Author Topic: Cille Choirill Brae Lochaber: Archibald Mcdonald & Ann Gillies  (Read 52152 times)

Offline ohelen1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cille Choirill Brae Lochaber: Archibald Mcdonald & Ann Gillies
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 11 March 10 11:39 GMT (UK) »
 Dear Kath,

Thank you so much for coming back to me...My family always believed that Father Coll had another sister that isn't on your geneology called Clementina who married Allan macdonald of Aonachan (unachan) iin 1838 ,which I believe is the old name for Spean Bridge. So we believe that Angus Mor Drochaid had 6 children, not 5.
Clementina died in 1841 or thereabouts, she had one child called Angus who is my great great grandfather. Apart from word of mouth the only proof that I have that father Coll and Clementina were brother and sister is  an article published back in the 195O's. It states that father Coll seem to decide overnight to become a priest after the death of  his favourite sister.
Catherine lived for many years, her first daughter born in 1842 was called Clementina, possibly in memory of her dead sister. Flora and mary I do not know when they died. However if they died after 1843 it would substantiate what we believe further.

It is ironic that due to the information on the web that misses off Clementina  I feel that I have to prove where she fits in. I'm also dubious as to the primary souce of the family trees floating around on the web as people are lifting information from family trees , not naming the source and the mistakes are being replicated over and over again. For example Father Coll was a catholic priest, to my knowledge a catholic priest is always called Father, not  Reverand.
 I myself made a mistake on another branch of the family. I assumed that a child was the child of the mother and the father...it was only when I obtained the birth certificate that I found out that she was illegitimate...which from a family tree perspective makes a big difference. However people had copied my information and I have noticed they haven't updated and corrected their trees.

If you would like further information on my branch of the family please  contact me on the ancestry.co.uk  website my user name is ohelen and then I can open up my tree for you to see. Angus ( son of clementina) had 11 children so it has become quite a big family .
May I ask where you obtained the geneology below?

If you have any information or hear anything that could help me find Clementinas place in history I would be truly grateful. My mother is so frustrated as she says why would anyone say someone was their uncle if he wasn't ? But as a researcher  I do not believe  word of mouth is sufficient...and without a little more proof I do not feel that I can bolt on Clementina to the family without something more tangible.   I was always told that one family member had died back in 1904 of Syphillis, his name was whispered and the sense of disgrace palpable. I obtained a copy of his death certificate...he died of Pythisis,  which was a  Victorian medical term for tuberculosis..  Poor man ...so you can see why I don;t always trust word of mouth..yet there is an essence of truth there.  Middle class families did tend to keep quiet about TB as it was percieved as a working class illness, so if they were saying Pythiis in hushed tones, I suppose you can see how assocaiation and chinese whispers turned it into Syphillis !

Unachan is desended through Angus  mor Droichoid brother Archibald and mary mackillops mother was the daughter of a third brother called Donald. So this makes my clementina the cousin of mary mackillops mother, Flora. I am sure that unachan will be in touch, as you see from a previous post he is away from home working at the moment., but he does know alot about this family, and I believe that he has done alot of research.
Please do contact me on ancestry if you want to see my tree and  I will keep you updated as to what I find...

very best wishes, helen

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 11 March 10 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen

Have you seen this entry on Father Coll www.archive.org/stream/catholichighland02blunuoft/catholichighland02blunuoft_djvu.txt - sections 75 and 76 principally.

It gives you some indication on his movements through the late 1840-50s, with fascinating insights into his life. It also includes details from his obituary, 1891.

He looks to have transferred over to Fort William c. 1854 - I was just trying to check whether we could find young Angus living with him on the censuses following the family stories that he went to live with Uncle Coll in Fort William. Angus would have been c. 14-15 then? Before this date, Father Coll looks to have returned to Scotland following his ordination in Rome c. 1850 and from the link given, moved to the Isle of Canna and then Knoydart by June 1851.

I haven't been able as yet to find him on the 1851 census. Have you been able to locate young Angus in the 1851 census?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 11 March 10 15:20 GMT (UK) »
His 1861 census entry:

Call McDonald 45, Roman Catholic Priest, b. Kilmonivaig, Invernessshire
Mary McDonald 76, mother b. Sleat, Invernessshire
Clementine McDonald 20, servant b. Abertarff, Invernessshire...is this a niece (daughter of sister Catherine)?
Dond McIntosh 24, visitor, RC priest
Mary McDonald 18, visitor b. Abertarff, Inverness

Address: Priests Square, Kilmallie

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ohelen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Dear Monica,

Thank you so much for your help. I'm still drawing blanks.Ii haven't been able to find father Coll on the 1851 census.....maybe  I should take a tip from the 1861 and look him up as Father Call  :)
I haven't found Angus either on either the 1841 (aged 2) the 1851 (aged 12 ) or the 1861.

The clementine on the 1861 may well be the daughter of catharine . Clementina  was born in 1841. According to a very kind researcher at the clan Donald centre who found the family on the 1841 census , they were living at Dundreggan in Glen Morriston. Clementina is  listed as  born in the parish of Glenmoriston.

However whilst Clementina is living with her parents in 1841, 1851, and 1871, she isn't witrh them on the 1861.
I don't know where Aberstaff is, her birth place on the 1861, if its around Glen Moriston this could well be her.

very best , Helen

Offline Bronylea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 21 March 10 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath,
My relationship to Mary McKillop,  Angus Mor Inch McDonald -Mar- Mary Corbett
                                                     Donald  Mar  Marcella, McDonald Donald is first cousin to Flora
                                                     Angus Thomas McDonald  Mar Catherine Rankin
                                                     Angus  Thomas Mc Donald Mar   Sarah Collins
                                                     then my parents
                                                     That is 5 generations
My relationship chart tell me i am second cousin 3x  removed from Mary the 17 October is our wedding anniversary Mary was an Australian so this is were we will celebrate saying that Rome will be full of Aussie
Thanks Take Care  Marie

Offline kathoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 22 March 10 03:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bronylea,
Thanks for your response, it so exciting to find Mary's relatives. Would it be possible to access your family tree to add your information to our archives. Are you going to Rome for the Canonisation? Have you had any previous contact with the Srs of St Joseph in Australia or Scotland? - we have a community at Fort William, Roys Bridge.
Warm regards
Kath

Offline Bronylea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 22 March 10 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath,
Wonderful to here from you i fell very proud and humble to be related to Mary The Mc Donald's who arrived on the British King in 1839 had a reunion in Cooma 1989 Sr Ursula was there (not sure of the spelling)we had a great time.
I am a member of the Sisters of St Joesph wont name the town i live in but our darling St Margaret  is in St Vincents Hospital  Sydney waiting surgery Just been told our Priest has made a special trip to see her she is loved by all plenty of paryes going her way.
No i have no contact with the sister in Scotland  should think about that no not going to Rome it would be great
I would love to send you my tree just give me time to go over it again will be in touch how to send it to you
Kind regards
Bronylea

Offline kathoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Lovely to hear from you Bronylea. I look forward to hearing from you and will say a prayer for Sr Margaret.
Kath

Offline Unachan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 18:42 GMT (UK) »
I wrote a huge reply last week to some of the issues brought up, it didn't post and i lost it, very frustrating!!!

I will try and think it out again, just back from a couple of trips and go again soon.

I am intrigued about who the Angus mor Inch is? The father of Catherine and father Coll was Angus mor drochaid and he also had a son Donald?

Can you elaborate just a bit more Bronylea as to where Angus mor Inch comes in? 

I have a small book produced by The sisters in Fort William, Patricia Keane RSJ.  I have the 2010 re-print, just delivered to me.  It is about Blessed Mary's journey through Scotland Oct 1873-Jan 1874.  Many good pictures in it of the local places she visited.

For Kathoc, the sisters are based in Fort William and Roy Bridge is a very small village about 12 miles from Fort William.

Unachan