Author Topic: Royal Sappers and Miners in Canada?  (Read 2927 times)

Offline gordonbb

• RootsChat Extra
  • MBR Gordon 1897
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Sappers and Miners in Canada?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 March 18 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Alistair, I too have William's discharge Papers, and agree that the fourth child could well be Mathew, but I also haven't been able to find a death record for him. I am descended from William's sister Jane who married James Gordon so any info on that line, or on William Asher and Janet McPhersom would be great. Do you have any service or medal records for William? I wondered if he might have fought at Waterloo? I have another of my ancestors who fought at Waterloo ( from another regiment) and there is lots of information about him Also wondering how are you connected to me? I am happy to share anything I have too, is there is anything you are interested in? Many thanks too to Dod for your information. I am intrigued as the info I have on the Sappers and Miners states that they were posted to Canada in 1826 to help with the building of the Rideau Canal, but William was clearly there before this time with the birth of Mathew in 1820 and of Maria ( Martha) in 1823 a Ile au Noix (?) no idea what they were doing before that 1826. Anyone have any ideas? Kind regards Sue
Hi Susie
Connolly records that the Third Company of the Third Battalion were posted to Canada in 1813 to assist with fortifications during the war of 1812.  The Company was headquartered at Kingston but many small groups were sent all over Upper and Lower Canada as required.

In 1819 the headquarters was moved to illes aux Noix in the Richelieu River just upstream from the Vermont border.

If Martha was born there then she was likely Baptised at St. John’s Anglican Church at nearby Dorchester, present day St. Jean-sur-Richelieu. The Baptismal records are available in the Québec Non-Catholic Parish Registers collection on Family Search.
The unit was shipped back to the UK in 1821 or 1822 but some stayed behind and continued work and some exchanged a pension for Land Grants.

I’m working on tracing Cpl. Thomas Burrowes (1796-1866) who bought his discharge in 1822-4 in England but returned to Canada in 1826 to assume a civilian position as Assistant Overseer of Works for the Rideau Canal with Col. John By, R.E.  I’ve also hit the wall and would sorely love to get to Kew to view the Ordenance Dept. records to determine when & where he enlisted and see ant extant Muster Rolls.

Regards,

Bruce Gordon
Ottawa, ON
Gordon, Kincardine O'Neil, Aberdeenshire
Laing, Aberdeenshire
Robertson, Aberdeenshire
Ashton, Lincolnshire
Elgie, Absolutely Anywhere