Author Topic: 39th Regiment of Foot  (Read 29206 times)

Offline Anda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 39th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 16 December 10 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I hope someone can help me with the later postings of the Regiment. My 3x Great Grandfather was Cpl Samuel Toy. He married Anne Beswick on 7 July 1841 in Kamptee, Madras. They had a daughter Esther, born 1844 in Dinnapore. She then married a John Hill, also believed to be a soldier but I don't know which Regiment and they had a son, also John born in India somewhere and then went on to have more children in Chatham, Aldershot and Dublin. I assume that this is where he was posted.
Any help on the 39th; Samuel Toy, any background on him before India and John Hill, especially info on what possible regiment he may have been with would be gratefully received. I have drawn a blank on usual sources.
Cheers

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 22 May 11 00:35 BST (UK) »
Fellow Listers

It looks as if there haven't been any posts to this thread for a while, but just in case anyone is still watching it, I would value any information about Lt Charles COX, who was detached from the 39th during its time in Sydney to serve on Norfolk Island. It looks as if he was Court Martialled in 1827 for apparent insubordination and ungentlemanly conduct by Captain Thomas E Wright, although this doesn't seem to have resulted in any disciplinary action.

He sailed with the Regiment to Madras in July 1832, but died shortly afterwards of cholera.

If anyone can help me to reconstruct his career - the whole of it in the 39th - I would really appreciate the help.

Kind regards

Philip Candy
Toowoomba, Queensland

Offline tamworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 01 October 12 06:46 BST (UK) »
I have just come across this thread which seems to have some knowledgeable researchers so I'm hoping someone can help me. I am looking for career, or any, information for John Cox of the 39th Regiment of Foot.
He arrived in Australia in 1827 on board the Champion. The only information that I have is that he belonged to the 39th Regiment of Foot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tamworth

Offline HMT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 19 November 12 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Private George McGrath (service period ca. 1809-1832)

Hi everyone

I am hoping someone might have come across Private George McGrath's name in a muster book/pay list for the 39th Regiment from approximately May 1809 to 30 June 1832 when he was discharged after 22 years and 11 months service in the Colony of NSW.

I am hoping to find a service number for him so I can see if a researcher can research through the muster books/pay lists at Kew to try and track his earlier enlistment history until he went to the Colony of NSW via Tasmania.

George was born about 1790 or 1794, place unknown. He came Australia as a convict guard being part of a detachment of the 39th Regiment of Foot that sailed on the ship "William Miles" that arrived in Hobart, Tasmania from Downs, England in July 1828. The detachment sailed from Hobart to Sydney, N.S.W. aboard the ship "Mermaid" in August 1828.  With George was his wife, Rose DILLY (?), and daughters including Elizabeth (born in Ireland ca. 1818-1820) and Mary.

I am particularly interested in finding his location from 27 Dec 1815 to 30 Oct 1818 when the 39th Regiment of the Foot was part of the British Army of Occupation of France at Pas-de-Calais between towns of ARRAS (1000 men) and ST POL (1500 men) moving annually to camps of ST OMER and VALENGENNES.  It appears likely that George met his future French wife Mary Rose Dilly in this area in France at the time.

I am also interested in finding out his whereabouts when the 1st battalion of the 39th was ordered to North America following hostilities between Great Britain and the United States 1812-1814, embarking for Canada on 8th June 1814, and arrived in Quebec on 5th August 1814, and marched from there to Chambly.  After being ordered to participate in an attack upon the state of New York, and 2 officers and 60 men of the 39th detached on board British ships on Lake Champlain on 11 September, the troops retired to lower Canada, embarking at Quebec on 27 May 1815, to return to Europe where Napoleon Bonaparte had returned.

Any replies would be most gratefully received.

Helen

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 19 November 12 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen

I have a muster for the 2nd Battalion for 1814-15. He is not listed so he must be with the 1st Bn. The two battalions merged to form a single regiment in 1815.

Downs is the area of sea off Deal, Kent. It was protected from the north and west by the coast and from the east by the Goodwin Sands. There are records suggesting up to 800 ships could lay at anchor there.

Regimental numbers were only issued in the late 1820s. Knowing his number may however be useful, as they were issued in order of longest serving. So may help to find his enlistment.

Ken

Offline HMT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 19 November 12 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken
Thanks very much for you prompt response, and information about him not being listed for the 2nd battalion for 1814-15, and also about regimental numbers not being issued until the late 1820s.
Kind regards
Helen

Offline kerbent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 19 November 12 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
This is all very intriguing, I have a brickwall in my research concerning the father of Kate Dutton who was born in 1857 in Geelong, Australia her father was listed as Thomas Dutton Soldier 39th Regn. Infn (or at least that is what I think it reads) he was "about 35 years" and came from London.  Would 39th Regiment of Foot be the same as 39th Regn. Infn?
He seems to have disappeared straight after/or jsut before Kates birth as I haven't been able to track him down or find out what happened to him.
How would I go about finding out in he was in this regiment?
Thanks
Sandra
Sandra,
http://www.ancestralresearchjournal.blogspot.com.au/
Amature Family Historian
Melbourne, Australia

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Would 39th Regiment of Foot be the same as 39th Regn. Infn?

Hi Sandra

I think you are correct in this. However the 39th Regiment left NSW for India in 1832. The 39th had no man of that name in 1861. Could he have been discharged and made his own way to NSW?

Unfortunately the 39th were in Ireland at the time of the 1851 census. You could research the muster books but even if you find that a Thomas Dutton had served in the 39th you then have to tie him in to the man in Australia in 1857.

Posting the image that led you to the 39th may help.

Ken

Offline kerbent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas Dutton - 39th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 22 November 12 05:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,
I am not sure what the rules are for posting a certificate so I have posted an excerpt -  the informant on the birth certificate was a friend so I'm not sure how reliable the information is, his daughter Kate Dutton was born on the 21 December 1857 in Geelong, her mother was Mary Dillon who was 28 who had been born in London, the couple had married in London in 1856.  this is the only reference I have been able to find to the father.  so he may have been retired from the 39th Regiment, I simply don't know.
I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Sandra
Sandra,
http://www.ancestralresearchjournal.blogspot.com.au/
Amature Family Historian
Melbourne, Australia