Author Topic: Help A Newbie Day  (Read 2076 times)

Offline maron17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help A Newbie Day
« on: Monday 28 September 09 15:27 BST (UK) »
I am STUCK.  I'm very new at this one one relative in particular is causing concern  :(   I have an ancestor named Sydney Thomson (a woman, born in Ireland - somewhere) around 1831.  In 1873 in Scotland she married George Graham who was born c1829 in Fermanagh.  His parents James and Jane (nee Thomson) and his siblings all moved to Scotland somewhere in the mid 1800s.  James Graham's father was George Graham born 1780ish and his mother Nancy Spiers. 

My question is this, was Sydney also a local girl in Ireland or did they meet by chance in Scotland?  Did she travel with the Grahams to marry George?  Sydney's mum was a D; Johnston (Dorothea?) and her father James Thomson.  Is there anyone in Fermanagh related to any of these people who can help me shed some light?  Surely Sydney is an unusual name for the time?

Help a struggling newbie, anyone?

;)

M17
Kane, Morton, McNeil, Graham, Queen, Connelly, Thomson, Allan, McCall, Wilson, Gibson, Craig, McIntosh, McKenna, Mullen, Cousins, Stienson, Weir, Johnstone, Cameron, Meikle, Mathie, Duffy, Dally, Anderson, Collins,  Tonnar, Dun, King, McMillan, Smith, Clark, Young, Watson, Harkins, McMinn, Walker, Lees, Spiers, Bruce, Holder, Peacock, Binny, Gilmoor, Churnside, Horsburgh, Nimmo, Johnston, Brown, Glasgow, Storer, Emmerson

Offline nenny4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help A Newbie Day
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Maron17, do you have any birth/ marriage /death certificates have you checked census records, which might lead to further information....where in Scotland did they settle? ........ nenny4
Marshall / Thaw / Gowan from Livingston and Kirknewton areas West Lothian  Scotland..... Lough Families Clones Ireland and Glasgow Scotland and U.S.A........ Mckenzie /Glencoe Scotland

Offline maron17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help A Newbie Day
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 09:17 BST (UK) »
I don't have firm dates or even names in some cases.  This is real needle in a haystack stuff.   :o   The Grahams settled in Lanarkshire.  George and Sydney specifically in Stonehouse where their son was born.  I only know that George was born in c1830 in Fermanagh to James Graham (c1804-1881) and Jane Thomson (1809-1876).  Both died in Stonehouse.  And that James parents were George Graham and Nancy Spiers.  The search continues...............   
Kane, Morton, McNeil, Graham, Queen, Connelly, Thomson, Allan, McCall, Wilson, Gibson, Craig, McIntosh, McKenna, Mullen, Cousins, Stienson, Weir, Johnstone, Cameron, Meikle, Mathie, Duffy, Dally, Anderson, Collins,  Tonnar, Dun, King, McMillan, Smith, Clark, Young, Watson, Harkins, McMinn, Walker, Lees, Spiers, Bruce, Holder, Peacock, Binny, Gilmoor, Churnside, Horsburgh, Nimmo, Johnston, Brown, Glasgow, Storer, Emmerson