Author Topic: Fox family - Roxburghshire & Wroxeter, Huron in Canada  (Read 4188 times)

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fox family - Roxburghshire & Wroxeter, Huron in Canada
« on: Sunday 27 September 09 23:26 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out a little more about the Fox family.   

My initial information starts with James Fox and Alison (sometimes recorded as Alice) nee Stewart.   They are at Brownrig in Roxburghshire in the 1851 Census.   Curiously I cannot find them in 1841 or in the 1861 Census.

James recorded as 61 in 1851 census and  was born at Crailing in Roxburgshire.   Alison was recorded as 60 and born in England.   The children appear to have been born at Sprouston.

I am interested in two of their children, namely Agnes and Robert.   Agnes, aged 27,  married Andrew Whellans in 1859 at Morebattle.   I am aware of Agnes's history.   Robert married Jane P Whellans in 1863 in Hawick.   Therefore Agnes and Robert who were brother and sister married brother and sister Andrew and Jane.

At the time of their marriage Robert's occupation was listed as a railway labourer but by 1866 when their son James was born he was a grocer and spirit dealer.   Jane's father was also a grocer and spirit dealer at this same address in Hawick so I am supposing he worked with/for him or took over the business.

However it appears that Jane and Robert moved to Wroxeter, Huron in Canada and in 1893 their son James married Maria Louisa Stewart.   I know that James had a druggist store there in Wroxeter, and they had at least two sons, namely Stewart Fox & Harry Wheelans Fox.

Any more information would be gratefully received.

Brina :)

Offline ankerpep_52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fox family - Roxburghshire & Wroxeter, Huron in Canada
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 May 15 20:45 BST (UK) »
 Brina: Did you ever receive the information you requested?  I have some info on the Fox family for you. My father lived in Wroxeter with his parents and I have a book on Howick Township which Wroxeter is in. The Fox family is mentioned-James had the drugstore from 1893 until 1897. Then James Allen continued the business until 1951.Three businesses were together on Centre St, and the buildings were demolished in 1989, the fronts of these stores were preserved and form a streetscape in the Huron County Museum in Goderich Ontario. There is no mention of the grocery store.being owned or operated by Fox"s.  At one time David & Pamela Fox lived on Concession 14, Lot 27 and a Linda Fox lived Consession 4 Lot L6North. If you are interested in researching this further, please contact me for my e-mail . James' wife Maria L Stewart-There were a few Stewart families as well. My Smith relatives were also from Roxburghshire and immigrated to Wroxeter. Janet Rasmussen  ankerpep_52.

BOKOTA-Hampshire & Surrey/ SI(Y)MONDS-Kent, Ldn PAPANICOLAOU-Hampshire /HARTLEY- Derby&Ldn/ SMITH-Ldn/ COLE-Hants & Ldn/ CREED-Berks, Ldn, Oxfordshire/ BRADLEY, DOCWRA & LAND- Islington &Kent/  HUMPHERSTON-Ldn./ ALLEN-Ldn & Surrey/ DOWNEY & DAVIDSON & FITCHARD-NBL & Durham, HARTLEY-Montreal QC Canada
RASMUSSEN-Storring Arhus,& SORENSEN,& JENSEN- Veng,& Hjelmslev, Skanderborg Denmark/HANSEN-Fejo,Fuglse,Maribo,DK

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 May 15 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Brina & Ankerpep_52,

I have an interest in the Fox family as follows:

In 1861 I have Andrew & Agnes F Whelllans in Morebattle, Roxburghshire in 1861 aged 24 & 28 respectively. With them are children Mary Fox Whellans aged 4, Andrew D Whellans aged 1 & James W Whellans aged 4 months. Also with them are two nieces Euphemia & Isabella Hills aged 11 & 9 years respectively.

The Hills girls are my area of interest, they along with another sister Alison Hills b1848 were the daughters of Agnes Whellans (Nee' Fox) sister Mary Fox who had married Ninian Hills in 1845 in Greenlaw, Berwickshire. All three girls were born in Morebattle. The Hill/Hills family are living in Morebattle in 1851, but after Isabella's birth in Oct 1852, Ninian, Mary & the eldest child Alison vanish off the face of the earth. I have recently traced Euphemia to her death in 1942 in Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland but have as yet to determine Isabella's story as well.

Do either of you have any info regarding the Hills/Hill family by any chance? This is something that I have been trying to solve for approximately 20 years, never finding very much!

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline ankerpep_52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 07:49 BST (UK) »
David: As my Smith family came to Canada about 1865, most went out west to Saskatchewan and others stayed around Huron Couny in Ontario.  I am not connected to Scotlands people through ancestry so unable to help you. I did check for the Wheelans or Whellans name and Hills in the Huron County book that I have but these names did not show.  May you find some kind soul that will help you locate your missing people in Scotland.  I have many loose ends in my genealogy searches as well.
Never give up.     ankerpep_52  in Canada.
BOKOTA-Hampshire & Surrey/ SI(Y)MONDS-Kent, Ldn PAPANICOLAOU-Hampshire /HARTLEY- Derby&Ldn/ SMITH-Ldn/ COLE-Hants & Ldn/ CREED-Berks, Ldn, Oxfordshire/ BRADLEY, DOCWRA & LAND- Islington &Kent/  HUMPHERSTON-Ldn./ ALLEN-Ldn & Surrey/ DOWNEY & DAVIDSON & FITCHARD-NBL & Durham, HARTLEY-Montreal QC Canada
RASMUSSEN-Storring Arhus,& SORENSEN,& JENSEN- Veng,& Hjelmslev, Skanderborg Denmark/HANSEN-Fejo,Fuglse,Maribo,DK

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 12:49 BST (UK) »
according to maxwell ancestry - free census records the family were living in the Greenlaw parish at rowieston in 1841

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ankerpep_52 & Terianne,

Ankerpep_52, Many thanks for checking your book, much appreciated & as you say I won't give up!

Terianne, you say that 'according to maxwell ancestry - free census records the family were living in the Greenlaw parish at rowieston in 1841'. Which family, the Whellans, Fox or Hills/Hill family? If its the Hills/Hill family would it be possible to have the census details as I don't have access to either Ancestry or Scotlands People? Many thanks in advance.

Thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 10:06 BST (UK) »
I was talking about the Fox family being in Greenlaw, Berwickshire  in 1841

Also for you reference maxwellancestry.com is available online and has access to some very interesting info on the area. - (it's a licensed source).

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Terianne,

Many thanks for that much appreciated. Will now go & have a peruse of maxwellancestry.com & see what I can find! ;D

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David