Author Topic: Allen of Camus, Glenleary etc- Macoquin, Dunboe, Coleraine  (Read 15842 times)

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Allen of Camus, Glenleary etc- Macoquin, Dunboe, Coleraine
« on: Friday 09 October 09 14:17 BST (UK) »
I have just been trying to figure out the various Allen families in the Dunboe/ Macosquin area,  and if anyone is working on them, or knows about them, I'd be glad to hear from them. 
 My great grandmother Isabella Allen was granddaughter of Robert Allen of Glenleary who was 88 in 1911.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Allen of Camus, Glenleary etc- Macoquin, Dunboe, Coleraine
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 October 09 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I have a record of a Robert Allen who was head of house in Glenleary, Macosquin in the 1851 census. His wife was Betty and his children were Nancy, aged 6, John, aged 18mths and Sarah aged 1 Month. I also have a record of the marriage of a Robert Allen to Elizabeth Henry in Dunboe 2nd Presbyterian Church on 3 Mar 1844.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 October 09 16:15 BST (UK) »
That is a very speedy reply! many thanks, yes that is them. I have been piecing together odd bits, but they weren't well off, so are slipping through some of the nets. Thanks indeed for confirming the Dunboe marriage; I'd deduced from various sources that his wife was Elizabeth, and only today came at it from two angles on Emerald Ancestors to make it fairly clear that it was the right couple.
Now it looks as though I descend from Henrys, and up until now I knew only that my mother's cousin had married into that connection, so that is an interesting change of focus

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 October 09 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   According to the Griffith's Valuation 1858, Robert was not rich but as he held 10 acres of land and 2 1/2 acres of bog he was better off than most people.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 October 09 18:20 BST (UK) »
Macosquin Presbyterian Church, 24 Mar.1887, James Allen, full age, bachelor, farmer, Glenleary, son of Robert Allen, farmer, to Esther Allen, full age, spinster, Camus, dau. of John Allen, _. Witnesses: John Allen, Lizzie MacFaul.
Their children baptised in same church. Have over 20 Allen baptisms from Macosuin Presbyterian Church (1879-1917)- if you are interested will send by PM.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 October 09 18:35 BST (UK) »
thanks very much for the offered records; I have been through the film myself in Coleraine, but of course it would be nice to have a check from someone else's reading of it. Is there a gap up to the 1870s in the Macosquin register, or did I miss a few pages?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 October 09 18:37 BST (UK) »
Also have the following death letters for Allens-

"Died at his residence, Camus, Coleraine on Sabbath 27th December 1942 JOHN ALLEN. The remains of my beloved husband will be removed for interment in Macosquin Presbyterian Burying-ground, on Tuesday 29th inst., at 2 p.m. (S.T.). Elizabeth Allen"

"Died at her husband's residence, Ballinrees on Sunday the 25th January 1891 ELLEN, beloved wife of John Allen ahed 54 years. Her remains will be removed for interment in First Dunboe Presbyterian Burying-ground on Tuesday 27th inst. at Twelve o'clock noon. John Allen"

"Died at her residence, Camus on Thursday, 8th October, 1914 MARGARET ANN relict of the late William Allen. Her remains will be removed for interment in Macosquin Presbyterian Burying-ground on Saturday 10th inst. at the hour of Two o'clock p.m. John Allen"

"Died at his father's residence Glenleary on Wednesday, 12th April 1882 WILLIAM ALLAN aged 26 years. His remains will be removed for interment in Camus Burying-ground, on Thursday evening 13th instant at 4 o'clock. Robert Allan"

"Died at his father's residence Glenleary on Monday 27th February 1911 SAMUEL JAMES third son of James Allen aged 10 years. His remains will be removed for Interment in Camus Burying Ground on Wednesday 1st March at the hour of 2 o'clock p.m. James Allen"

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 October 09 08:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for these death notices. There is new information in them, and I am pleased to find  that the Glenleary folk buried in Camus I;ll have to have a look in that old graveyard as I pas by; I'd never thought I had anybody buried there to justify a poke around it
L

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 October 09 08:47 BST (UK) »
I was in Camus on Monday afternoon but wasn't looking for Allen graves- it's a bit overgrown at the moment so suggest wellies if grass is damp.