Author Topic: John William BARTHOLOMEW  (Read 9160 times)

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John William BARTHOLOMEW
« on: Tuesday 06 October 09 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all

John William Bartholomew was b 30/04/1878 in Brentford, Middlesex, England , he married Florence Belmore/Bulmore on Christmas day 1899, they had a son named William born 1900 died 1901. John was in the RN and on 31/03/1904 he was serving on HMS Royal Arthur stationed in Sydney, where he bought himself out of the navy.

Florence was living 'as a wife' with John's brother Ernest in the 1911 census, there were 6 children in 1911. In 1917 Florence marries Stuart West and Ernest marries Hilda Rose Greenburg.

As a family we had at first thought that Florence was the 'baddy', but it looks like John skipped on her for whatever reason.

We are now trying to find out what happened to John after 1904, can anyone suggest a starting place to look?

I have searched Ancestry and there are several John Bartholomews working as ships crew and/or travelling about  btu no real detail to be able to be sure that one of them is him. He was a Petty Officer second class when he left the navy, there is no mention of any trade.

I look forward to hearing from someone who can give me a tip as to where to go nwext.
Fenn from Denham Bucks and Honeywell from Downton Wilts

Offline troods

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my greatgrandma Dorcas Charlotte Hall
    • View Profile
Re: John William Bartholomew
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 22:22 BST (UK) »
On the NSW bdm's I notice a couple of death entries for a John William B

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search?event=births

Hope this helps
Troods
Williams- Devon to Vic Oz;
Holmes - Donnegal to Vic Oz; Hall Westmoreland/Kent to Vic Oz;
Shipwash - Kent;
Edwards - Lambeth;
Nolan - Ireland;
Grady - Kerry to WA Oz;
Matson - Nova Scotia to SA Oz

Offline troods

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my greatgrandma Dorcas Charlotte Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 22:29 BST (UK) »
Also there seems to be a file on a John William B on the National Archives site here

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ResearcherScreen.asp

type in John B - I think its on the 3rd page. Unfortuantley it states unknown details on birth, enlistment etc. However it gives a service number - 207194. You can request the file. It relates to the period 1939 -1948.

Troods
Williams- Devon to Vic Oz;
Holmes - Donnegal to Vic Oz; Hall Westmoreland/Kent to Vic Oz;
Shipwash - Kent;
Edwards - Lambeth;
Nolan - Ireland;
Grady - Kerry to WA Oz;
Matson - Nova Scotia to SA Oz

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for that - a couple of possibles I suppose the only way to check is to get the certs?

Nicwnacw

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John William BARTHOLOMEW
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Troods

Thanks again I had a look at the record - as far as I could  - went to the purchase screen and there was a 'more' button - this chap was in the RAAF, possible but as mine is ex RN I think it more likely that he would be in the RAN or Merchant Marine. I could be wrong.

I did a general search and found a court case bewtween J W Batholomew and Sons vs The govt and the record are closed - that's intriguing.

If you go to the archive can you see the records? I have a couple of cousins in Oz, perhaps they can do a visit for me. If I win the lottery I'll come and do it myself!  ::)

Nicwnacw

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
Did Florence come to Australia with John?

Leanne

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not as far as we know, she is in UK in 1901 and 1911 census, in 1911 census there are 6 children born from 1903 onwards all in the UK so very unlikely.

It is a possibility that John came back and fathered the children and that her brother in law and her do not have a relationship, but they are shown as man and wife in the 1911 - the first census that was completed by the householder and not the enumerator.

Nicwnacw

Offline Roz Elbourn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 March 15 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

John William Bartholomew was b 30/04/1878 in Brentford, Middlesex, England , he married Florence Belmore/Bulmore on Christmas day 1899, they had a son named William born 1900 died 1901. John was in the RN and on 31/03/1904 he was serving on HMS Royal Arthur stationed in Sydney, where he bought himself out of the navy.

Florence was living 'as a wife' with John's brother Ernest in the 1911 census, there were 6 children in 1911. In 1917 Florence marries Stuart West and Ernest marries Hilda Rose Greenburg.

As a family we had at first thought that Florence was the 'baddy', but it looks like John skipped on her for whatever reason.

We are now trying to find out what happened to John after 1904, can anyone suggest a starting place to look?

I have searched Ancestry and there are several John Bartholomews working as ships crew and/or travelling about  btu no real detail to be able to be sure that one of them is him. He was a Petty Officer second class when he left the navy, there is no mention of any trade.

I look forward to hearing from someone who can give me a tip as to where to go nwext.

Offline Roz Elbourn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 March 15 00:32 GMT (UK) »
  John William BARTHOLOMEW married  CAROLINE Agnes FLANAGAN    i am a friend  of  his granddaughter and doing a family tree for her ...they didn't marry until 1933 in Sydney ..they had a son John William BARTHOLOMEW born 1909  :)