Author Topic: Thomas HOTCHKIN of "Woodhall Spa" fame  (Read 3815 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas HOTCHKIN of "Woodhall Spa" fame
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 December 17 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Doug:

Just Googled it, it appears that there is a hotel called The Manor up near the Golf Courses.  If you know Woodhall Spa, it's past the Dower House Hotel on the way out to the courses.  We will be going up to Woodhall in the next couple of months (my grandparents, my mum and one brother are resting there), in which case I shall investigate for you and if I find the cottage, I'll try and get a photo.

lydiaann
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline DougSteward53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Lydiann,

Thanks for the reply! I have contacted the current owners and Richard Platt replied and stated "I heard that a building that may have been the gamekeeper's cottage was demolished some years ago, but details are rather sketchy. You may find that the local cottage museum may be able to assist you further."

My Dad seems to remember that George Arthur Steward ended up the manager of the estate. I can't find any mention of him in any of the  Hotchkin stuff that is online yet.

So you may be on the right track! I have noted that the previous owner of "the Manor" was Stafford Vere Hotchkin (1876-1953) via Wikipedia.

Offline DougSteward53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 January 18 20:07 GMT (UK) »
I've gotten a copy of my Great Grandmothers Will and it shows her address at time of death as "The Gameskeeper's Cottage the Manor House. and one of the witnesses of the will was Neil Stafford Hotchkin. He was the son of Stafford Vere Hotchkin. The Manor is now the Woodhal Spa Manor.