Author Topic: Help please have 1915 marriage cert, birth cert and cannot find bride & father  (Read 10053 times)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please have 1915 marriage cert and still cannot find them
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 October 09 17:21 BST (UK) »
21 on a marriage certificate may mean 'over 21' rather than being an exact age.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 October 09 17:23 BST (UK) »
If Susan Stokes( whoever she is  :P) really was 19 at marriage maybe Henry moved his age down a little so as not to look TOOooo old for her?

Or has someone misread 26 for 21?

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treelover

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • --
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 October 09 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi again Galium

This certificate is from 1915, I reckon 21 means 21 (presuming he wasn't lying)

I do apologise, but I have to go now.  Please, if anyone finds anything however small, I would really appreciate it.

Hopefulyl back online tomorrow

Joan  :)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 October 09 17:49 BST (UK) »
Those trees on Ancestry give a death date for Henry of 30 April 1951.

June Q 1951 in the death index list

FEAST Harry T    age 60   Stockport   10a 482
FEAST Henry T   age 60   Stockport   10a 482

FEAST Harry Thomas birth is registered Jun Q 1891 Fareham district

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 October 09 18:57 BST (UK) »
There are four Feast births registered in Swansea district with mother's maiden name Stokes.  Three Feast marriages with names matching three of the Swansea births were registered in Stockport district.

Offline Treelover

• --
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 October 09 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

I know I have the correct parents, Henry Feast and Susan Mary Stokes.  I'm sorry, I cannot see how the other siblings births will help with my dilemma.

I have looked again at those trees on An***try they both show his name as Henry Feast AKA Harry Thomas Feast. So it looks like he is the correct one.  My puzzle is now finding Susan Mary Stokes with her father Edward Stephen Stokes occupation Ganager.  My husband has said  a ganger is a railway term for someone in charge of a railway "gang".  I would expect Edward to possibly have been on a census as a railway labourer 1891/1901?   

The witnesses as mentioned are a Stephen Stokes (brother??) and Emma Stokes - possible wife of Stephen.  But as yet I cannot find s Stephen Stokes marrying an Emma.  I really cannot get anywhere?

Joan

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 October 09 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

the point I was making is that the age at death of Harry Feast indicates a birth date of c1891.

He died in Stockport district, which is the same district as where three children of Harry Feast and Susan née Stokes were married. 

It is, of course quite possible that the two people who have Henry/Harry Feast in their tree on Ancestry have the wrong man, and that the one who married Susan Stokes didn't die in Stockport district, in 1951.  But, seeing as the children are marrying in the same district, it looks likely that he is the same one?

Which means that he is probably the Harry Thomas Feast whose birth was registered in Fareham in 1891, and who is Harry Feast in Newport in 1911.

Btw Susan M Feast aged 63 died in Stockport district in Jun Q 1961.

Offline Treelover

• --
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 October 09 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry, its been a long, long day for me - apologies.

Yes, I can now see where you are coming from  :)  Coincidental if it's not the one that died in Stockport, as his children were all born in Stockport.

Thank you for finding Susan's birth!  I feel she is the one born in Rugby.  But the marriage was on 2nd August 1915, which if it is the correct one means she was not 19 when she married ??  Oh dear  ???

Joan

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hello again.  Susan Stokes has been niggling at me rather.  I couldn't find anything definite, and the one born in Rugby district isn't obvious anywhere in 1901 or 1911.  I wonder whether the family were out of the country for a while?

As she says her father is Edward Stephen Stokes, it is interesting that the birth of a child named Edward Stephen Stokes was registered in 1895 in Barrow upon Soar district, and the death of a 1 year old Edward Stephen Stokes in Rugby district the following year.

The witness named Emma Stokes could perhaps be a sister of Susan's.  There is a marriage of Emma Stokes and William J Hill in Swansea district in 1920.

There is an Edward S Hill born 1931 in the GRO index with MMn Stokes.  Two public trees on Ancestry have this person (now deceased) as the child of William J Hill and Emma Stokes, and his middle name is Stephen.  Unfortunately neither of them name Emma Stokes' parents. They both say that Emma Stokes was born in 1901 in Lancashire, but there is no obvious candidate.

Couldn't find anything more definite, but that birth in Rugby does look promising - and it might be worth contacting the two people who have Emma Stokes in their tree.