Author Topic: Canadians Regiments In Worthing WW2  (Read 8242 times)

Offline Christopher Robin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Henry Vowles "Blind Harry" Brighton Seafront 1905
    • View Profile
Canadians Regiments In Worthing WW2
« on: Thursday 08 October 09 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
I run a website www.canadianrootsuk.org
What we do is to help children of Canadian soldiers born during WW2 find their fathers.
Also  Canadian fathers/families trace children born in the UK.

I need to know what Canadian Regiments were stationed in the Worthing area,  dates, and in which roads they were billeted.

I have now been asked to write a book about the Canadians stationed in Worthing and West Sussex during WW2. So I have asked a friend to help. We are appealing for help. Particularly interested to hear from any Canadian Veterans who were stationed in the area. Also anyone who was in the Home Guard and came in contact with the Canadians. In fact anyone who has memories relating to the Canadians stationed in West Sussex during World War Two and any photographs etc.     Please contact me via the website above, thak you.

Thank you
Chris
VOWLES Bristol-London-Brighton. PRIOR Brighton-Southampton-Kent. VAUGHAN Kent. HORTON Maidstone Area, Kent. COWELL, Kent.  HARLOW, Crundale, Kent.

Offline hokum50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canadians Regiments In Worthing WW2
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada were billeted at the sea-end of Heene Road if my memory serves me right during their stay in Worthing.
Nothing else of any portent I'm afraid.
Regards
hokum50

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 16:51 GMT (UK) »
The Canadians destroyed the old clock tower in Angmering Park Estate - used it for target practice.
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stevewalker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 21:09 BST (UK) »
I can't help much but do know that the building in Farncombe Road in Worthing currently occupied by St John Ambulance was purchased by that organisation from the MOD in 1945 and it had been used by The Canadian forces here. I don't know anymore than that but am trying to find out how it came into the hands of the Canadians and for what purpose it was utilised. In those days I think the building was called KENMORE but today it has been renamed by SJA I believe to Candia.

Offline johnlancelotcrozier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 October 18 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Read posts with interest.

Have lived in Pigeonhouse Lane, Rustington for 24 years.  Was originally from London.  Understand that during WW1 an Aerodrome was built when USA joined the war in 1917.  It stretched from Ash Lane to the West to Pigeonhouse Lane in the East.  It wasn't totally finished when war finished in 1918 and various buildings, such as the hangars, were dismantled, moved to nearby places and used for other things.

During WW2 the Canadians were posted here.  Pigeonhouse House Lane is made of reinforced concrete - I understand to be able to cope with very heavy vehicles.  I have also been told that a runway was built directly to the West of Pigeonhouse Lane but unsure about this.

Just wondered if anyone had any info to add?

Regards

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 October 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
I used to live in Rustington/Littlehampton area.

There was a group of chalet type buildings on the edge of Littlehampton, which had been used to house Canadian soldiers during WW2; it was known as Canadian Village.

I believe it has been redeveloped.

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 17:57 GMT (UK) »
You may well find some useful info on units etc in  www.sussexhistoryforum.co.uk,
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 18:00 GMT (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada