Author Topic: Joseph Burnside, Cockerton  (Read 61186 times)

Offline Bugman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Burnside, Cockerton
« Reply #162 on: Friday 09 January 15 13:09 GMT (UK) »
I have started looking at my mothers Family tree, her Maiden name was Lily Burnside, her Father was Thomas, on the 1861 census it shows 2 Burnside families living next door to each other, Ambrose & his family at 26 Sunderland Rd, Edward and his family at No.27, both Licenced Hawkers, if our families are connected any information would be appreciated.

Offline lanelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Saturday 10 January 15 18:27 GMT (UK) »
hi Bugman,
                 Glad to hear from you. give me a bit more of where you fit in to the family.
I have Thomas b1918 55 New Elvet rd Durham C. His father Edward who was son of Joseph, son of  Edward you have in 1861 census. My Benjamin was also son of this Edward.
                                      All for now Fred.

Offline Bugman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Sunday 11 January 15 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred,
My grandfather Thomas was born 1890 at new Durham, His Father was Joseph was from Guisbrough, Yorks. Hannah his wife from Cockfield, the rest of the family on the 1891 census are -   Sarah H (18)
Mary (15), Edward (11), Richard (11), Ellen A (8), Joseph (6),
John.

Offline lanelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Sunday 11 January 15 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,
           All i have for this period is Edward c1878 married a Isabella Stockdale. One census had a Ashworth c1880, was that actually Richard. My memory (75 years old) tell me there was a Lily at Hetton le hole. I`m Luton, previously Easington Lane. I have other p/work somewhere, what sort of things do you need.
                             Fred

Offline Bugman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Sunday 11 January 15 18:15 GMT (UK) »
basically any information on the Burnsides, it does not really matter if they are not a direct link, I might be able to show there is a link between them later.
I am not just after a family tree, I would like to get to know how these people lived, and what happened to them.
if you send me your email address I will send you what information I have, based on censuses,
with the exception of info off family search. my email address is (*)
I will send it tommorow.

John.   

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline NickRC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 14:47 GMT (UK) »
If Ambrose buried at Leeds in 1782 was aged 60 and from Darlington, then it may be Ambrose baptised 1726 Auckland St. Andrew, who married Isabell Porteous.  How interesting though.

You probably already know the answer (since it's more than 4 years elapsed since the original discussion) but the Ambrose that died in Leeds was from Darlington.  The Bishop's Transcript doesn't mention an age, but it must be a good chance that it is Ambrose (bap. 1726).

Nick
Gordon, Lockey, Greenhow, Fairley, Kell, Close, Barrow, Wigham, Burnside, Dowell, Cowell, Reay, Dodds, Milburn, Rottenbury

Offline skiprat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, i'm new to this site so please forgive me if I appear to be a bit of a novice. I'm researching my god mother, Mary Donovan's tree. Her mother was Louisa Stephenson bn 1925 Middlesbrough and her father was Richard bn 1899 Middlesbrough.

Richard's parents were William bn Guisborough c1873 (brick wall) and Mary Ann Paterson bn Spennymoor c1875 daughter of William bn c1831 ? Banwell, Northumberland.

William married Lavinia Swales bn 1837, Yarm. The connection with Lavinia leads me indirectly to Ambrose Burnside and Alexander Stephenson.

It has come to light that there is a lot of inter-marriage between the travelling community and lines get blurred, especially with christian names. I would really appreciate some help with who William Stephenson's parents were and William Pattison's just to see how they fit in to the puzzle.

Thanks,

Kim

Offline verezzi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Monday 13 November 23 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Some final notes from me on the Joseph Burnside who prompted this post…. Firstly the 1841 Mainsforth Census is correct for him, it seems Uncle Robert Burnside is on the census twice which I have seen elsewhere, Joseph is working for John Hall whose mother was Mary Burnside the sister of Uncle Robert, Mary had married another John Hall. Mary Burnside’s  son John Hall did very well, he was the servant of Robert Surtees the historian from Mainsforth Hall and rose to the rank of butler, Surtees loved him and mentions him in his will and gave him a farm to run when he left service, John married the Surtees’ housemaid and a poem exists that Surtees wrote to them on their wedding day. John didn’t like the farm he was given- East Chilton Farm in Kirk Merrington parish- it was right next to a railway track and still is- and so he came to farm lands in Mainsforth for Robert Surtees’ widow. I have a tithe map for Mainsforth and John Hall is listed as farming most of it, no wonder he called in the Burnside clan. Joseph Burnside is on the 1841 census with John Hall, Joseph’s mother’s cousin.

Coming back to Joseph Burnside, I found a newspaper article from 1851 for a Hannah Rigg being born, the daughter of Hannah Rigg of Staindrop, single woman fathered by “Joseph Burnside of Cockerton”. Hannah is the same age as the Joseph of this post who married a different lady this same year. The baptism for little Hannah is in the Cockfield records. It would seem Joseph had a child before his marriage. Hannah Rigg the elder married Jonathan Taylor a few years later. Staindrop is just slightly north of Alwent toll bar on Staindrop Road which that same year was ran by Mary Burnside, this Mary’s father was Joseph Burnside the brother of Lavinia, Robert, Mary et al. The Alwent toll cottage where Mary lived is still on the road. It may explain why Joseph was in the area, this Mary Burnside was Joseph’s mother’s cousin.

We established Joseph was the son of Hannah Burnside the daughter of Lavinia Burnside before Lavinia married George Cowley. Lavinia also had another llegitimate child, a son called Robert- she is the Violetta that stumped us way back on this thread, whether she went by this name as well or if it is a misreading of Vianer which she also went by is unknown, her death cert however gives her name as ‘Violet Cowley’ which might show she used them both just to be fickle. I have located Lavinia and George’s  house in Walworth Gate from tithe maps, it is still there. Anyway, this Robert Burnside married Mary Goldsborough, Robert was a coal miner but died young, they had a son born in Walworth where Lavinia was living called William. This William Burnside was later arrested for housebreaking and attempting to shoot a police officer, he was transported to Australia. I found two photos of him in Australian convict records. This William Burnside is Joseph’s cousin and not his mother’s cousin for once! Hope this helps someone.
Durham: Hall, Wilkinson, Taggart, Woodcock, Watson, Gray, Wood, Cummings, Wheldon, Robinson, Cowley, Perkins, Burnside, Corby
Yorkshire: Petty, Blenkiron, Stabler, Garforth.
Northumberland: Wood, Hall, Wilkinson.
Lincolnshire: Bavin, Cook, Graves/Greaves, Catten
Gloucestershire: Smith, Jones, Wheeler
Ireland: Taggart, Workman.
Warwickshire: Commander, Betts.
Staffordshire/Worcestershire: Perkins, Commander, Plant, Nock, Guest, Hackett