Author Topic: Round the world trip c.1907  (Read 2883 times)

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Round the world trip c.1907
« on: Wednesday 30 September 09 13:28 BST (UK) »
I've been lent a scrapbook that was kept by Alfred Edwards (1884-1919) who was a valet at different times to various people, including Lt-Col. Anthony Hickman Morgan, Lord Cecil Manners and Peter Thellusson of Brodsworth.  The scrapbook is full of postcards from a round the world trip, seemingly whilst he was working for Col. Morgan.  The trip (as far as can be reconstructed from the postcards) went England - New York - Washington - Niagara - Montreal - Canadian Rockies - Vancouver - San Francisco (some time after the 1906 earthquake - several postcards of the city in ruins) - Panama (seemingly to look at construction of the canal) - Japan (Okohama, Kyoto, Nagasaki) - Hong Kong - Singapore - Ceylon - India (Delhi) - Aden - Egypt (up and down the Nile to Aswan and back) - Sicily - Gilbraltar and home again.

Does anyone know how long such a trip would have taken?  Also, I know there are various repositories of passenger lists around, but I've never needed to use them before.  Would any / all of such a journey be covered by these lists?  It would be nice to establish exactly when it was.

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks
Richard.
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Round the world trip c.1907
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 14:01 BST (UK) »
First leg of the journey is probably going to be the easiest to find. See www.ellisisland.org for passenger arrivals to New York. There should be 2 pages of the manifest which will give you not just date of arrival in New York but post and date of deparature as well as passenger details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 20:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that link aghadowey.  Looking again at the photo album, the first three postcards are of the South Western Hotel, Southampton, the ship "Prinzess Alice" and the Statue of Liberty.  I now see from the Ellis Island site that the Prinzess Alice did sail from Southampton to New York in June 1907 (taking 11 days) - but no sign of any Morgans or Edwards on it.  There is a Anthony H. Morgan listed as arriving on the 'Teutonic' in March 1907 bound for a yacht in Jamaica (which perhaps fits with a set of photographs at the end of the scrapbook from Trinidad and Jamaica), but no sign of any family or servants with him.

These searches are never straightforward!

Thanks
Richard.
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire

Offline bagnell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 10:16 BST (UK) »
I came upon your question in the forum totally by chance - Col. Hickman was my great-uncle through marriage - the answer to your query is simple - he and my great-aunt made that journey "under their own steam"!  Because my great-aunt inherited, amongst other things, the 500 ton steam yacht "Boadicea" in which they circumnavigated the globe at least twice.  Their story and that of the yacht is very interesting but far too long to put in here.  If you want to know more - I can ring you but am not sure how you can give me your number easily and securely!

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 10:46 BST (UK) »
Bagnell by making two more posts you would gain access to the PM system here on Rootschat by which means you can securely and privately exchange any details you wish with another user.

Offline hexhamlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
Stumbled across this post by accident but of interest to me. My Uncle, James McBride was chauffuer to the Morgans from 1923-38, he looked after their two Daimler cars and went everywhere Mrs. Morgan after her Husband died in 1924. He was a native of Portaferry, Co.Down and came to the Morgans having previously been chauffuer to the 6th Earl Spencer at Althorp, Northampton. He fought in WW1 and was wounded twice which probably aconted for his early death in 1938 aged just 46. He was at the time with Mrs Morgan on the Isle of Whight and was buried there with full military honours. He had three children, two daughters and a son, the daughters are still alive aged 89 and 90, I hope to visit them next week.