Author Topic: Richard RUMBELOW  (Read 15690 times)

Offline loopylady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard RUMBELOW
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 18:08 BST (UK) »
post 2

Offline loopylady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 18:09 BST (UK) »
post 3

Offline rumbers

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 September 11 09:03 BST (UK) »
Did you know that the Australian branch of the Rumbelows left Mildenhall in the mid 19th century and ended up at Victor Harbor (Adelaide) that was called Rumbelowtown?  It was a successful whaling community for many years - my Australian namesake Matt Rumbelow has all the details including the original ship's log...

Offline Judy Brodie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 September 11 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard, I sure did. I have done a lot of work on the Rumbelow family, amongst others from Mildenhall and Lakenheath areas. If you need anything let me know. Judy (Australia)
Hendley, Horne, Sheridan, Hyland, Giddings, Morley, Johnson, Bailey, Farby, Dewey, Craigen, Pocknall, Seaton, Uffindell, Alford, Partridge, Oldham, Crow, Peachey,

Offline BigSinger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 11:15 BST (UK) »
I'm completely new to this.  I've been researching John Taylor of Eriswell, my grandfather on my mother's side.  He is the son of John Taylor and Rebecca Taylor (nee Rumbelow) who married on 23.07.1887.  She in turn is the daughter of Richard Rumbelow and Mary Ann Rumbelow (nee Reynolds), born 14.04.1865 in West Row Mildenhall.  Rebecca had two boys, John Taylor (my grandfather) and William.  She died 12.06.1889 as a result of her clothes catching fire.  I have found newspaper articles from the time.  Her mother (Mary Ann Rumbelow) was staying with them at the time in Cemetery Road, and was just about to leave for London (Rebecca was making a cup of tea on the hearth and also attending to John), when the back of her dress caught fire.

My mother thought that John Taylor junior was born on 11.12.1888, but this doesn't look right based on census records and other information.  I think that he was probably conceived before the marriage, and may well have been born before the marriage.  My mother understood that he was either born or spent his early years in the East End of London.  Census information of John Taylor senior shows him living alone at Cemetery Road in 1891, i.e. after Rebecca died.  I assume that the two boys were at that time living with their grandmother Mary Ann Rumbelow, and that this was in the East End of London, although I have no evidence for this.  John Taylor senior remarried on 05.12.1891 to Hannah Cooper and they went on to have 4 children (Frederick, Arthur, Margaret and Eric).  The 1901 census shows John Taylor senior and Hannah living with the 6 children at Rakeheath Cottage, Eriswell.  John Taylor junior stated age at the census date was 14, (suggesting he was born between 30.03.1886 and 31.03.1887).

I have been unable to find John Taylor junior birth records  Have you any ideas on this?  Also, more generally what do you know of the Rumbelow family history.  I am planning to go to Mildenhall later this year to visit local churches etc.  Do you know of anything I could look for?

John Taylor junior joined the army aged 15 (circa 1902).  He was a farrier / horseman and fought right through the First World War on the western front (Ypres).  He married Elsie May Robberts on 26.01.1916 at Ringwood parish church (Hampshire), having apparently met in Melton Mowbray.  Elsie May already had two daughters (Phyllis and Ena) and John and Elsie May went on to have 5 more children (Sybil, my mother, Edwin, Hazel, Michael and Beryl).  John Taylor died 31.03.1942 in Ringwood of emphesyma.

Offline Judy Brodie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, I know that John Taylor was baptised on the 4th Sep 1887 at St Marys Mildenhall, Suffolk to John and Rebecca Taylor. They also had another son William Spencer Taylor baptised on the 1st July 1888 at the same church. I also know that Rebecca Taylor was buried on the 15th Jun 1889. 2nd marriage 5th Dec 1891 at Mildenhall, John labourer a widower of Mildenhall son of Reuben deceased labourer & Hannah single woman aged 22 of Mildenhall daughter of Cowell Cooper farm labourer. Regards Judy
Hendley, Horne, Sheridan, Hyland, Giddings, Morley, Johnson, Bailey, Farby, Dewey, Craigen, Pocknall, Seaton, Uffindell, Alford, Partridge, Oldham, Crow, Peachey,

