19 Jun 1871, New Inn, Pontyates, who married Margaret Thomas on 25 Dec 1892.

Thank you

Offline sudengab

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 May 12 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hallo.
I am a former grammar school pupil of your great aunt Winifred Rees who was one of the key people in my life for a long time. I want to write an article in her memory for the school homepage and wondered whether you have any information on her early life, or when exactly she began teaching in Aberdare etc. etc
Any information gratefully received, I look forward to hearing from you.Susan

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hallo.
I am a former grammar school pupil of your great aunt Winifred Rees who was one of the key people in my life for a long time. I want to write an article in her memory for the school homepage and wondered whether you have any information on her early life, or when exactly she began teaching in Aberdare etc. etc
Any information gratefully received, I look forward to hearing from you.Susan

Hi Susan

I have sent you a pm (personal message) with some information. Please let me know if you have received it OK

Offline Daisy dog

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 June 13 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
I think I knew this family in Sutton Coldfield
Please message me