Author Topic: Geographry Questions on Kilbarchan Parish  (Read 6995 times)

Offline Fergus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Geographry Questions on Kilbarchan Parish
« on: Sunday 06 March 05 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Geography questions on Kilbarchan Parish;

1.   It is my understanding from viewing various maps of kilbarchan parish that the eastern/southeastern border of the parish was the Black Cart river. 

However, the map of the parish found at www.grian.demon.co.uk/renMap.jpg seems to show the parish jutting into the area of Johnstone and Paisley.

Can anyone comment on this?

2. I can’t find Waulkmiln on any parish map.  On my 1654 map I can find a Wakmil between Houston and Linwood, probably about 6 miles north of Kilbarchan village. Anyone know where Waulkmiln is/was/ (This one is important to me)

Alos, is Walknylne, RFW the same place or another place and is it's another - where is/was it?

3. From the 1695 poll tax –

A.   Can anyone explain what the difference is between Lands of Johnstoune and Over Johnstone and where they are/were?
B.   Where were Major Hamiltounes lands?
C.   Where were the Lands of Ramphorlie, Lands of Craigends, Lands of Fulltounes?

4. Another important one – What’s the difference between Milliken Park and Milliken and Milliken Mains?

Thanks,

Bob F.
 ???
Primary interest is (all) REIDs from Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire from 1600s till 1800s, then Dunbartonshire to CDA.
2ndly - MURDOCHs and STORIE from Kilbarchan parish, Renfrewshire.
Lastly, PATONs from either Renfrewshire or Duntocher, Dunbartonshire approx. 1820 - 1880.

Also trying to build a database of all REIDs in Kilbarchan Parish, RFW from 1500s through present time.

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Geographry Questions on Kilbarchan Parish
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 March 05 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Bob

As I live in the area (though only recently) I will try & pass on your queries to a Habbie (born in Kilbarchan) and try and get some answers for you.

Kilbarchan's postal address is Johnstone so that might explain your first question but it is not next to Paisley (c. 6 miles).  The Black Cart Water is at Kilbarchan's eastern border with Johnstone.

The only Waulkmill area that I happen to know is in Barrhead/Thornliebank Area which is probably c.10 miles away.  However, there might have been more in the past.

I have never heard of Walknylne.

The names that you have given at 3 all sound like farms/estates.  Craigends is now an area within Houston which is actually only abt 3 miles from Kilbarchan and Linwood and Kilbarchan have streets with Fulton in the title but probably more in Linwood (also only c.3 miles from Kilbarchan) and the areas within Linwood that I refer to are close to Craigends.

Milliken Park is between Kilbarchan and Johnstone at the Black Cart Water.  Milliken Mains also sounds like a Farm/Estate.

Rgds

Caroline
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 March 05 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Bob

Forgot to say - my maiden name is actually Reid but from Glasgow/Paisley area.

Rgds

Caroline

Offline Fergus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 March 05 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Caroline,

I've been able to determine that the Lands Ramphurlie are/were over in the north western portion of the parish - under Bridge of Weir (where my John Ramsay came from) and the Lands of Fultoune would likely have been directly northeast of Milliken.

At this point my most urgent questions are;

- understanding the differences between the various locations with Milliken in their name - i.e. Milliken Park, Milliken Mains, etc.

- Understanding if Johnstone or Johnstoune on the east side of the Black Cart was ever a formal part of Kilbachan parish. I believe it was based upon some early history I've read and the map referenced above. You and a history book have said that Milliken seemed to be called Johnstone or Johnstoune until about 1733 or so. But this question really means trying to validate the border as drawn in the above mentioned map.

- and a critical question is - Waulkmiln. Where was/is it? Especially in relation to Milliken.

I anxiously await whatever any of the locals can tell us.  If you'd like, you can contact me Please use PM facility to pass email details - email removed to prevent misuse: moderator

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Ferguson
Primary interest is (all) REIDs from Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire from 1600s till 1800s, then Dunbartonshire to CDA.
Lastly, PATONs from either Renfrewshire or Duntocher, Dunbartonshire approx. 1820 - 1880.

