Author Topic: John Wymer going where ?  (Read 4903 times)

Offline magicnanny

• RootsChat Senior
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
John Wymer going where ?
« on: Wednesday 30 September 09 16:44 BST (UK) »
Can anybody tell me where to look for a John Wymer Jr , A  convict who sailed to Australia !  and what he did . in 1831 .
I would also  like to know if he came from Norfolk .
 many thanks   magicnanny
Wilkinson.Crowther,Tootell, Manchester ,  McEwan Scotland.  Wymer, Fuller,Hudson,Norfolk  . Cheriton Australia.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Wymer going where ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 17:09 BST (UK) »
There are 2 entries for a John Wymer on the criminal registers - both were in Norfolk but there is no way of knowing if it was the same man

April 1827 - 3 months imprisonment for larceny

Summer 1829 - Not guilty - larceny in a private house
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline magicnanny

• RootsChat Senior
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 17:16 BST (UK) »
The only information i have on him is ,     sent to  Australia march 1831 ...convicted .
would this have been him . And was it just Norfolk or was  there a  name of town or village for him ?
 thankyou .
Wilkinson.Crowther,Tootell, Manchester ,  McEwan Scotland.  Wymer, Fuller,Hudson,Norfolk  . Cheriton Australia.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 17:23 BST (UK) »
The entry is purely a court entry and therefore specific only to the court in which he was convicted.

The info is basic as it does not give ages/birthplaces - just the year and type of offence plus the sentence
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 17:50 BST (UK) »
Go to here:
http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=11
 Search for Wymer.

Then look at the original records.  For example, the Conduct Record contains name of ship, date of arrival, and date and place of conviction.  You will find him on image 118, that says he was convicted in Norfolk 2 Aug 1830. Character "bad", had been in prison three times before, burglary and house-breaking. Single.

On the description book he is listed as a blacksmith, 23, single, the place "Bluefield Norfolk" (Blofield?) is mentioned. There is a description of him, ending with the remark "large ears". :P
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline magicnanny

• RootsChat Senior
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 October 09 11:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the link it was interesting . Is there any way i could now find out anymore about him .so i can maybe link his family to mine . As there is a strong chance that he is on my tree .
Any Ideas ?
 Many thanks

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 October 09 12:44 BST (UK) »
I'd suggest first looking through the convict records more closely in case they mention any more details about his life in Norfolk, then other Tasmanian indexes:
http://www.archives.tas.gov.au/nameindexes
Departure lists show a J. Wymer and Mrs Wymer left for Adelaide in 1846.
and the Colonial Tasmanian Family database shows a marriage of John Wymer and Catherine McDaniel in 1843.

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/8758712?searchTerm=%22Wymer%22
 - the newspaper shipping lists show that they had a child with them.

If you could track his movements in Australia and find his death, his death record may give his parents' names.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline magicnanny

• RootsChat Senior
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 October 09 17:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry to ask this might be a silly question .if you were a convict were your wife and children sent with you ,or allowed to go with you .?     :-[

Offline magicnanny

• RootsChat Senior
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi '  all the above posts are correct he is my man . I' have looked at the Aus archives but i can't seem to find anything else to go on ....not even a death for him     I' know this is a old post but I can't let it go as I would love to find my connection  any help would be great thankyou 
   Magicnanny
(please take a look at myother post john wymer )