Offline BigSinger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 14:46 BST (UK) »
Well, I'm amazed at the information on this site.  John Taylor was baptised 04.09.1887 and his parent (John and Rebecca) married 23.07.1887.  That confirms that she was either (heavily) pregnant with John when they married, or he was born prior to the wedding.  I guess that you don't know his birth date, but this suggests that he was indeed born local to Mildenhall.    It's odd that there is no birth record for him, unless I am missing something.  Maybe he was registered John Rumbelow if he was born prior to the wedding??  From the thread here, the interest is on the Rumbelow side of the family.  I'm about to order birth certificate for John Taylor senior (born O-D 1867).  His parents were Reuben Taylor (labourer) and Alice? Taylor (nee Elsegood).  Does anyone have any information about these people?

Many thanks for these fascinating insights.

Offline BigSinger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 16:23 BST (UK) »
John Taylor's birth was registered in Mildenhall J-M 1887, i.e. before his parents were married.  He is registered as John Taylor Rumbelow.  I've ordered the birth certificate, plus a number of others of based on information from this site.

Many thanks

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi all, a couple of articles about Richard Rumbelow-just wonder if they are connected to your relative?

Bury Free Press - Saturday 09 July 1881
NEWMARKET AUCTION MART
Bury St. Edmund's and Mildenhall WEST ROW AND WILDE STREET, MILDENHALL, SUFFOLK. ELIGIBLE SMALL INVESTMENTS, comprising21 SUBSTANTIALLY ERECTED COTTAGES, WITH CONVENIENT OUTBUILDINGS, GARDENS, and ALLOTMENTS of LAND, producing an annual rental of £8O per annum, which MESSRS. WILLIAMS AND WOOD Are favoured with instructions from the surviving Trustee under the will of the late Mr. JOHN ROLFE and Mrs. ANN ROLFE, to Sell by Auction, on MONDAY, July 11th, 1881, at the Plough Inn, West Row, at Six o’clock in the Evening, in the following lots :
Lot 1. A Freehold, Brick, Stone, and Tiled DWELLING HOUSE and SHOP, with COTTAGE adjoining, situate at West Row, Mildenhall, with convenient Outbuildings, Well of Water, and Gardens front and rear, containing 33 poles, now occupied by John Crick and James Brown, at yearly rents amounting to £9 10«.
Lot 2. A Stone and Thatched COTTAGE, and a Cottage Wasted, situate at Bagsham, West Row, with large piece of Garden Ground, the whole containing by the Parish Survey 30 Poles.
Lot 3. All those FOUR Freehold Stud, Plastered and Thatched COTTAGES, situate at West Row, with Outbuildings and Gardens, Well of Water, and other conveniences, abutting upon the Street, containing by the Parish Survey 22 Poles, now occupied by S. Rumbelow and others, at rents amounting to £lO 18s. per annum.
Lot 4. TWO Freehold Stud, Plaster, Partly Tiled and Partly Thatched COTTAGES, with Boarded Outbuildings, abutting upon the roadway, containing by the Parish Survey 17 Poles, now occupied by J. Hood and J. Pitches, at the yearly rent of £8 15s.
Lot 5 All that Freehold ALLOTMENT GARDEN GROUND, situate West Row, opposite Lot 3, containing by the Parish Survey 1 Rood and 26 Poles, now occupied by J. Hood and others.
 Lor 6. All those three-stud plastered and thatched TENEMENTS, situate West Row, Mildenhall, with gardens, well of water, and convenient outbuildings, now occupied by Richard Rumbelow and others, at rents amounting to £8 12s. per annum ; also a stone and thatched COTIAGE adjoining, occupied by Hannah Coe, at the yearly rent of £2 10s.
Lot 7. All that substantially-erected brick, stone, and thatched COTTAGE, with large garden well planted with fruit trees and bushes, and containing by the said survey 26 poles, now occupied by Thomas Rumbelow, the yearly rental of £4 5s.Lot 8. All those two substantially-erected freehold brick, stone, and tiled COTTAGES, with boarded and thatched lodges; also a brick and thatched COTTAGE adjoining, occupied by George Aves and two others, at rents amounting to Is. per annum; adjoining are two stud and thatched COTTAGES, with outbuildings, large barn, and capital piece of Garden Ground, now tenanted by Charles Mason and others, at rents amounting to £9 10s. per annum.

Tom