Author Topic: "Guaranteed" Immigrants to New Zealand - 1871  (Read 4247 times)

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Guaranteed" Immigrants to New Zealand - 1871
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 November 09 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to butt in but what you have said strongly ties in with my family some who migrated to NZ in 1863, another faction of it got there around 1840. I have always wondered why this Scottish contingent chose to leave a reasonabley well heeled existence in Scotland to start virtually again in NZ. I'm still not sure what it was all for. My Great great Grandfather and his wife (who disappeared into the ether around 1870 somewhere between NSW and NZ) took their 2 daughters and son to NZ in 1863. It seems his wife stayed for a great part in NSW with the son who would have been very young- 9 years, whilst Great greatgrandfather took the girls (born 1851& 1853) onto NZ with him.

Offline SH100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 November 09 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Glamis

I think the history of the NZ settlers must be fascinating and I would love to know more abou the social history att hat time.  A couple of thoughts spring to mind reading your posting, and I agree, it must have taken either great spirit to set off into the unknown, or naivety in terms of understanding the hardships they would encounter.  I have no idea of the percentages but a large number of people never actually made it to NZ - lots of ships either sank or burned and if that didn't kill the passengers then illness, starvation and other things certainly did.  I think it was almost as dangerous travelling from NSW as it was from England and Scotland.  Having said that though the wages were much higher than "back home" and many of the immigrants sent money home to feed their families.  Certainly after 1872, when the fighting was largely over, life in NZ must have been a little better for people; labourers wages were about 6 to 8 shillings per day compared with 4 or 5 shillings in England at that time.  So if you were happy to go without fancy clothes perhaps there was some sense in emmigrating.
Davies, Juckes, Taylor, Anslow, Turner: Shropshire
Hobson: Yorkshire & Norfolk
Rudd, Muskett: Norfolk
Wilkinson: Leeds & Cumberland
Fletcher, Mandal(e), Kirkhaugh, Sedgwick: Cumberland
Hundleby: Lincolnshire

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 November 09 17:11 GMT (UK) »
SH100, Thanks for replying but this is exactly what puzzles me. This Scottish contingent were wealthy and well connected. Infact one of the daughters who is my Great Grandmother married another NZ notable; himself a settler in 1863 with his parents and siblings of 9 other children. He is quite well placed in NZ society and social history. He had many dealings with Maori landowners and they respected him. So much so that they gave him priceless artifacts. I've posted her story and beyond on the Scotland Rootschat site and his is now being driven by a cousin who is descended from this NZ famous man's sister. That is on the England site of the same. Both families were wealthy, they were educated in their homelands, were well placed and in her case (my great granny's), well connected and didn't seem to have any reason to move so far and to endure so much in getting there.

Offline SH100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 November 09 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it's a real mystery isn't it?  Thank you very much for letting us know about posting the items onto the websites you mention.  I shall enjoy reading them.  I probably shouldn't mention it, but could the answer be something to do with "seventh sons" or "black sheep"?
Davies, Juckes, Taylor, Anslow, Turner: Shropshire
Hobson: Yorkshire & Norfolk
Rudd, Muskett: Norfolk
Wilkinson: Leeds & Cumberland
Fletcher, Mandal(e), Kirkhaugh, Sedgwick: Cumberland
Hundleby: Lincolnshire

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 November 09 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Ooh, I am either being dim but always nice as usual. I have to say I can't say but 'yes' seven sons sound right and 'black sheep' sound right with the farmers!