Author Topic: BRODIGANS DROGHEDA  (Read 17802 times)

Offline bernadine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
BRODIGANS DROGHEDA
« on: Thursday 01 October 09 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone I am still looking for the Brodigan family,I sent for a birth cert my g/gmother had given birth in Drogheda North St in1874 to a son her name was Mary Turner nee BRODIGAN at the birth was a lady named JUDITH BRODIGAN when I looked her up she was born1793 and she died 1893 aged 90,she died in Termoufeckin? hope I spelt that right,on the death cert it states her son Thomas reported it.I would love to know what connection they had to my g/gmother Mary.My g/gmother had a son also named Thomas and that was not a Turner name do you think the Thomas who reported Judiths death could of been Marys father? Any help would be most appreciated  thank you Bernadine
Mulcahy Antrim Turner Wales Foster Liverpool Nisbet Scotland Brodigan Drogheda Thomas Wales

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BRODIGANS DROGHEDA
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 October 09 10:13 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of Catholic marriages began 1864 and other marriages from 1845 so if you can get a marriage certificate for Mary Brodigan and _ Turner it should list her father's name and occupation. If the marriage didn't come under civil registration you should search for a church record of the marriage although I'm not sure what sort of details will be found. Church records might also locate more details on other family members.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bernadine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 October 09 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply unfortunately I have not located a marriage for my g/gmother Mary Turner nee Brodigan she married a Welshman Llewellyn Turner where about I do not know and I have tried everywhere,they had their first son Thomas in Bradford 1873 and I have his B/Cert and it states Mary Turner formally Brodigan  I hope they did get married but I Carnot find it anywhere,is there a place named Termoufeckin is it a large place? maybe I would get some info if I wrote to somebody there on the death cert it states Judith was a shopkeepers wife that may help get some info  thanks Bernadine
Mulcahy Antrim Turner Wales Foster Liverpool Nisbet Scotland Brodigan Drogheda Thomas Wales

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 October 09 11:27 BST (UK) »
Since this was posted on Co. Louth board I thought the marriage took place in Ireland. If it was a Catholic marriage in Ireland and took place before 1864 there will be no marriage certificate.

See http://www.thecore.com/seanruad to find townlands in Ireland. Termonfeckin is a town and parish in Co.Louth.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bernadine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 October 09 14:29 BST (UK) »
really interesting I didnt know that but Im sure my g/gmother Mary would not have been married then she was born1849 where she met her welshman goodness knows as I say first child born in Bradford second Drogheda then the rest in Wrexham Wales then he ran off very sad for her,I really would love to find her Irish family ,I know 60yrs ago I went over with my mother to visit them so they must have  all kept in touch,This is the main reason why people should ask about Family while they still have family to enquire,wish I had!!  thanks again Bernadine

Offline historical

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 January 10 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi ya

I come from Termonfeckin, it get its name from Saint Fechan because he built a monastry here in the 7th centrury.

It is a country village about 7 miles from Drogheda Co Louth.

Not sure what you would like to know about the village, the new catholic church was built in 1883 it is known as the Church of the Immaculate Conception.

Most of the residents are buried at St Fechins Graveyard, where the protestant church stands, unless you have family buried here and available space in that plot there are no longer new burials on this site.

There was another catholic church in the village before this, the village was predominetly catholic run by landlords Brabzon and Markey.  Let me know what you want to know about the village and I will see if I can help you.

Regards
Historical :)

Offline bernadine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 09:46 GMT (UK) »
thank you for your reply it.s good to know there are people  out there helping.I have been so long trying to unravell the BRODIGANS it was JUDITH BRODIGAN who caught my attention she was present when Mary Turner gave birth to her second son in Drogheda,I thought JUDITH was an unusual choice of name for Ireland at that time when I sent for Judiths dreath cert it stated she died in Termonfeckin I wanted to know if she is buried there it stated her son found her dead aged 90yr so he must of resided there too I think he was a Thomas BRODIGAN so I suppose I am after anyBRODIGANS   it also stated Judith was the widow of a shopkeeper Mary called her son Thomas after him I think  thank you Bernadine x

Offline historical

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bernadine

I should be out there this weekend I will, see what I can muster up for you and will get back to you next week :)

Historical

Offline historical

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bernadine,

I have some records of the gravestones in Termonfeckin for you I'm not sure if they will be of use. 

Brodigan IHS Erected A.D 1840 by John Brodigan of Baltray to the memory of his father and mother & posterity (grave No 167)

Brodigan Erected by Mr Anthony Brodigan of Termonfeckin in memory of his wife Mary who died 14th December 1851 in the 28th year of her age and his daughter Cathrine who died on 6 December 1863 aged 18 years.  Also his son Peter John who died July 2nd 1864 aged 65 years requisent in pace, Cecilia Carron died 26 Dec 1940 (grave No 407)

Brodigan IHS Erected by Mary Brodigan of Termonfeckin in memory of her beloved husband John Brodigan who died Feb 19th 1881 aged 53 years and their children who died young Michael and Christopher.  Jack Carton died Sep 1967 aged 63yrs. His wife Nancey died 29th June 1987 aged 80 years.  May they rest in peace ( grave no 168)

Brodigan In Loving Memory of Thomas Brodigan Port who died 21st Feb. 1969 and his brother John died 29th Jan 1958 R.I.P (grave No 166)

There is also records of Brodigans being shop owners in the town of Drogheda just 5 miles away, and members of the Drogheda Corporation.  They lived on West Street Drogheda, I also believe they might have been Brewers during the mid 19thC.

I'm not sure if this is any help to you, if I come across anything else I will let you know,

Kind regards
Historical

P.S Baltray is a sleepy little hamlet by the sea just about a mile from Termonfeckin, people from baltray would be buried in Termonfeckin, I suggest you try with the parish records for St Peters Catholic church Drogheda and the Diocese of Armagh which will include all records in Termonfeckin..... Good Luck