Author Topic: William or is it Wilhelm MacKenzie?  (Read 1971 times)

Offline MichelleT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William or is it Wilhelm MacKenzie?
« on: Wednesday 30 September 09 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm trying to confirm some details regarding ancestors during the 18th Century.  I've been told that my ancestor William Mackenzie born in 1729 was the grandson of the 2nd Earl of Crommarty. It has been suggested that William's father was called John.  However my research would indicate that the Earl didn't have a son named John who lived to be more than 10 years old. 
Other things I believe about William is that he was a lieutenant in the battle of Cullodin in 1746 and was captured and imprisoned in Perth, which he left on the 30th June 1747 (supposedly escaped) and went to Prussia.
This William is believed to be the same Wilhelm MacKenzie who married Eva Marie Wagnerin in Germany in 1753 at the Reformed Church of Alt-Landsberg and he died in 1792.  From here the path to my ancestor Ernst who Migrated to Australia seems to be well documented.
If anyone could help me as to where to search for records or information about Scottish prisoners from the battle of Cullodin I would appreciate it.   Or if anyone has any other ideas about when members of the MacKenzie clan migrated to Germany it would be appreciated. This story seems so fantastical it would be great to get some facts which might confirm it.

Offline Hilldebs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William or is it Wilhelm MacKenzie?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle,
have you tried contacting the center at Culloden Battlefield? They are constantly up dating information and new records are being added all the time.
If you want I could call in there for you, it's not far away.
Good luck there's a lot of MacKenzie's! :o
Also try the MacKenzie websites MacKenzie's of Seaforth, Kintail and Cromarty. Hugh Millers cottage in Cromarty deals with a lot of local history. Dingwall Museum also has a lot of information on the MacKenzie clans.

Offline MichelleT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 22:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tips.  I am located in Australia, but am planning a trip to England in summer of next year, so those places have just made it onto my must see list!  Thanks again

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 October 09 06:11 BST (UK) »
HI

If you go to this website   http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/ and click Advanced searched, once on this page go to the bottom of the page and in the middle text box where it says "With the exact phrase" just type in the words Earl of Cromarty.

Remember to spell Cromarty just the way I have or you wont get the result that I did.  There will only be one result but this result when clicked on to open page will sow you a list of those who were taken prisoner in 1746 at the Battle of Culloden.

Hope you find it with out any trouble.....

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 October 09 06:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry, forget the above as that was the Battle of Falkirk or were they connected?

Wendy

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 October 09 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle,
have you tried contacting the center at Culloden Battlefield? They are constantly up dating information and new records are being added all the time.
If you want I could call in there for you, it's not far away.
Good luck there's a lot of MacKenzie's! :o
Also try the MacKenzie websites MacKenzie's of Seaforth, Kintail and Cromarty. Hugh Millers cottage in Cromarty deals with a lot of local history. Dingwall Museum also has a lot of information on the MacKenzie clans.

Fot the culloden visitors centre :   

www.nts.org.uk/culloden

Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline Hilldebs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 October 09 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
I will do a bit of research for you. Culloden is close by and my hubby is of the MacKenzie clan too. My daughter is studying the Jacobites she can help me. The battle of Falkirk was prior to the battle of Culloden however MacKenzies's did fight at Falkirk.

www.thepeerage.com/p23155.htm

This site give a good history of the family.

Offline Fiona Keirl-MacKenzie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 June 18 06:08 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm trying to confirm some details regarding ancestors during the 18th Century.  I've been told that my ancestor William Mackenzie born in 1729 was the grandson of the 2nd Earl of Crommarty. It has been suggested that William's father was called John.  However my research would indicate that the Earl didn't have a son named John who lived to be more than 10 years old. 
Other things I believe about William is that he was a lieutenant in the battle of Cullodin in 1746 and was captured and imprisoned in Perth, which he left on the 30th June 1747 (supposedly escaped) and went to Prussia.
This William is believed to be the same Wilhelm MacKenzie who married Eva Marie Wagnerin in Germany in 1753 at the Reformed Church of Alt-Landsberg and he died in 1792.  From here the path to my ancestor Ernst who Migrated to Australia seems to be well documented.
If anyone could help me as to where to search for records or information about Scottish prisoners from the battle of Cullodin I would appreciate it.   Or if anyone has any other ideas about when members of the MacKenzie clan migrated to Germany it would be appreciated. This story seems so fantastical it would be great to get some facts which might confirm it.

Hi! This is my 6th great grandfather!!!

Have you had any further luck with your search? I am stuck myself, his mother was Margaret/Margrit Robertson, and father was John MacKenzie, a woodturner. I am suspecting that if the 'grandson of the Earl of Seaforth part is true, than this may be an illegitimate line of descent.

William fought at both the battles of Falkirk and Culloden in the Jacobite Rising of 1745, he was written about in a series of three historical fiction books by Gavin Wood, tightly based on Patrick Lindesay and Lord Kilmarnock's Horse Grenadiers during the '45 Rising. I have also found him in a book called The Unknown God by David Knowles, and his descending genealogy into the Grosser family and mivration to Australia in a book by HR Grosser.

I would love to share any further info you have!!!