Author Topic: deceased relative  (Read 8925 times)

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
Re: deceased relative
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The 1911 Ireland census shows Walter living with the Tate family on London Road, Ormeau & that he was born in the United States.
Too bad he wasn't born in Canada as there is a Walter Crossley in Winnipeg, Manitoba in the 1901, 1906 & 1911 census.

The UK National Archives has a Walter but it's not yours.

The CWGC has the 02/07/16 death date at Thiepval.

Have you tried to contact any living Tate family members in Ormeau? They may have some info.

PRONI will do a limited search for a few dollars. Since you know when he enlisted & his regiment they may be able to check the Royal Irish Rifles enlistment papers.

Good hunting.

J.A.M.
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 October 09 11:43 BST (UK) »
Have found the notes I had on Walter Crossley but it may not be any more than you already have by now but will post here to save others looking up the same information.

William CROSSLEY (born c1855 Belfast) m.1 Helen SHAW.
In 1881 they are living at Newton, Renfrew., Scotland: William Crossley 26 Ireland lithographer, wife Helen Crossley 26 Airdrie Lanark, dau. Elizabeth Crossley 5 Renfrew., son William Crossley 4 Renfrew., son Thomas Crossly 2 Renfrew.
William Crossley m.2 (2 Jan.1889- info. given above) Martha PRINGLE (born c1870 Co.Cavan, died 1916 Belfast). Three children from this marriage: John (c1891), Kathleen (1902) and child d.before 1911. 1911 census William, lithographer, and family living at Lismain St.

William CROSSLEY (born c1877 Renfrew.), son of William & Helen, m.(1904 Belfast) Margaret Jane Thompson (born c1873 Belfast). 1911 census William Crossley, lithographic printer, living at Ardgowan St. with wife Margaret Jane and 4 children (2 died before 1911): Georgina Thompson (born 1905), Elizabeth Tate (born 1907), William (born c1908), Thomas (born 1910).

Thomas CROSSLEY (born c1879 Renfrew.), another son of William & Helen, m.(1905) Anne/Annie. 1911 census living Roselyn St. with 3 daughters: Ella [Ellen Shaw born 1906], Annie [born 1907?], Emma [Emily born 1910?].

Elizabeth "Lizzie" CROSSLEY (born c1876 Renfrew.), dau. of William & Helen, m.(31 Aug.190 Belfast- info. given above) David Henry Tate. 1911 census living London Road with their 4 children: David Henry (1902), William George (c1903), Maude (c1907), Eliza Jane (c1915). Also in the household is Walter Crossley 'relative' age 18 machine boy born U.S.

Continued-
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 October 09 11:58 BST (UK) »
Walter CROSSLEY appears on Roll of Honour to members of printing trade in St. Anne's Cathedral, Belfast. In 1911 census his occupation given as 'machine boy' and given other Crossleys working as lithographic printers it's possible Walter also worked with them by 1911 (and probably until he enlisted in 1915).

I have searched all sorts of U.S. and Canadian records for clues about Walter's birth. I can't find any record of him returning to U.K. under name of Walter Crossley or in 1900 U.S. census (although it's possible he came to U.K. sometime between his birth c1893 and 1900).

As to who Walter's parents might be- I originally thought that he might be an illegitimate son of Elizabeth (Crossley) Tate as he is living with the Tates in 1911 (although Elizabeth says she's the mother of 4 children these are her children by David Tate).

However, re-looking at all the census information posted above I am now wondering if Walter wasn't the son of Margaret (Thompson) Crossley for several reasons. First of all, Margaret is old enough to be Walter's mother whereas Eliza was only about 17 when Walter would have been born. Second, Margaret's 2nd daughter named Elizabeth Tate Crossley (why? Elizabeth was still alive and having her own children but Margaret and William must have thought a lot of Elizabeth to name their daughter after her). Also, consider that Walter's medals ended up in house belonging to Margaret's son.

The next step would probably be to search for Walter in 1901 census and see if he's living with any relatives in Belfast (or elsewhere in Ireland). The 1901 census is expected to be put online late 2009/early 2010.

Have you contacted Norma yet? She knows of living relatives and perhaps they've heard family details that might clear up the mystery.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 October 09 16:25 BST (UK) »
Meant to add that Walter's death certificate, if found, will not list names of parents, birthdate or birthplace and cause of death might say something like 'died in France' or something equally unhelpful.

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 October 09 22:14 BST (UK) »
this is the marriage.

Record Type Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage 30 Apr 1904
Groom Name william CROSSLEY
Bride Name margaret jane THOMPSON
Church Saint Annes Church of Ireland
Parish Shankill
Civil District Belfast
County Antrim

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline steveuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 October 09 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Affy. Just enquiring if you are still looking for Walter Crossley. Please let me know as i have found some interesting details.
Morgans deptford London/Kent/Surrey/Staffordshire
Goodman Staffordshire
Birch London Lambeth