Author Topic: Thomas France, Whitchurch  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Agent L

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas France, Whitchurch
« on: Friday 09 October 09 19:43 BST (UK) »
I am researching the France family who lived in the Whitchurch area. Thomas was born about 1815 and was a joiner. His daughter, Emma born 1837 married Ellis Lloyd from the Lower Wych/Iscoyd area - they were my great grandparents and I obtained their marriage certificate which gave me the information about Thomas being a joiner, but this is all I know about that part of my family. I use Ancestry for my research but have come to a standstill and I would be very grateful if anyone has any information or advice as to how I can find more details of them.

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas France, Whitchurch
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 October 09 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Agent L,

There aren't that many Emmas born 1838 Whitchurch on the censuses.

I was looking at the 1841 census and wondering whether maybe Emma told a half lie when she married, naming her stepfather on her marriage cert and changing his surname to match.

The 1841 census shows a Steadman family at Whitchurch, parents Thomas a cabinet maker and wife Mary, with a 3 year old Emma and a baby son.

There's a marriage in 1840, Wem district, between a Thomas Steadman and possibly Mary Ann France. Maybe Emma was born illegitimately to Mary Ann? 

(edit: the marriage is on the IGI, 15 Sep 1840 Whitchurch, Thomas Stendman to Mary Ann France)

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Agent L

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 October 09 20:38 BST (UK) »
Tati, thanks so much for the suggestion, I'll certainly check it out.

Offline Agent L

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 October 09 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Tati, I have checked the information you gave me, and it all looks very likely, however, I don't think I would be able to prove this theory. I would however, be interested to know how you discovered this information so quickly as I have been beavering away for some time, trying to solve this puzzle. I am actually researching the Lloyd family of Lower Wych, nr Iscoyd, Whitchurch. Emma France married Ellis Lloyd in 1858, and was my great grandmother.

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 October 09 13:23 BST (UK) »
Well, I didn't discover anything, really. I just checked Emmas born ca. 1838 Whitchurch. This one had a father Thomas with the correct occupation, and it tallied with a marriage to a lady called France post-1838  :)

(Added: Who were Emma's marriage witnesses? Any clues there?)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk