Author Topic: RENDELL / RENDLE / RENDALL of West Coker  (Read 13335 times)

Offline Mike E

• Email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
RENDELL / RENDLE / RENDALL of West Coker
« on: Sunday 06 March 05 17:46 GMT (UK) »
I would be pleased to have information on these families in West Coker - around 1770-1850's - especially Giles Rendell, who had a daughter Ann who married George Bird on 11 Oct 1846.

Mike E
Entwistle (Bolton and Edgworth)
Cook(e) (Manchester and Warwicks)
Whitaker (Lancs and Cumberland)
McMillen and Palmer (Co Down)
Hyde and Oakley (Staffs)
Lovet, Edwards and Clark (Salop)
Ratcliffe, Walker and Ruffley (Lancs)
Sainsbury (Gloucs, Cornwall and Yorks)
Laundry (Cornwall)
Waterhouse and Haigh (Yorks)
Bird, Rendel / Rendle, Bull, Stoodley, Shoemake / Shoemark, Groves, Baker, Hallett, Burford, Gaylard, Mounter, Highmore (Somerset)
Barber, Brown (Cheshire)
Waterfield (Derby)

Offline Albert W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rendell / Rendle / Rendall of West Coker
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 15:34 BST (UK) »
My wife is the great-grand-daughter of George Bird born 1815, are you related?

I think my information mainly confirms your own but it goes like this,
There were three Giles Rendals in baptised West Coker namely,
[1]Giles son of William & Frances Rendal bap. 12 July 1789 - known siblings John bap 29 Nov 1798

Offline Albert W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 15:53 BST (UK) »
My wife is the great-grand-daughter of George Bird born 1815, are you related?

I think my information mainly confirms your own but it goes like this,
There were three Giles Rendals in baptised West Coker namely,
[1]   Giles son of William & Frances Rendal bap. 12 July 1789, he may be the one buried 23 April 1831 aged 42 - known siblings John bap 29 Nov 1798
[2]   Giles son of Lot & Mary Rendal bap. 5 Jan 1790 - known siblings Ann bap 16 May 1785 and William bap 20 May 1798
[3]   Giles son of Abraham & Ann Rendall bap. 7 July 1793.   Known siblings include John bap 25 Dec 1785, Mary bap 8 July 1787, Jane 12 July 1789, and Samuel bap 12 July 1795.   There must be others since they buried at least three more, Elias bur 25 March 1792, another Elias bur 17 Dec 1797, and Edward bur 21 Jan 1798.   Probably all these families were baptising somewhere else as well but I haven't found them.
There also seems to be a fourth Giles, buried aged 59 21 Sept 1844 who doesn't fit any of the above.

Giles Rendall married Mary Rendall 29 Nov 1813 and produced Ann bap 18 Sept 1814 she eventually married George Bird 11 Oct 1846, although we believe she then had an illegitimate daughter Ann aged about 10.   It seems to be a bit of a habit in West Coker.   My bet is that Mary is the sister of Giles [3] who was a witness to their wedding.   But I can't make out whether the husband is Giles [1] or Giles [2].

If that is right then Mary's parents are Abraham Randal mason and Ann Penny, married 8 August 1785.   I haven't so far traced either of them further back.

How does this fit your data?

Offline Bobkat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Mike,
 I have several Rendall/Rendell in my family tree:
 Martha Rendall m. Edward Apsey bapt. 1771 West Coker, their daughter Sarah Apsey bapt 1807 m. James Baker b. 1810.
 Lavinia Rendell b. ca. 1840 WC wife of William Farnham b. ca. 1840 WC. Their daughter Rosetta Farnham b. ca. 1875 WC married William Baker b. ca. 1875 WC. William Baker  is a grandson of James Baker and Sarah Apsey. Lavinia and Willams's son Henry Farnham b. ca. 1863 WC married Blanche Roberts b. ca. 1878 WC, Blanche a granddaughter of James and Sarah, first cousin of William.
 Emily Rendell b. ca. 1862 WC m. Frederick Arnold b. ca. 1864 Yeovil. Don't yet know Emily's parents.
 Thanks,
 Bob
Hodder, Symes, Jenner, Baker, Lane, Hambridge, Fox, Marks, Gould, Giles, Hooper all from Yeovil area in early 1800's

Offline f stop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 March 06 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mike E,
My great grandfather was James Rendell, born in West Coker on June 17 1852.
His father was George Rendell born approx. 1828 in West Coker,and his mother was Laura Rendell, born in approx. 1831 in Hardington,
James went to India in 1871, he joined the 51st Light Infantry
He married in Dinapore , Ida Florence Thompson, and died May 21 1925, at Allahabad.
 If you have any information, I would love to hear from you.
Kind regards
Jay C.

Offline Mike E

• Email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 March 06 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for the above information.

My family are descended from Giles [3] Rendal mentioned by Albert W above - and his info agrees with my findings. 

Bobcat: I have a copy of Rendal part of the West Coker marriages indexes 1755-1812 and 1813-1837.
I can confirm Martha Rendall m. Edward Apsey on 4 Mar 1794;
We also have a James Baker bap. in South Petherton on 31/12/1809 - parents James Baker and Mary (nee Baker too).  We don't know who he married.  Do you have any more details on your James Baker's parents/place of birth?

f stop:  sorry I don't have any information on your Rendells.
Regards
Mike
Entwistle (Bolton and Edgworth)
Cook(e) (Manchester and Warwicks)
Whitaker (Lancs and Cumberland)
McMillen and Palmer (Co Down)
Hyde and Oakley (Staffs)
Lovet, Edwards and Clark (Salop)
Ratcliffe, Walker and Ruffley (Lancs)
Sainsbury (Gloucs, Cornwall and Yorks)
Laundry (Cornwall)
Waterhouse and Haigh (Yorks)
Bird, Rendel / Rendle, Bull, Stoodley, Shoemake / Shoemark, Groves, Baker, Hallett, Burford, Gaylard, Mounter, Highmore (Somerset)
Barber, Brown (Cheshire)
Waterfield (Derby)

Offline Bobkat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 July 06 02:07 BST (UK) »
Mike,
 Sorry for the long delay. I didn't get word of your new post.
 Thanks for the info.
 I have my James Baker baptised 12 Aug 1810 West Coker, son of James Baker and Ann Sandford.
 Bob
Hodder, Symes, Jenner, Baker, Lane, Hambridge, Fox, Marks, Gould, Giles, Hooper all from Yeovil area in early 1800's

Offline Lady emma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 January 09 05:12 GMT (UK) »
I have a Sampson Rendall from Coker, but I don't know who his parents were. A one point he was living with Charlotte Rendall.....ring any bells to anyone?
Karen
powell davies lilliman marshall postings
talbot hodges rendell coombe dickings dickens

Offline Chaltis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: RENDELL / RENDLE / RENDALL of West Coker
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 January 09 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My main interest is in East (not West) Coker but the Rendells moved around a bit. My great-aunt Lily Giles (b. 1883) married Arthur Ralph Rendell in 1902, and I've tried to record the relationship of the Rendells in the area on my tree on my website (see my rootschat profile for url). I was also contacted by the Rendells of Australia and have added their branch of the tree. It might not help but you never know.

Also, I'm in the midst of transcribing all the East Coker parish registers and census records and placing them online (see website again) - there's quite a lot of mention of the Rendells.

Regards, Chaltis
Lockie, Orr, Edgar, Chisholm, Scott, Fairbairn, Kennedy, Blackhall, Dobson, Stuart, Crosbie, Shiels, Mercer, Emond, Dunlop, Burden, Giles