Author Topic: Is Ling a Romany name?  (Read 6937 times)

Offline Sian the smith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is Ling a Romany name?
« on: Sunday 27 September 09 16:30 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where I can find out if the suname Ling is a Romany one? Thank you.

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
Re: Is Ling a Romany name?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 September 09 16:37 BST (UK) »
I just checked one source ~ Bob Dawson: " A Romany in the Family " ~ for ye. Not listed in there.

But, as he and I are both always at pains to point out; That only Proves that Bob hasn't personally come across its usage  ;)
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Sian the smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 September 09 16:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your speedy reply! We understand our distant cousins of the same name are showground people and were always led to believe that one branch of the family were travellers a century ago. However, our family history is littered with romantic tales and often it's more interesting to find out the truth :)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 September 09 16:53 BST (UK) »
Ah! Now, Show People? That's a whole different ball game.

Yeppers. Your Ling people could well have been 'Travelling Showmen'. Ye might find them " Living in caravans ", the whole shebang. Bob's book focuses on " Gypsys ", see?

There was a lot of cross over ~ Ayres springs to mind as a name associated with both 'proper Gypsys' and Show People.

So, working on the basis that smoke generally has to come from somewhere? I'd start digging around the more Show Folk dedicated areas  :)

Try running a Search, on this board, under " Show* ". I've seen dedicated Showman sites listed here. That may narrow ye search down  ;)
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Sian the smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 September 09 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve. Many thanks for that. I hadn't thought about the distinction between showmen and gypsies before. And of course in our romantic family stories we're always "real" romany! :) I shall put some proper research into this - and thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
Sian

Offline Ellesse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 16:29 BST (UK) »

This is a good site for fairground information - Ling is definitely a showman's name

http://www.fun-fairs.co.uk

Offline mang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 October 09 00:55 BST (UK) »
lings were a doncaster based fairground firm u can see a picture of their waltzer in the fairground and circus book by white most showmans families have romani backrounds wether they like it or not the boswells were the first family to have a fairground ride on the south shore in blackpool before it become the pleasure beach most people of romani background know it was the romany families who started the fairs

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 October 10 15:20 BST (UK) »
lings were a doncaster based fairground firm u can see a picture of their waltzer in the fairground and circus book by white most showmans families have romani backrounds wether they like it or not the boswells were the first family to have a fairground ride on the south shore in blackpool before it become the pleasure beach most people of romani background know it was the romany families who started the fairs

ling is a romany name ,
my family knew some ling's from the yorkshire coast .
also "doncaster" has always had many historical ties with yorkshire romany families too

Offline jonnythestrap

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 November 10 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I have a friend who would like to talk to you about your family connection to The Evans, when you are next online i would appreciate you getting back to me and perhaps we could arrange a time to speak