Author Topic: Joseph Burnside, Cockerton  (Read 60675 times)

Offline verezzi

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Burnside, Cockerton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 October 09 11:54 BST (UK) »
I have a Joseph Burnside on my line who was born a little earlier in Cockerton, he may be an ancestor of your Joseph, he was a farmer's hind and lived at Oak Tree House, Cockerton in Darlington in 1785 when his daughter Lavinia was born. Lavinia married George Cowley in Haughton Le Skerne, Darlington in 1818 (as Lovehannah Burnside) it's possible they are relatives of yours. However, I have not researched this line yet and the only other scrap of information I have is a grave in Billingham (where the Cowleys migrated) right next to that of George and Lovehannah's son which reads: In Loving memory of Joseph Robert Burnside, youngest son of Joseph and Elizabeth Burnside who died May 9th 1909 aged 23 years, also Elizabeth, beloved wife of Joseph Robert Burnside and mother of the above who died June 11th 1917 aged 65 years.

Although I have not researched this line properly I found the above scrap online on familysearch as a lot of Darlington's parish records are available to view online as scanned images- much more than you get for an IGN search on the same website, if you didn't know this, go to family search's homepage, highlight 'Search Records' and click on 'Record Search Pilot', then click 'Browse our record collections' a map will appear, click on the UK, click on 'English diocese of durham bishops transcripts circa 1700-1900, then click on Durham, you should get a menu which includes parish records for Darlington (which includes Cockerton), Aycliffe, Coniscliffe and Haughton Le Skerne, click on the one you want, then select the time period and click 'view images', it has saved quite a few trips to Durham Records for me and it's nice to view the original records.

Hope this helps,
Dan :)
Durham: Hall, Wilkinson, Taggart, Woodcock, Watson, Gray, Wood, Cummings, Wheldon, Robinson, Cowley, Perkins, Burnside, Corby
Yorkshire: Petty, Blenkiron, Stabler, Garforth.
Northumberland: Wood, Hall, Wilkinson.
Lincolnshire: Bavin, Cook, Graves/Greaves, Catten
Gloucestershire: Smith, Jones, Wheeler
Ireland: Taggart, Workman.
Warwickshire: Commander, Betts.
Staffordshire/Worcestershire: Perkins, Commander, Plant, Nock, Guest, Hackett

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 October 09 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Dan

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the Burnsides on the gravestone are not mine (yet). My Joseph died in 1872.
As previously mentioned he married twice, first wife was  Jane Wedgewood with whom he had at least 5 children. Jane died in 1861. His second wife  was Elizabeth Richardson with whom had at least 4 children. Elizabeth went onto remarry in 1874. I have trawled the BTs for some time now hoping to get any info however the records I seek do not appear to be available. With any luck Colin will find something out from the parish records for cockerton.

Regards

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary,

I thought I'd better let you know that I might not get to the library this week as I've just come down with a cold and I don't want to spread it.

If you or Dan ever decide to research the Burnside families I would suggest having a padded wall nearby. They are a nightmare because they all tended to use the same names at the same time.

As an example, Dan mentions Lavinia born 1785 at Cockerton. I have Lavinia born 1786 at Blackwell, both in the Parish of St Cuthbert's. Which one married George Cowley at Houghton le Skerne, which was also in the Parish of St Cuthbert's?
Or could it be yet another Lavinia as both would have been in their 30's by 1818? Early marriage records did not show father's name which makes for a lot of guesswork.

Colin

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 05:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

Thanks for letting me know. I hope your cold is not to bad. I am in no rush for info on my Joseph. I know what you mean about the names and dates. I still think the lack of a fathers name on the marriage certificates could prove to the biggest clue. Again thank you for your interest. Get well soon.

Gary

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 October 09 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary,

It was a disappointing search. No Joseph Burnside baptised at St Cuthbert's from Jan 1820 to Feb 1831. I re-checked for any Joseph baptised in 1825 or 1826 but there was nothing likely. I wondered if I had the year wrong so checked the census which confirmed it. His uncle (?) Robert was born Brafferton so I wondered if Joseph might have been baptised at Aycliffe. Unfortunately the library is having a recurrent problem with a leaking roof and the microfilm storage is cordoned off so I couldn't check.

I don't like being beaten so I checked the BTs for Aycliffe and still found nothing for Joseph, but there was an interesting burial on 15 Feb 1824 for Elizabeth Burnside age 82 of Bottom House, Parish of Darlington. This is the neighbouring farm to Holly House where Joseph and Robert were from 1851.

It seems to me that Robert could be the son of Elizabeth, and as he was born Brafferton, she would have moved to Cockerton after c1778, presumably with her husband. It might be worth trawling the BTs for St Cuthbert's to build up a possible mother or father for Joseph.
If I can help further, then let me know.

Colin

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 October 09 06:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

Many thanks for taking the time to look for my Joseph. It looks like he will remain a brick wall for a good while longer. The Elizabeth death seems promising if she proves to be the mother of Robert then that would/should mean she was at least the grandmother of my Joseph, and possibly his great grandmother.
Once again thank you for your efforts.

Gary

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 October 09 18:42 GMT (UK) »
To Colin & Dan

I have spent quite a bit of time over the weekend trying to unravel this mystery & I came to the following conclusion.( I managed to build a rather large,and still growing excel document)
There is only one Robert Burnside/s born in Brafferton c 1779 with the father Joseph. I have trawled the BT's for all possible siblings and can only find the ones listed in the IGI. At some stage after the birth of Robert c1779 Joseph & his wife ( I suspect she was called Elizabeth)  moved to Cockerton. I noted the birth of Lavina c 1785 with a father as Joseph ( who I believe was also the father of the aforementioned  Robert). As you will probably be aware there is a distinct lack of births/marriages/deaths for a Joseph Burnside/s listed on the IGI. The NBI does throw a few clues however, in particular the death of Joseph in 1818 at Darlington St Cuthbert aged 76 &, as Colin mentioned Elizabeth who was buried in Aycliffe in 1824 aged 82, were these the parents of the Aycliffe/ Cockerton Burnside/s, it seems a very good possibility. Colin you are quite right a padded room is an absolute must when researching the Burnside/s surname. Hopefully I can exhaust my search of the BT's in a couple of weeks( my lamp oil, pitmans speak for eyesight, permitting) and then move on to original PR's. Please feel free to offer any guidance.

Gary

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 October 09 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary,

When I checked the Aycliffe BTs I think there were gaps and 1779 was missing. It might be worth checking the dates. I'm a bit busy for the next few days as we have a visitor from New Zealand. The IGI has extracted records for Aycliffe but I'm not sure if they are from the BTs or the actual registers.

I recall doing a quick check for any burnside/burnsides on the census, with a key word of cockerton, and found a farmer Robert age 60+ in 1841. This could be Joseph's uncle and not the one who is in the same household as Joseph at Mainsforth in 1841. I hope you can follow this.

Colin

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 October 09 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Looking at my HM Woods transcript of Aycliffe parish baptisms:

24 Oct 1779 Robert son of Joseph Burnsides, Brafferton, baptised.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk