Author Topic: Joseph Burnside, Cockerton  (Read 60674 times)

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Burnside, Cockerton
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 29 October 09 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Ermy,

I forgot to ask. Were any of your Longstaffs from Blackwell?

I have a photo of my grandad and his brother with a Mr Longstaff standing between them. They were all in DLI uniforms and it must have been just after they joined up for WW1.

Colin

Offline Ermintrude46

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Capture of the Maria Riggersbergen, Oct 18th 1806
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 30 October 09 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin,
Occupation is no help as both are potters or tinkers at various points, as are their fathers.  There's only nine months between the baptisms of Ambrose1 bap Aug 1778 (son of Edward) and Ambrose2 bap May 1779 (son of Benjamin), though it's not clear how old either was at baptism.  Did Ambrose and Eliz (Harrison) have any other children, do you know? 

My descent is from Sarah, daughter of Ambrose and Eliz (Watson), who was born in Shincliffe on 6/12/1817.  She married Joseph Hindle in April 1836, after the birth of their oldest son, Joseph Burnsides aka Hindle in Jan that year.  Most of the names of their 12 children seem to derive from the Hindle side of the family, there is neither an Edward nor a Benjamin, but there is a Watson Hindle born 1853.  I haven't followed the Burnsides down further than Sarah and some of her siblings.  Their middle son, my great-grandfather, John Hindle, came south to Kent in the early 1880s.  I have a photo taken of John and his wife and two small children probably as a token to leave behind as they never went back oop north.
Ermy

Baldwin / Dixey / Rumble (Berkshire)
Burnsides / Corps / Harker / HINDLE / Longstaff / Martin / Page (Co. Durham)
Chalker / Glyde / Morris / Pitman / Stroud (Dorset)
BARTON / Heasman / Wheatley (East Sussex)
Baby / Silver / Silvester (Hampshire)
Cheeseman / JONES / Wood (Kent)
Chalker (Somerset)
Curtis / Davis / Stevens (Wiltshire)
Arcules / Carter / HINTON (Worcestershire)
~.~. main lines in CAPS .~.~

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 30 October 09 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ermy,

Thanks for the details of your side which shows that I've got some details wrong in mine. I had assumed that Elizabeth and family in Bondgate in the 1841 census were mine and she was Elizabeth (Harrison nee Hull), but it's now fairly clear that they are yours. The daughter Diana married James Barlow and the witnesses were Francis Dinsdale and Sarah Hindle.

As a result, I now only have the one baptism in 1803 for my Edward and it looks as though the family disappear after that.

Colin

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 31 October 09 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Preshous

Do you have an Isabella Burnsides and Ambrose Burnsides possibly of Belmont New Durham in your data?

My great grandmother Mary Smith!! is a very elusive lady and seems to have some connection to the Burnside/s family the above two being witnesses at her marriage 1869

However, they seemed to move around between Guisborough and Durham, I am assuming they were either travellers or tinkers etc.

I still need to check the census returns.

Ceeoh

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 31 October 09 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ceeoh

As you might have gathered from the posts on this topic the Burnside name is proving very problematic. I believe the Ambrose & Isabella who were witness's to your great grandmother's wedding can be found in the 1871 census
 Piece: 4967; Folio: 86; Page: 31. From that census this particular Ambrose gives his place of birth as Yorkshire.
The naming convention of the Burnside family would suggest that most of the Burnside family c 1750 to c 1850 in the Durham/Yorkshire area are related in some way. Making the connection is an entirely different matter. I am trying to build distinct family units via census returns and BT's, not an easy task. I don't expect to be finished anytime soon.

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline Ermintrude46

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Capture of the Maria Riggersbergen, Oct 18th 1806
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 31 October 09 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Looking back at the 1861 and 1851 that particular Ambrose appears to be the son of Edward and Sarah Burnsides.  Edw & Sarah (but not Ambrose) are in Guisborough in the 1851 census where Edward's place of birth is clearly given as "Yackley, Durham".  http://www.archive.org/stream/glossaryofdialec00hopeuoft/glossaryofdialec00hopeuoft_djvu.txt  This book of dialect pronunciations that are not said as spelt suggests that "Yackley" is actually Aycliff in Co. Durham.  Interestingly, Edward and Sarah's oldest son in 1851 is called Benjamin - Colin, do you think this could be Edward son of Ambrose and Elizabeth Harrison??
Ermy

Baldwin / Dixey / Rumble (Berkshire)
Burnsides / Corps / Harker / HINDLE / Longstaff / Martin / Page (Co. Durham)
Chalker / Glyde / Morris / Pitman / Stroud (Dorset)
BARTON / Heasman / Wheatley (East Sussex)
Baby / Silver / Silvester (Hampshire)
Cheeseman / JONES / Wood (Kent)
Chalker (Somerset)
Curtis / Davis / Stevens (Wiltshire)
Arcules / Carter / HINTON (Worcestershire)
~.~. main lines in CAPS .~.~

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 31 October 09 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello again - sorry to jump in on your topic again, but I see Ambrose in 1871 says he was born in Enterham Yorkshire (could that be Enterpen?) in 1861 he says Guisborough.

G grandma gives her place of birth as Guisborough until 1901 when it suddenly becomes Eggerven near York (no such place).

Any ideas what either of these could be the dialect pronunciation for please?

Many thanks

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 01 November 09 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly, Edward and Sarah's oldest son in 1851 is called Benjamin - Colin, do you think this could be Edward son of Ambrose and Elizabeth Harrison??

Ermy,
I am fairly sure that the Edward you refer to is not the one married to Sarah. He is my connection with the Burnside's and I wasn't sure I had the right parents for him. He married Elizabeth Swailes and I recently found that their son William married Elizabeth Swales, and in the 1851 he was living with the Swales family at Brompton on Swale but the way the they are recorded, it looks as though his wife was Mary Ann. I'm still trying to get my head round the last member of the family who was an 80 year old mother with surname Masfield, born Blackwell.

Padded-wall time  :( :( :(

Colin

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 01 November 09 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin

I have just spent the whole weekend trying to build the Burnsides into family units and it is next to impossible. No matter which way I turn they all seem to be related. I have managed to build a few distinct family units from Aycliffe, but as with anything Burnside it seems all roads lead to Rome, and Rome being the key word here. The romans built the biggest wall in Britain and the bloody Burnside family are hiding behind it. I have built a huge excel book, so big it confuse's even me. But on a more positive note I got so sick of trawling the BT's I set to transcribing them to save searching images (not kind on the eyes).
It seems my Joseph will remain a mystery :'(

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington