Author Topic: Thomas France, Whitchurch  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Agent L

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas France, Whitchurch
« on: Friday 09 October 09 19:43 BST (UK) »
I am researching the France family who lived in the Whitchurch area. Thomas was born about 1815 and was a joiner. His daughter, Emma born 1837 married Ellis Lloyd from the Lower Wych/Iscoyd area - they were my great grandparents and I obtained their marriage certificate which gave me the information about Thomas being a joiner, but this is all I know about that part of my family. I use Ancestry for my research but have come to a standstill and I would be very grateful if anyone has any information or advice as to how I can find more details of them.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas France, Whitchurch
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 October 09 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Agent L,

There aren't that many Emmas born 1838 Whitchurch on the censuses.

I was looking at the 1841 census and wondering whether maybe Emma told a half lie when she married, naming her stepfather on her marriage cert and changing his surname to match.

The 1841 census shows a Steadman family at Whitchurch, parents Thomas a cabinet maker and wife Mary, with a 3 year old Emma and a baby son.

There's a marriage in 1840, Wem district, between a Thomas Steadman and possibly Mary Ann France. Maybe Emma was born illegitimately to Mary Ann? 

(edit: the marriage is on the IGI, 15 Sep 1840 Whitchurch, Thomas Stendman to Mary Ann France)

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Agent L

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 October 09 20:38 BST (UK) »
Tati, thanks so much for the suggestion, I'll certainly check it out.

Offline Agent L

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 October 09 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Tati, I have checked the information you gave me, and it all looks very likely, however, I don't think I would be able to prove this theory. I would however, be interested to know how you discovered this information so quickly as I have been beavering away for some time, trying to solve this puzzle. I am actually researching the Lloyd family of Lower Wych, nr Iscoyd, Whitchurch. Emma France married Ellis Lloyd in 1858, and was my great grandmother.

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 October 09 13:23 BST (UK) »
Well, I didn't discover anything, really. I just checked Emmas born ca. 1838 Whitchurch. This one had a father Thomas with the correct occupation, and it tallied with a marriage to a lady called France post-1838  :)

(Added: Who were Emma's marriage witnesses? Any clues there?)
"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk