Author Topic: John Charter baptism  (Read 9504 times)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Charter baptism
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 February 10 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Tempsford - Is the John Charter bapt 17 May 1739 son of Thomas and Mary at Steeple Morden out of the question?

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tempsford

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 February 10 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Selina,
Well that was the John Charter I had gone with until I found John's will in which he mentions a sister Sarah, unfortunately the couple in SM as far as I can tell didn't have a daughter called Sarah and John in his will mentions property in Colne which seems to rule out the SM couple.

Tempsford. :)

Offline janbal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 February 10 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
Once again thanks. It is years since I looked them upon CFH. Good to know that I wasn't imagining Bluntisham

Jan

Offline mcharter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 February 11 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Did you ever receive a reply to this request? I have researched back to Nicholas Charter from 1599 in SM...then Richard Charter 1607 and Danile from 1618.

I have two Thomas's, again from SM, one in 1679 and another in 1728 

Offline Charters123

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, my name is Daniel Charter, and I live and work in colne and am probably from a branch of your family tree. I have a comprehensive network of charters to 1675 but it appears you have travelled further, ironically and spookily, with my father's name, nicholas and grandfathers Richard. Would love to see the information you have please and would gladly help with information you need.

Kind regards
Dan

Offline Mountlofty

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Daniel,
I am trying to find the link between the Charters born in Steeple Morden in Cambridgeshire and the Charters in Colne. I am descended from the John Charter born 1739 in SM, the son of Thomas Charter. As mentioned in an earlier post, this John refers to an estate in Colne in the possession of his sister Sarah. I think this may be his sister-in-law, as his older brother William Charter (b 1733 SM, d 1821 Colne) was a farmer in Colne with a wife Sarah. In his will, this William refers to his Relation William Charter who may well be the William who also farmed in Colne and Sutton and who died in 1821. In your comprehensive network of Charters, I wonder if you have any clues to the connection between the Thomas Charter living in SM in the early 1700s  and the Colne Charters? There is no evidence that Thomas was born in SM and it seems more likely that he was from Huntingdonshire.
Thanks for your help,
Best wishes,

Jeremy