Author Topic: Royal Sappers and Miners in Canada?  (Read 2926 times)

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Sappers and Miners in Canada?
« on: Friday 09 October 09 06:59 BST (UK) »
An Ancestor of mine enlisted in the Royal Sappers & Miners in Glasgow in 1812 and was discharged (with a pension of One Shilling per day) in 1826. His Discharge Papers give no details of his service. I have found his daughter in the 1851 Census with a date of birth of around 1823 who gives her place of birth as Canada.
How can I find if the Sappers & Miners were in Canada at this time and if so would Canadian births of children of members of the Regiment be recorded anywhere?
Regards, Alastair MacDonald
Moray - (In Rafford) MacDonald, Laing, Younie.
Orkney - (In Evie.) Robertson, Sinclair, Laird.
Herefordshire - Fox, Graty.
Gloucestershire - Price, Spackman, Bourne, Tugman,   Burroughs, Brassington.
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Sappers and Miners in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 October 09 11:29 BST (UK) »
The Sappers and Miners were the Other Ranks of what later became the Royal Engineers. As a 'corps' they were thinly spread throughout the Empire, so they would no doubt have served in Canada.

If his service record gives his company you may be able to follow his service using the muster books. However you will have visit Kew. You could also look for overseas/regimental BMDs on Findmypast. The RE Museum may also be able to help you with which company served in Canada.

Ken

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 October 09 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Ken.
Many thanks for your suggestions. I have tried the Findmypast Regimental BMDs without any luck and will follow up the others as soon as I can. Regards, Alastair MacDonald
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline Susie C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 January 16 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alastair, I have a feeling we might we tracking the same individual? William Asher born in Alves, Moray?  He signed up in Glasgow and was discharged in 1826? Daughter Martha born in Canada in 1823? All of this seems to align with your information but it could of course be coincidental. If it is William, I wondered if you had found any more information? I have found two military births in Canada on Findmypast, one for a Mathew Asher born in 1820 and one for a Maria born 1823 ( maybe this was misspelled for Martha) both were Royal Engineer births. William was my 4xgg uncle. Many thanks Sue
Abernethy : Shetland
Fraser: Shetland
McCallum : Argyll
MacCalman: Argyll
Munro : Inverary
Sutherland: Elgin/ Fearn/Edinburgh/ Tillicoultry
Culbard : Elgin/ Edinburgh
Gibson: Ayrshire
Faddes: Ayrshire
McCormick: Ayrshire
Bruce : Aberdeenshire/Ayrshire
Kennedy : Aberdeenshire
Auld : Ayrshire
Morrison : Glasgow
Burton : Ireland
Collins : Stirlingshire
McLaren : Stirlingshire
Cargill : Angus
Coull : Angus
Anderson; Banff
Tocher: Banff
Sellars: Aberdeenshire
Mitchell : Aberdeen

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 January 16 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,
Yes, we are talking about the same individual. I didn't find Mathew, but it is over six years since I was researching this William Asher so maybe he's been added lately. I think it is very likely that Mathew is also a child of his, as I have a copy of William's 1826 Discharge Papers I got from the National Archives. In addition to his back-pay he received a Travel Voucher for himself, wife and four children to get from London to Glasgow where he originally signed up. I had found only three children for him born before 1826:- Alexander b. 1814, Martha b. 1823 and William b. 1824 so the fourth could well be this Mathew. He isn't with the family in the 1841 Census, though, so may not have survived until then.
I have a lot more information about this William, his parents, his siblings and all their families which I can send you. To save duplicating research you have already done can you tell me what areas you want to know about?
Regards, Alastair MacDonald
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 January 16 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alastair,
     Wm. Asher, Sappers & Miners Regiment is included in the Chelsea Pensioner Registers of Soldiers Who Served in Canada. 1743-1882.
     Admission Date: 1st Nov.1826. No: 779 H. Address: Elgin, Inverness? Died 4th Feb.1863.

ScotlandsPeople does have a death for a William Asher, Elgin, Moray in 1863 aged 84yrs.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Susie C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 January 16 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Alistair, I too have William's discharge Papers, and agree that the fourth child could well be Mathew, but I also haven't been able to find a death record for him. I am descended from William's sister Jane who married James Gordon so any info on that line, or on William Asher and Janet McPhersom would be great. Do you have any service or medal records for William? I wondered if he might have fought at Waterloo? I have another of my ancestors who fought at Waterloo ( from another regiment) and there is lots of information about him Also wondering how are you connected to me? I am happy to share anything I have too, is there is anything you are interested in? Many thanks too to Dod for your information. I am intrigued as the info I have on the Sappers and Miners states that they were posted to Canada in 1826 to help with the building of the Rideau Canal, but William was clearly there before this time with the birth of Mathew in 1820 and of Maria ( Martha) in 1823 a Ile au Noix (?) no idea what they were doing before that 1826. Anyone have any ideas? Kind regards Sue
Auld : Ayrshire
Morrison : Glasgow
Burton : Ireland
Collins : Stirlingshire
McLaren : Stirlingshire
Cargill : Angus
Coull : Angus
Anderson; Banff
Tocher: Banff
Sellars: Aberdeenshire
Mitchell : Aberdeen

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 January 16 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,
For information on what the Royal Sappers and Miners were doing, not only in Canada but elsewhere in the world, I recommend you look at the free-to-read online book with the snappy title:- "History of the Royal Sappers and Miners from the formation of the corps in March 1772 to the date when its designation was changed to that of Royal Engineers in October 1856". Published in 1857 and written by its Commandant T.W.J.Connolly it narrates their activities in chronological order.
As regards Waterloo their main activity had been the construction of pontoon bridges to enable the advance of the Army across rivers in their march towards Napoleon. Although they carried arms these were only for self defence if attacked. They were not a fighting force and so did not take part in the battle but were held in reserve in case they were needed. The reasons why they were not awarded the Waterloo Medal are set out in the above book.
I'll deal with your other questions separately, probably by PM. Regards, Alastair
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline Susie C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 January 16 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Alistair, that is great. I will check out the online book. I do appreciate you taking the time to reply and for any additional information that you have. Speak to you soon. Regards Sue