Author Topic: Lewis Thomas - Naas  (Read 6178 times)

Offline Smuffy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lewis Thomas - Naas
« on: Monday 28 September 09 16:14 BST (UK) »
I am totally new to this so I do hope this makes sense.

I just discovered that a couple of ancestors of mine are buried in St David's churchyard in Naas.  I know very little about them but they are direct ancestors.  Lewis Thomas was Indian Army (I think) and died in India in 1824 but I have found something saying he is buried in the churchyard (maybe just a memorial?).  His father was also Lewis Thomas and I don't have any dates for him at all but I know he married a daughter of Edward Lovett Pearce MP.  That Lewis Thomas always seems to be down as Lewis Thomas, Kilkenny, but I don't know why.

Can anyone suggest if there is some way of finding out more about both men called Lewis Thomas (the younger one was a Major General) and whether they actually lived in Naas for them to be buried there?

Offline Billiejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lewis Thomas - Naas
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 October 09 02:17 BST (UK) »
The Church of Our Lady's & St Davids is situated on the Sallins Rd Naas Co Kildare. Not sure about the Cemetary.
The dates mentioned are when the British Army was stationed in the area EG.  Naas, Newbridge & The Curragh Camp/ HQ.
Many of the soldiers lived, married, died & buried  in the surrounding areas EG The Curragh, Newbridge and Naas.
The library in Naas has a Heritage Centre which can be found in the phone book.

Offline Gill Hancock

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 April 13 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I have just started looking for my father's family and your post dated October on this site popped up.  My father was Allwyn Lewis Thomas (sometimes known as Lewis ap Thomas) and he was born in Sri Lanka in 1914 when his mother was enroute back to UK at the outbreak of the war.  His father was Brig Gen A I Lewis Thomas of the Indian Army.  The only other information we have is that my father was the eldest son of A I Lewis Thomas of Pentreclawdd (?) Carmarthanshire.  Does any of this information connect with your family?  My family would love to find out more.

Offline NAGL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 February 18 18:13 GMT (UK) »
You posted this a long time ago, so not sure if you are still a member.
Lewis Thomas was my however many times grandfather.
He died in Cawnpore in 1824 as a major general commanding the garrison. He is buried there. There is indeed a plaque in the church in Naas, but I am not sure why. His sisters and family lived in Dublin, but I cannot find out where he came from

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 February 18 18:33 GMT (UK) »

Offline NAGL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 February 18 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you