Also trying to build a database of all REIDs in Kilbarchan Parish, RFW from 1500s through present time.

Offline Fergus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 March 05 00:38 GMT (UK) »
I think I've solved the mystery of "Walknylne"....

It's from a couple of entries from the IGI. They spelled it "Walknnylne"  With a double "nn" which could be someone's interpretation of a single "m". Given I can't find this place, no one seems to have heard of it and the ease of mistaking a handwritten m for 2 nn's, I'm going to assume it's my Waulkmiln spelled with a "y" rather than an "i". )Spelling seems to have been more an art than a science in 1700's anyway....

However, I still would like to know what "Waulkmiln of Milliken" in a mid 1800's address means versus other listings with just "Milliken" or "Milliken Park"...........

Anfd I would really like to know about the border of Kilbarchan Parish....i.e. did it ever include an area east of the Blark Cart including present day Johnstone and an small area to the south of Johnstone?

O.K., last one - Where is/was Waterside, Kilbarchan Parish?

Help!

Thanks,

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 March 05 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Bob

Sorry for the delay in replying - I'm afraid I have not been able to speak to anyone yet as my daughter has been in hospital since last Wednesday & I had to look after her baby.

Will get back to you asap

Caroline

Offline Fergus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 March 05 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Caroline,

Hey no big rush. At the risk of making a bad joke on a genealogy focused website - family comes first....

Updated Kilbarchan Parish Geography Questions –

After additional research on my earlier questions, here’s what I’m down to;

1.   Milliken – I have listings of  people being born in Milliken Grounds (c.1901), Mains of Milliken (c.1891) and Milliken Mill (c.1870 – 1886) as well as Milliken Park.

I know where Milliken Park is – basically on the western bank of the Black Cart , but east of Kilbarchan (town).  What does “park” in the name mean compared to the other forms of the Milliken place names?

Mains of Milliken, Linwood – would this be the area directly north of the main estate or home bearing the name Milliken (i.e. the home of Sir. James Napier) ?  And what does “mains” usually mean/refer to in Scottish place names?

Milliken Mill – where would Milliken Mill have been located in relation to the other Milliken place names?  I would think it would have been very close to Milliken Park as one would think a mill would have needed a water supply for power….

Milliken Grounds – Again, where was Milliken Grounds located in relative to all these Milliken place names?

2.   Waterside – Several of my Reids were also listed as being from Waterside. I found a Waterside that appeared to be within a 1/4 mile north of Milliken Park and I found another Waterside about ½ mile south of Milliken Park. I’m thinking that “Waterside” may actually have been more a thing than a “place”. Can anyone clear this up?  (I can understand two places having the same name when they’re located in different parishes or counties, but these two were within the same parish and within a mile or so of each other…..

3.    Waulkmiln of Milliken. - I believe “waulkmiln” is/was actually a term meaning a place for the washing of raw cotton/wool prior to spinning. I have searched maps from the early 1800s as well as the 1700s and 1600s and cannot find any “Waulkmiln”. There was an area (not a community) called Wak Mil located north and slightly west of the town of Kilbarchan in a mid 1600s map. But the records referring to them being born in Waulkmiln are from the mid 1700s and seem to duplicate the Milliken entries, so I’m thinking it has to be Milliken Park.

4.   Hopefully – the last one….Meiklefulltown or Meikle Fulltoun. I assume this placename (c.1681) would have something to do with the Lands of Fulton roughly north of Kilbarchan…. Does Meikle have some special meaning?

I would really appreciate any information that anyone can provide to clear up these questions.

Thanks,

bob Ferguson

Offline LisaReidWest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 July 17 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hello! I just found this site and this topic! Any updates for what Waulkmiln of Milliken is? My maiden name is Reid, and I have ancestors named John Reid born 1742 listed in Waulkmiln of Milliken, Kilbarchan and James Reid born in 1772 in the same. Wonder at our relation too perhaps.

Thanks!
Lisa

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 July 17 07:47 BST (UK) »
Wauking was a process in the fulling of woolen cloth, long pre-dating cotton, this waulkmill was probably a converted meal mill. The process often polluted the burn so not always popular.  Ranfurly is one of the places mentioned.

Skoosh.