Author Topic: 1812 Baptism Belfast  (Read 22487 times)

Offline Kanga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1812 Baptism Belfast
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 13:23 BST (UK) »

Re St Anne's baptisms

As far as I understand, Ulster Historical Foundation database has St Anne's baptisms from about 1740's to the late 1890's.   If you want to confirm this send UHF an email. 

Offline Kanga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 23:58 BST (UK) »
I am trying to understand why you think Isaac Rogers you found in Seymour Lane on the Griffith Valuations (printing date 1860), was part owner in the Victoria Weaving Co.

There is also a Catherine Rogers listed at no I Seymour Lane in the brackets with Isaac Rogers.

See website below.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

The 1861 directory shows his name as Isaac Rodgers (and not Rogers), labourer, 1 Seymour Lane (as pervious mentioned).

1901 there is a Thompson, Rogers & Co Ltd, Victoria Weaving Factory, and Victoria Finsihing Company, in Severn St, Belfast.

1907 Still in Severn Street

1913 Victoria Weaving Finishing Co Ltd (Factory)- Severin St
1913 Victoria Weaving Finishing Co Ltd (Finishing) - Severin St

Is there an address on the Death Certificate for Rose Ann Daly in 1865 that may be of help and did she die during  childbirth?

1862 Baptism for William Rodgers: Was there an address listed on the baptism record from UHF or the name of witnesses that may help you with your research.

The Will list on PRONI goes up to the early 1900's and as you know there is no listing for Isaac Rodgers or Rogers.

Offline lucybella

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 09:36 BST (UK) »
I am mistaken on the Victoria Weaving and Finishing Co.   In the Lennon Wylie Street index, Severn St is above Seymour Lane, and months ago when I was researching Isaac, I got the mistaken idea that they were adjoining streets!   Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Rose Ann Daly Rodgers died 1865 at 1 Seymour Lane, cause of death Dropsy for 12 months?? Aged 44.  So she was born in 1821, therefore was 9 years older than her husband.  Present at her death was Rose Ann Savage, difficult to read the address but looks like 25 Raphall Street, or Rachell Street. 
40 years later, there is another Rose Ann Savage on most of William's children Baptismal certs, as sponsor, and she is his niece.  Perhaps the one in 1865 was a friend, and then William's sister married a Savage, and they had a child called Rose Ann??  I cannot make out the connection other than that.

There is no address on William's baptismal certificate, I presume it was Seymour Lane. He was baptised in St Malachy's.  Sponsor Mary McGullen (McGrillen I think, as Jane McGrillen on Isaac and Rose Ann's marriage cert)
I wonder if there is any hope of finding Rose Ann Daly's baptismal record, perhaps it is in St Patricks RC Church, where she was married.  Hopefully the Church was completed by 1821.

For St Annes Baptisms, akanex2 mentioned they are in a book form in Libraries - would that just mean in Northern Ireland Libraries, do you think?

I do not know who the Catherine is with Isaac in the Griffiths Valuation (1860) as he was married to Rose Ann.  It was either his mother or maybe a sister.
I never thought I would get this far back, and the help on this wonderful site is amazing.
Thank you
Lucy

Rodgers/Rogers N Ireland and Australia
Myers  N Ireland
Rose Ann Daly N Ireland
McKissick  N Ireland and Scotland
Susanna Hall  Belfast N Ireland
Heaney and Dargan Co Down N Ireland
Rose Anne Savage Belfast 1904

Offline Kanga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 15 October 09 00:24 BST (UK) »
I have had a look at the street directories and there is no Rachell Street but there is a Raphael Street.

Belfast/Ulster Directories online PRONI website:

1858-1859 page 168 - Raphael Street, Belfast

No 8  - Mary Macrory, Washerwoman

1863-1864 Page 224 - Raphael Street, Belfast

No 8 - Mary Rodgers, Washerwoman

1865 Page 230 - Raphael Street, Belfast

no 8 - Mary Rodgers, Washerwoman

1870 Page 370 - Raphael Street, Belfast

No 8 - Mary Macrory, Washerwoman

no 25 - John Lowry, Butler

Note: The older directories only went up to number 17 in Raphael Street.

1861 on Mary Lennon website shows no 8 Mary Rodgers, Washerwoman.

I don't know if the 1870 Mary Macrory, Washerwoman, is the same person listed in 1858-1859, or if Mary Rodgers, Washerwoman, and Mary Macrory are the same person.

The older directories did have Raphael Court, four small houses, no names listed - see 1861 on Mary Lennon's website.

Offline Kanga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 October 09 00:30 BST (UK) »
Re Rose Ann Daly baptism search

As far as I know most of the Roman Catholic baptism records for Belfast up to about the late 1890's are on the UHF database.

Offline Kanga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 15 October 09 04:37 BST (UK) »
Griffith Valuations transcribed and print date 1860:

Raphael St (ord. S. 37)

1. William McCelland
3 Joseph Croft
5 Francis Haslett
7 Elizabeth McKnight

No Raphael Court listed.

Ireland's Court (Ord. S.37)

1 Valued in Raphael St
2 Hyram Morgan
3 John Priss
4 Samuel Jameson
6 william Simpson

Raphael St - con.

9 Patrick Kane
11 James McCullogh
13 Andrew McKnight
15 Francis McBride
17 John Mcginn
6 James Porter
8 Mary McGrovey

Note: 1858-1859 Steet directory lists Mary Macrory in no 8.

Re 1911 Census: There is a Rose A Savage working for John Ewing & family at 102 Holywood Rd, Holywood.

Rose A Savage, servant, Roman Catholic, age 30 (born aound 1881 if age is correct), single, born Co Antrim.

This may be the same Rose A Savage:

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

The 1901 Census suppose to come online at the end of this year so you may find more information from the census to help you with your research.

All the best with your research.

Offline lucybella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 16 October 09 13:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kanga

I do not know if Isaac and Mary Rodgers from Raphael St 1860 were connected, as I don't have a baptismal cert.  It is possible, but I imagine it is a common name also.  I notice no Rose Ann Savage there.  The other possibility is Russell St, but the writing is difficult to make out.

I am very interested in finding out more about the Catherine living in Seymour Lane with him.  It could hold the key to finding who his parents were, if I could find what age she was??  Sister, or mother, possibly mother, is she was listed in the Griffiths Valuation.

There must have been two Rose A Savage's.  It is very likely that the death you found could well be William's neice.  I may be able to order a birth and death certificate for her, which may tell me more.
I have been unable to find any baptismal certificates for either Rose Ann Daly or Isaac Rogers on the UHF website.  Maybe they don't have a complete list yet.
All your help is very much appreciated.
Thank you,
Lucy
Myers  N Ireland
Rose Ann Daly N Ireland

Offline lucybella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 07 December 09 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have been searching for a birth for Isaac Rodgers about 1830 and the only one that comes up in the UFHF website for near that date is Isaac Orr Rodgers b Jan 1831 Raphoe Co Donegal.
At first I thought that must be him.  Then I noticed on Ancestry website, either a marriage or death record in USA for Isaac Orr Rodgers Raphoe b 1831.  So I dismissed him as my ancestor.
Then I read on one of the forums relating to Ancestry website, that these family tree records are very unreliable, and it is possible someone incorrectly claimed Isaac Orr Rodgers in their tree, and they are mistaken??
I am wondering if anyone has any comments.  He is the only Isaac Rodgers born the correct year in Ireland, baptised a Presbyterian, (my Isaac converted to Catholicism at time of death, so this ties in).  Could the USA records I saw for him be wrong?
Grateful for any advice
Lucy
Myers  N Ireland
Rose Ann Daly N Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 07 December 09 09:23 GMT (UK) »
The LDS pages list Isaac Orr Rodgers born 1820 Rathoe [Raphoe], Donegal but this site gives more details, including children (some born in Scotland)-
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:2715804&id=I542749093
In 1871-1891 this Isaac, wife Susan and children are in Scotland.

Going back to your post now-
He is the only Isaac Rodgers born the correct year in Ireland, baptised a Presbyterian, (my Isaac converted to Catholicism at time of death, so this ties in).

It's quite possible that there was more than one Isaac Rogers/Rodgers born in Ireland c1820-1830. Remember that many early baptismal records will either not survive or will not be available online.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!