Author Topic: John Kennedy of Mayoghil/Cooleman  (Read 17234 times)

Offline alexaia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Kennedy of Mayoghil/Cooleman
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 October 09 13:10 BST (UK) »
I'm coming back into this post after being away from my computer for a while!  We seem to have diversified a bit but still useful and relevant to my wider research. 

Is that the Samuel Torrens who married Sarah Morrison and who I have recorded as died in Johannesburg or am I barking up the wrong part of the tree?

If it is he was then a brother of my great/great grandparents, Thomas Torrens & Catherine Kennedy and whose daughter Martha married William Fleming.

Don't know if this is of any use to you Kingskerswell, but if you are also researching the Torrens tree have you seen the Public trees on Ancestry which show the Torrens line going back to 1600s?  Needs to be treated with a certain amount of caution without definite evidence of sources though it would appear, if correct, that Hugh Torrens, Samuel's father, married his cousin Margaret Torrens (parents Samuel Torrens & Mary Smith). 

Regards,

Alexander, Miller/Millar, Kennedy, Hamilton, Wilson, Newell, Ennis, Tilson

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 October 09 13:20 BST (UK) »
Alexaia,
            My apologies for the diversification but although I am not chasing the Torrens tree I am interested in a Morrison from my area of interest who married a Torrens and then went on to marry a Stewart and used very familiar names for her children. Thanks for your interest.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline alexaia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 October 09 13:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks, no need to apologize - I'm happy with the diversification as you never know what you will pick up and opens potential new avenues.  Its always useful to have information from wherever source as this genealogy can be a bit of a minefield to negotiate, so any clue or snippet of info can be useful. 

Good luck with your research.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 October 09 13:47 BST (UK) »
Sarah Morrison married 1st (29 Aug.1871) Samuel Torrens and she m.2nd (1882) Isaac Stewart. Samuel Torrens was born 9 Dec.1832 and he and Sarah had a son Hugh Smith Torrens born 22 July 1872. Therefore, it would be logical to assume Samuel Torrens might have died 1872-1882. There is a death for a Samuel Torrans Jan./Mar.1880 Coleraine registration district age 48 which is a possiblity but I haven't checked the actual certificate.
Is there a Samuel Torrens in Jo'burg?
There is a tremendous amount of Torrens information available online and much of it has been copied from other places and needs to be verified.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline alexaia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 October 09 16:55 BST (UK) »
Yes, the Torrens family seem to be a big clan with several public trees and a site dedicated to them.  Each of the trees do seem to tie in though of course risk is that some info is being lifted from one to the other without some form of cross-confirmation of data.   

I have been trying to amalgamate all the data and there are some patterns emerging that suggest the family lines are correct. 

That you mention Hugh Torrens & Sarah (Morrison) had a child called Hugh Smith Torrens would tend to support their lineage backwards to Samuel Torrens, (B.1760, D.1804) who married Mary Ann Smith, (B.1767) through the use of "Smith" as the middle name.  They would have been "HST's" great grandparents and further supports that Hugh Torrens (HST's grandfather) married his cousin.  This is getting confusing but I think I'm making sense.  Apologies if not!!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 October 09 17:05 BST (UK) »
Smith used as a middle name is found in several branches of the Torrens family so you need to be careful. As well as that, several local boys were named Hugh Smith Morrison ___/Hugh Smith ___ after Dr. Hugh Smith Morrison of Oakfort, Moneydig.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline alexaia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 03 October 09 13:26 BST (UK) »
More complications and I thought I had it sussed!!

Thanks for the tip.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 03 October 09 15:29 BST (UK) »
Alexaia,

When I think that I have something sussed it usually means that I am missing something.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline alexaia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 05 October 09 14:34 BST (UK) »
Kingskerswell,

Agree wholeheartedly.

By the way I notice one of the family names you are researching is Stewart.  I was looking through my records and note that I have a Florence Stewart marrying George Hamilton Fleming (part of my family tree) of Garvagh on 24 July 1906.  The marriage was in Saintfield which is some distance from Garvagh so not sure if she was from there.  May not be relevant and if not just ignore.

regards.