Author Topic: Belcher ancestry  (Read 14236 times)

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Belcher ancestry
« on: Saturday 03 October 09 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi all Belchers,

Help - can someone please give me  assistance or advice  with my  Belcher ancestry.

1/.    I  have some concerns regarding which William Belcher to follow for marriages.

Originally I had Will Belcher marrying Mary Woodley on 10-11-1711 Hanney.

Then I found William Belcher (Wantage) marrying  Mary George of EH on 20-2-1714

Hanney  -  which I thought was the     one to follow.  I now feel that perhaps  the first

line was  the correct one - what do others say?.

2/.    Using the info taken from fiche records from the OFHS.  I have in my tree;

William Belcher*       (Bapt. 19-9-1686)                      son of Jonathon  East Hanney

William Belcher        (Bapt.4-1-1686/7)                       son of Jonathon  EH

There is also a William Belcher bapt 8-7-1690              son of Jonathon EH

from the burials  (* I assume this is the one) Will Belcher son of Jonathon was buried

2-11-1686 EH

Originally I followed William Belcher's line from the 1686/7 one,  but now I'm not so

sure this correct. They both married either  Mary Woodley or Mary George (as above)

3/.    Jonathon Belcher married Ann Dew - North Hinksey 3-8-1676

Where did Jonathon come from? There is no Jonathon listed in the Hanney registers

(apart from his son in  1684)  and I can't seem to find him anywhere else.

If there are other Belcher historians  viewing this then I would appreciate their views

however small.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Belcher ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 October 09 10:33 BST (UK) »
1/.    I  have some concerns regarding which William Belcher to follow for marriages.

Originally I had Will Belcher marrying Mary Woodley on 10-11-1711 Hanney.

Then I found William Belcher (Wantage) marrying  Mary George of EH on 20-2-1714

Hanney  -  which I thought was the     one to follow.  I now feel that perhaps  the first

line was  the correct one - what do others say?.

I am no Belcher historian, but I would have thought that, in order to answer your question, it would be necessary to know which child of William and Mary Belcher you are descended from.

Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 October 09 11:02 BST (UK) »
My mother was a Belcher and to show how it all fits together I'll list the ancestry;

Jonathon Belcher (bapt ????) - Ann Dew
                ↓
William Belcher (bapt 1686) - Mary either Woodley or George
             ↓
  William Belcher (bapt 1714) - Elizabeth King
              ↓
    James Belcher (bapt 1757) - Rachel Matthews
               ↓
     William Belcher (bapt 1786) - Mary Ann Giles
                 ↓
       John Belcher (bapt 1829) - Jemima Elderfield
                 ↓
        Frederick Belcher (bapt 1851) - Emma Froude
                       ↓
         Charles Belcher (bapt 1889) - Sarh May Saunders
                      ↓
           my mother Norah

It is the first of the William Belchers  i'm trying to unravel and I've listed it this way as there too many William Belchers and hope it can be more readily understood.

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Orpheus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Quartermain arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Alan

Unfortunately I can't help with the birth/baptism of Jonathan BELCHER but I think I can clarify the marriage of William BELCHER and Mary:

A William BELCHER married Mary WOODLEY at West Hanney on 10 November 1711 and they baptised the following children in the same parish (West Hanney):

19 Oct 1712   Elizabeth
26 Dec 1714  William
23 Dec 1716  Thomas
10 May 1719  Mary
19 Nov 1721  Ann

Another William BELCHER (of Wantage) married Mary GEORGE at West Hanney on 20 Feb 1714/5 and they baptised the following children at Wantage:

1 Jan 1715/6     Richard
9 Mar 1717/8    William
14 Feb 1719/20  Mary

William of Wantage might be the son of Richard BELCHER and Edith (formerly WILKINS) who was baptised at Wantage on 2 Mar 1655/6. 

As you have already surmised, William of West Hanney (who married Mary WOODLEY) is probably the son of Jonathan BELCHER and Ann DEW - and I would say he is the one baptised in 1690 even though there appears to be no burial for the one baptised in 1686/7.  The reason I believe he is the son of Jonathan is that in his will proved 3 May 1729 he names his two brothers, Richard BELCHER and Henry BELCHER, as trustees.  These are two of the sons of Jonathan and Ann baptised in 1691 and 1699 respectively.  In his will William is described as a wheelwright and leaves his property to his children - William, Thomas, Mary and Ann - after the decease of his wife Mary.  The value of his property was assessed at £5.18s.2d.

As far as Jonathan is concerned, as I have already stated, I can't really help with him.  The only thing I can say is that there appears to be a gap in the West Hanney parish registers between 1653 and 1666 into which he might fit.

Orpheus
Quartermain and variants - Oxfordshire
Wiggins - Oxfordshire
Lowe - Charney Bassett, Berkshire
Bettle - Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire
Marshall - Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire
Goodman - Buckinghamshire

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Orpheus,
I am very grateful to you for your detailed reply. You have more or
less confirmed the way I was thinking that it was William Belcher &
Mary Woodley who I should follow up.   In fact it was this couple
I first recorded as my ancestors but decided to go with the other Mary George when looking for other family members.
I do have a set of fiche records for Hanney and there are many gaps
both in the baptisms and marriages also a few pages with parts missing so its quite conceivable that Jonathon Belcher's birth/baptism falls within these gaps.
You mentioned  William's will - do you have a copy or how did you get the value of his property?

I appreciate your information. Thank you very much.

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Orpheus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Quartermain arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Alan

Yes, I do have a copy of the will and inventory of Will BELCHER, wheelwright of West Hanney.  Although I can't send you a copy I can type out the will and send it to you in a PM if you wish.  If you want a copy of the original you will need to apply to the Berkshire Record Office where I believe it is held.  Sorry, but I don't have the reference number.  I do, however, have the reference number of the will and inventory of Jonathan BELCHER of East Hanney, yeoman, proved 1730, which you might like to request at the same time.  The reference is D/A1/49/134

Orpheus
Quartermain and variants - Oxfordshire
Wiggins - Oxfordshire
Lowe - Charney Bassett, Berkshire
Bettle - Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire
Marshall - Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire
Goodman - Buckinghamshire

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 23:53 BST (UK) »
Orpheus,

I have sent you a PM

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Allen I am worried about a couple of things can you help please?
Where did William marry Elizabeth King the marriage does not show up in the extrated Family search file forWest Hanney

Why don't you think  William was;
William bapt 28 Jan 1730 son of Henry Belcher ?

Some one has contacted asking about Esther FROUD (1834) do you know if she was baptised in West Hanney about 1834 as either FROUD or BELCHER and was James BELCHER her father? He and Caroline FROUD married 4 June 1835

Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Trees,

William Belcher married  (his 2nd wife)  Elizabeth King on 24-4-1753 in Hanney. I know there is a "submitted" entry on

the IGI but I have also the fiche records for this parish and the details are correct.

In tracing my tree back I got to James Belcher (b.1757)  who was the son of William Belcher & Elizabeth. It turned out to

be William & Elizabeth mentioned above, all born West Hanney.

James Belcher (B.1757) married  (his 2nd wife) Elizabeth Angel on 159-1792 and of their 10 children

there was another James Belcher (b.1808) who married Caroline Froud (b.1808 East Challow) in June 1835 Hanney as

you have listed.

My fiche records only go up to 1812 for baptisms, marriages and burials to 1783 so I am unable to look up anything about

Esther Froud/Belcher

I hope helps to clarify some info for you.

regards

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk