Author Topic: MULLINS family of Kilbehenny  (Read 13439 times)

Offline coffindodger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
MULLINS family of Kilbehenny
« on: Tuesday 06 October 09 18:05 BST (UK) »
Has anybody come across a family called Mullins from Kilbehenny in their research ??

Tony
Hampshire - Street, Witt
Shropshire -Dodd, Cherrington, Hide, Freeman
Staffordshire - Glover, Hawley Ware, Hackney, Longshaw, Matthews, Rowley, Lockett, Fletcher, Taylor, Myott
Dorset - White, Oxford

Offline LimerickLad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MULLINS family of Kilbehenny
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 15:08 BST (UK) »
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/

Have you tried the 1911 census at the above?  There are Mullins there.

Offline coffindodger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Limerick Lad

Thanks for the reply - yes - have been to the 1911 census. The particular person I am interested there is Patrick Mullins, his wife Mary (Sherlock) and at that time   the only remaining child with them, their youngest daughter Bridget. Bridget is my father-in-laws mother. They were resident in Ballinwillin, Mitchelstown, Cork.

It says that he was born in County Limerick, and we have a fair idea that it was Kilbehenny. There are just so many clues that there must be some connection. When Mary died c. 1933 my father-in-law went to her funeral in Kilbehenny. He remembers it well because it was his first ride in a motor car. It appears that Patrick was born around 1861 and I have found an index reference to someone called Patrick Mullins being baptised in Kilbehenny in 1861.

I suppose I've tried to short circuit paying out for a certificate, but it hasn't worked.

I am in fact in England (all my life) and we have just returned from a short trip with my father-in-law to Ireland. We flew to Shannon, stopped a night in Kilrush, one in Kenmare and then onto Mitchelstown where we stayed for 3 nights. We met a girl from Australia there who is a rellie, but the visit did not get us any closer to where this branch of the Mullins came from, however we did meet rellies that my father-in-law had never met before. Last evening we spoke to another relative in Tralee.

I even e mailed the priest at Kilbehenny, but he has not replied.

I suppose sometime I  might even take another trip over and try and trace the records.

I know the County Cork archives are at Mallow. Can you tell me where the ones for Limerick are ??

Many thanks

Tony (Staffordshire England)
Hampshire - Street, Witt
Staffordshire - Glover, Hawley Ware, Hackney, Longshaw, Matthews, Rowley, Lockett, Fletcher, Taylor, Myott
Dorset - White, Oxford

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Do you know if Patrick Mullins was married twice?

I have a Patrick Mullins living at Johnson's Row, Dickson Place Limerick (son of William Mullins) who married Elizabeth (Lizzie) Warren at St Michael's Church Limerick in 1899.  She apparently died in childbirth and was buried in Co Clare, where she'd grown up.  I'm pretty certain this couple had an earlier child or two and I would love to know what became of them.

Cheers

Offline coffindodger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi LH

We don't know much at all about Patrick, but we have many reasons to believe he came from Kilbehenny. There is a baptism there in 1861 (found that in an index). Tried to short circuit getting  an official record, but it hasn't proved succesful. This family finally settled in Mitchelstown Cork so that is another reason for believing he came from closeby Kilbehenny. He  and his wife Mary and child Bridget are in the 1911 census living in Ballinwillin, Mitchelstown.

Best wishes

Tony (England)
Hampshire - Street, Witt
Dorset - White, Oxford

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 October 09 10:00 BST (UK) »
Can you find out the name of Patrick's father?  William was the father of the Patrick I am referring to.

Also the Patrick I refer to married in 1899, so was probably born sometime around the 1860-70s also
and his place of birth was Limerick.

Offline coffindodger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 October 09 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi LH

I am sure this is not the same Patrick Mullins. I do have a copy of the 1901 census for Mitchelstown, Thomas Street, and Patrick is living there with his wife Mary (Sherlock - we know this because of one of the childrens birth certificates). Also living there are 7 children, including my father-in-laws mother Bridget. All the other 6 children had left the home by 1911 except Bridget. I reckon Patrick and Mary were married about 1883 - oldest child Ellen born 1884-1885.

Thanks again.

I think the easiest thing to do is find the Patrick Mullins/Mary Sherlock marriage.

Tony
Hampshire - Street, Witt
Dorset - White, Oxford

Offline pastpresent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 October 09 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Coffin Dodger,
I have info for Mullins in the Kilbehenny area. I don't know if it will help, but this is my family.
my G-Grandmother was Ellen Mullins baptised 6/27/1862 in Kilbehenny.
Her parents -Patrick and Johanna (Maloney) Mullins
God-parents were John Mullins and Honora King

Other children of Patrick and Johanna were: Bridget, Kate, Hannah, Nora, Michael, Patrick, William...And there were 2 more sons-I don't know their names. They stayed in Ireland.
 Patrick and William left for Australia.
All the rest went to the U.S.

Offline coffindodger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi pastpreent

Sorry for the delay in replying, but have been waiting for a copy marriage certificate from Ireland which hasn't arrived yet.

My gut instinct is that our Patrick Mullins born 1861 is from your ancestry as well. I am pretty sure his parents were Patrick Mullins and Johanna Moloney.

Patrick Mullins went on to marry Mary Sherlock and that's the certificate I am waiting for and hoping his fathers name is shown as Patrick.

Where abouts in Kilbehenny area did the Mullins come from and have you heard of Mary Sherlock before ???

Regards

Tony
Hampshire - Street, Witt
Dorset - White, Oxford