Author Topic: O"Neill of Whitechurch  (Read 20953 times)

Offline Lyndairish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O"Neill of Whitechurch
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Summerhill,

Thank you for the information, I had wondered what the local church might have been. I sent a email today to the RC church in Ballykelly,  so keep your fingers crossed.

Regards Lynda
I am researching my Great Grandparents James (1851) O'Neill and wife Sarah (1848). He was a carriage maker living in Whitechurch, Co Wexford.

Thomas (1843) Walsh and his wife May(1844) a farmer from Rochestown, Co Kilkenny, Ireland

William Washbrook 1776 family of  Shotteswell, Warwickshire, England.

Offline Jerry16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 February 10 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynda,

I stumbled on your query re the O'Neills.  My father is James O'Neill, his father was also James O'Neill (he was a carriage builder) married to Kathleen and they lived in Whitechurch, Wexford. I'm wondering if perhaps your grandmother was my grandfather's sister?  I do not have any direct contact with my father as the family split some time ago but my sister is still in contact and I've asked her a couple of things!

What do you think?  Surely the locations,names and carreers are not coincidental!

Offline Lyndairish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 February 10 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jerry 16,

So good to hear from you, I had just about given up on anyone in the family being interested in our history. It sure sounds like the same family, like you I do not have much contact with my father or his family so info is limited, and I also live in Canada so on the spot research is difficult. I have found the marriage cert number for James O"Neill b 1851 and Sarah Power b 1948, married 1871 ( with help). I have no info on the rest of the family other then the 1911 census, so this is great. From stories I heard when I was growing up I know that Sarah O'Neill b 1889 married a Boland ( garage family)  from New Ross but nothing more. I have tried emailing the church in Ballykelly with out luck. My grandmother Kate ended up living in Waterford, Married to a Michael Walsh, I have heard romours that they may have been cousins but nothing concrete yet.
 I am on ancestry if your are interested, and would love to share what I have and hopefully fill lots gaps with your info.

Regards,
Lynda Walsh Washbrook
I am researching my Great Grandparents James (1851) O'Neill and wife Sarah (1848). He was a carriage maker living in Whitechurch, Co Wexford.

Thomas (1843) Walsh and his wife May(1844) a farmer from Rochestown, Co Kilkenny, Ireland

Offline Jerry16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 12 February 10 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynda!

Good to hear from you!

I heard from my sister that my father(James O'Neill Born 1925)has said his grandfather (James O'Neill)was born in Liverpool, UK. His parents James and Kathleen lived in Whitechurch until the late 1970's when they left to go to Donegal. They had 13 children. I will see what other info I can find.  When you say 'Ancestry' where do you mean? I'm new to this!

Angela O'Neill

Offline Lyndairish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 February 10 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,

Good to hear from you, I have a James O'Neill B 1894, this would be your grandfather I have no other info on him.  I use Ancestry.ca ( the Canadian version) there is a UK one and a US. The subscription I have covers the whole globe as my husbands family come from all over the place. Its a wonderful site and helps you find info, how ever Ireland is the exception since so much was destroyed. The Mormons have a lot of info on their site or at their Family history centers, there are centers  in Dublin and Cork.

I will add your grandmother Kathleen to the tree, do you think you could find any dates for her? I will try and see if my daughter Sarah can down load a copy of what I have so far to send to you. My email is (*) it will be easier to use that address for the future.
about's
Where  do you live now? I left Waterford back in the mid seventies, and now live on Vancouver Island in Canada, my sisters are still in Waterford as do my parents. I remember going to Whitechurch when I was very young, so I may have met your grandparents! My fathers family were never a close family which is sad as I know we have lots of relatives in Waterford, Kilkenny and Wexford not to mention the UK. Most of these we will never make connections with.

Take care and keep digging for info,
Your cousin Lynda

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline nowel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 14 February 10 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Lynda and Angela

I am also researching O' Neills of Whitechurch. They would be from my wife's family.
Her great grandfather is Patrick O' Neill, son of James O' Neill and Sarah Power.  Patrick O' Neill was married to Bridget Caulfield (one of 3 wives apparently).  His son Edward married Anastatia Kelly - both Wexford - and later moved to Waterford. Tree available on Ancestry UK

Regards
Noel 
Weldon - Waterford.
Smale, Small - Sussex, Kent.
Treacy - Waterford, U.K, New York. South Africa
Van Eesbeck - Waterford, Limerick, Belgium, U.S
Purcell -  Kilkenny, Waterford
Flood - Waterford.
O'Neill - Waterford, Kilkenny, Wexford.
Nicholson - Waterford

Offline Jerry16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 15 February 10 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Lynda & Noel!

More info...apparently Great Grandfather James was born in Dukes street, Liverpool.  He married and had three sons we know of-James (our Grandfather)Tom & Patrick.  He also had a daughter whose name we don't know other than when she married, she became Mrs Bolan.

My Grandmother, Kathleen's maiden name was Murphy-no dates available unfortunately!

Need to start work now so will try and contact you later-emails are barred so I will try the 'PM' they speak of.  Oh, I live in Poole, Dorset-never married hence still retaining my O'Neill surname but am living with my partner Martin.  I'm 47, have one brother(whom I dont' see)one and sister who keeps in contact via phone/texts....bye for now!

Angela

Offline nowel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 15 February 10 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Lynda and Angela

James O'Neill and Sarah Power marriage details: date - 16 Feb 1871.  Parish - Kilmackvogue, Co. Kilkenny. 
James O'Neill of Whitechurch, full age, occupation - Cooper. Father - James O'Neill - Shopkeeper.
Sarah Power of Kerncybay, full age, occupation - Seamstress. Father - Thomas Power - Coalbroker.
Witnesses - Philip Kelly and Ellen Aylmer.

Kilmakevoge is near Glenmore, Co. Kilkenny between Waterford and New Ross.  Kerncybay is probably Kearneybay, to the east of Glenmore along the river Barrow.

Noel
Weldon - Waterford.
Smale, Small - Sussex, Kent.
Treacy - Waterford, U.K, New York. South Africa
Van Eesbeck - Waterford, Limerick, Belgium, U.S
Purcell -  Kilkenny, Waterford
Flood - Waterford.
O'Neill - Waterford, Kilkenny, Wexford.
Nicholson - Waterford

Offline MAUREEN O NEILL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 20 February 10 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynda,

My name is maureen o'neill.  I am from Waterford City.  My great grandfather is James O'Neill of Whitechurch,  Ballykelly, New ross, Wexford.
Noel is my neices husband.  Like yourself I have researched the 1911 census.  There are cousins of the O'Neill line still living in Whitechurch.  His mother is Bridie O'Neill(deceased).  She is my fathers sister.  The O'Neill line that I am connected is through Thomas O'Neill, my Grandfather, he married Anastatia Ryan.  His Father and Mother were james O'Neill and Sarah Power. With reference to a previous post by you, I am interested to know who were the O'Neills who married who were supposedly first cousins?  In your post to Noel you mentioned that you are from Waterford and have family living in Waterford.  Where in Waterford are you from? 

I see by a previous post by you that you are interested in knowing who Sarah O'Neill(sister to your Grandmother Katie o'Neill) married.  I am not sure of his first name.  I think it may be Andy.  His surname is Quinn.  They married and lived in Waterford.

Our great Grand parents are buried in a grave yard next to Kilmokee Gardens not far from Whitechurch.  I am unsure of the exact name of the grave yard.

I hope you find this information useful.

Regards
Maureen

Moderator's Note: Edited to remove details of living people in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.