Author Topic: Kendal Record Office lookup  (Read 1543 times)

Offline ASA1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kendal Record Office lookup
« on: Sunday 04 October 09 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am currently researching the men of Carshalton in Surrey who died during WW1 and have come across a chap named Robert Leonard Powys ADAMS who died in 1919 during the Third Afghan War, having served for the entire war in France without incident.

A quick search on access to archives has revealed a solicitor's box at the Cumbria Record Office in Kendal containing letters from a Robert Leonard Powys Adams of the same address in Carshalton. Only discrepancy is that the record has a date of 3rd July 1939, when obviously he had been deceased for 20 years. I am reluctant to pay the archive's admin, photocopying, postage charges etc if it is the wrong man, however the fact that it is exactly the same name and address leaves too many questions unanswered!

If anyone is going to the archive, would you possibly be able to have a quick look at the contents of the box and let me know if I am barking up the wrong tree....?

The reference is WD AF/Box 156/2 1939.

Many thanks,
ASA1

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kendal Record Office lookup
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 November 09 22:54 GMT (UK) »
The Archive themselves will probably give you some idea of the contents of the box if you e-mail them and explain you dilemma. They do look-ups free if they don't take too long to accomplish.

Janeada
Counties/Names: Wigtownshire, SCT./HANNAH Cumberland/CLARKE, Westmorland/FISHER, North Lancashire/CLARKE & CHARNOCK Lincolnshire/ STORER, DICKINSON, EDLIN, FAIRCHILD & GREEN, Nottinghamshire/ COOK, COLLINGWORTH,  Gloucestershire/DOWSWELL, Isle of Man/CLARKE