Author Topic: Newton Mill Pty Ltd stationery factory  (Read 9483 times)

Offline fishy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newton Mill Pty Ltd stationery factory
« on: Friday 09 October 09 06:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

would anyone know  when Newton Mill Stationery factory was built, I think it was situated  on Old Road Newton Hyde Cheshire.
appreciate any help thanks.

Barbara (fishy)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newton Mill Pty Ltd stationery factory
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 October 09 00:03 BST (UK) »
Note sure if the website is of any use,it wouldnt let me save to favourits so hpe it works

http://www.mosi.org.uk/media/33866399/acquisitiondisposalpolicy2005-09.pdf

Celia

No dont think its any good for you its manchester but it does mention having the papers of Newton
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Stupes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 November 09 15:44 GMT (UK) »
The Newton Mill factory which produced stationery and greetings cards, was founded in 1895 by Mr. Thomas Owen Jacobsen and Mr. Stanley Welch (who was to later serve as the Mayor of Hyde, 1914-16), and initially traded as “Jacobsen and Welch”. See the following link :-
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=B14483
which indicates that the factory ceased in 1976. Have also attached a picture of the factory, and a picture of Newtonhurst (from 1922) cricket pavilion (which is where the Newton Mill cricketers played their cricket at that time). Hope this helps. Pete

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 November 09 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting this Pete, my mother worked there for a short time.  The factory is much bigger than I realised.

I think that the site has only just been redeveloped - I seem to remember driving past about 12 months ago.

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline Stupes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 November 09 17:58 GMT (UK) »
The last time I drove past was about six months ago, at which point it was owned by (and presumably still is) Louvolite. A few years ago, I wrote a book about the history of the Newtonhurst cricket team, a copy of which resides in local libraries (Ashton, Stalybridge, I think). This is the cricket team that has its origins in the Newton Mill cricket team, and part of the research into this book therefore involved the history of the factory as well. Newtonhurst, the cricket ground has long since gone, and has now been replaced by houses, with the roads now bearing sporting names (e.g. Charlton Avenue, Perry Avenue, and Mallory Road) to retain a reminder of yesteryear. As a matter of interest, the famous West Indian cricketer of the 1960's, Sonny Ramadhin, played on the Newtonhurst ground. The attached photos were taken in the 1920's, and show Newtonhurst at this time (one an aerial photo, and the other a close-up of the new pavilion). Regards, Pete.

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 November 09 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pete,

My mum's family lived at Barnfield Farm - the entrance was by the Chapel near the end of what is now Talbot Road.  My father's family lived on Ashton Road for most of the 1800's although they were at Harrison Fold in 1841.

Appreciate your input on this thread, it is very interesting.

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline Gilly21

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Fishy

I have a Box of Newton Mill Stationery for sale (nominal amount plus postage) from around 1940 if it would be of any interest to you.

Gilly 21

Offline fishy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 August 10 03:45 BST (UK) »
Hi  Gilly

Thanks for letting me know about stationery, but no I  wont have any thankyou though. appreciate you asking me.

Barbara (fishy)

Offline Stupes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 September 16 21:11 BST (UK) »
Not sure where the 1895 came from. I must have mistyped this when I wrote that bit. As far as I'm aware, Jacobsen & Welch first started trading in 1893, a couple of years earlier.