Author Topic: Where is Cwm?  (Read 10378 times)

Offline barryhutchings

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Cwm?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Miners didnt always walk to work there were trains from the 1860s - special miners trains with wooden slat seats which were never cleaned but the miners could safely leave their tobacco on the racks by their seat for the return journey such was their trust in each other

Offline Butterfly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Yep, I understand that, however, Pontypool was not a mining town and Panteg was so were other areas leading up to Blaenavon. As for "trust in each other" I would never idealize the past in this way if I were you.  ;) This can be a little of a myth to say the least.  It's late now, and I'll get back to you soon, tomorrow evening probably. but a journey from that area to Cwm would have taken a little while,  maybe half hour or even more, which to us may be not a long time but considering changes of trains etc... I also think that the post saying that a part of Panteg was noted as Cwm should be recognised as very sound,  also, money would be tight and this an expensive way of travelling.  Most people lived around where they worked, hence Marine Street etc. built for the colliers,  and the same elsewhere.
Surnames: Stafford, Essex, Bird, North: Coventry, Warwickshire.
Hyatt: Coventry, Leicester.
Surnames: Bunstone, Jeanes: South Petherton, Somerset.
Surnames: Moynihan, O'Leary, Murphy, MacGillycuddy: Kerry, Ireland
Surnames: Brace, Powell: Monmouthshire, Glamorganshire and Pembrokeshire.

Offline clivey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 April 05 17:48 BST (UK) »
If Cwm is to do with Panteg Pontypool then it is short for
Cwmynyscoy Panteg parish Pontypool.

it was commonly shortened to Cwm on the census  :)

Plenty of mines in the area as well

clivey

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 April 05 18:15 BST (UK) »
maybe you can find any possible Cwms on www.multimap.com

Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MGD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 May 05 23:09 BST (UK) »
In the marriage register for 1850 for Panteg/Panteague (near Pontypool), there is a record for the marriage banns of Phillip GILBERT, miner, of Cwm, son of John GILBERT, miner,  and Elizabeth DAVIES, otp, daughter of Thomas DAVIES, founder.

It seems Cwm is an abbreviation, but which is the most likely town?

Thanks for any help - I'm half a world away from Wales, and am clueless on the local geography.
loosly Cwm Means Valley basin. in the area of Pontypool Panteg it is short for Cwmynysacoy located to the sth west of Pontypool.

Offline MGD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 May 05 22:03 BST (UK) »
In the marriage register for 1850 for Panteg/Panteague (near Pontypool), there is a record for the marriage banns of Phillip GILBERT, miner, of Cwm, son of John GILBERT, miner,  and Elizabeth DAVIES, otp, daughter of Thomas DAVIES, founder.

Thanks for any help - I'm half a world away from Wales, and am clueless on the local geography.
loosly Cwm Means Valley basin. in the area of Pontypool Panteg it is short for Cwmynysacoy located to the sth west of Pontypool.

loosly Cwm Means Valley basin. in the area of Pontypool the name Cwm it is short for Cwmynysacoy located to the sth east of Pontypool. The Parish Church for Panteg was St Mary's Panteg. This had boundries with the Parish Church of St Cadoc's at Trevethin, and further boundries with St Michaels LLanvihangel Church. trust this will help MGD

Offline DaveP

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Lenny 9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 December 12 14:31 GMT (UK) »
The Cwm is part of Blaendare near Panteg, Pontypool. It is still called The Cwm.

Offline Lenny 9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 December 12 15:22 GMT (UK) »
The complete name is Cwmniscoy.