Author Topic: PICKARD  (Read 11978 times)

Offline daniel1111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: PICKARD
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 15:38 BST (UK) »
I don't know that the marriage of Bartholemew Pickard to Mary Woodhouse was at Wensley but the banns were read there:
From Wensley PR:
Banns read at Wensley 1754:
March 31st, April 7th and April 14th by J Costabadie
Bartholemew Pickard otp and Mary Woodhouse otpo Bedale
Percival, Hird, Heseltine, Wilson,  Horn(e), Thwaite, Storey, Iveson, Metcalfe, Dinsdale and Sunter and the farms and families of Bishopdale.

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 21:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information. Bartholomew Pickard and Mary Woodhouse were my X 6 grandparents. I have been stuck on this line for a long time and am just beginning to break down the brick walls. Where can I find the record of the marriage banns? I can't seem to find it. You are correct. They did not marry in Wensley as I have found a record on Ancestry in their England Select Marriages records. They married on the 15th April in Burneston, York. The information you gave regarding the banns reveals that Mary was of the parish of bedale. I have subsequently found a baptism for a Mary Woodhouse in St Gregory Parish Church, Bedale, Yorkshire on 27th Feb 1731/32. Father's name is given as William. The record is on www.freereg.org. There is obviously some doubt about the actual year.

Thanks again
Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 21:53 BST (UK) »
Oh it appears that this Mary died in Bedale on 9th April 1735. Source Familysearch.org. Father William so can't be my Mary Woodhouse.
Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline daniel1111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 22:25 BST (UK) »
The information on the marriage banns comes from a cd record of Wensley Parish Registers.

It is also worth noting that on those records there is the record of a baptism of a Margaret Pickard dau of Bartholomew on Aug 11th 1754 of Leyburn but no other records of any further children's baptisms or burials.
Did they move away from this area ?
Percival, Hird, Heseltine, Wilson,  Horn(e), Thwaite, Storey, Iveson, Metcalfe, Dinsdale and Sunter and the farms and families of Bishopdale.

Offline daniel1111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 22:46 BST (UK) »
There is a burial on the NBI of a Mary Pickard on Nov 3rd 1811 at Coverham aged 85 giving her birth date as c1726

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 April 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
Sincere thanks to both John and Daniel. I appreciate your input immensely. I am not sure if the family moved outside the area. It appears that they lived only a few miles away from birth/marriage/death. The burial date you gave for Mary Pickard (nee Woodhouse) ties in with the date of death john99sam gave me. I found a baptism for a Mary Woodhouse - father Thomas Labourer abode Morton, baptised St Helen Parish Church, Ainderby Steeple 16th Dec 1827 but that seems to be too early for that death  you sent with death c.1726.

I have contacted Marion Moverley who has studied families who lived in Coverdale. She has a website for a one place study of Coverdale and has analysed the families who have lived in the Coverdale from the end of the 10th Century to the end of the 19th century. You will probably be aware of her.  She has said that she knows of the tomb of my great X 4 grandmother in Grinton. She is on holiday at the moment but is going to get back to me on her return.

The only concrete evidence I have is that my great X 3 grandfather Joseph Imison was born in 1810 in Horsehouse, Yorkshire and was baptised on 16th March. That informatin was gained by census and baptism records. The only birth I can find for a Joseph Imison on this date and location is to a Joseph Imison and mother Mary. Joseph's (father's) birth according to the date of death on the headstone 1774 and date of death 1814.There is an entry under their burial transcription of  Richard ?1771 which is before his birth and Mary - wife X8. I subsequently found a baptism for a Joseph Imison in middleham
I am plesed with the Pickard line but the Imisons are a pain. There are several spellings and I have found records under I'Anson which I think could be a mis-transcription.
Julie

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

Marion got back to me and confirmed a few things. Firstly, the marriage banns for Richard Imison and Margaret Pickard were read 4th, 11th and 18th July 1773 at Middleham. The actual marriage took place in Coverham. I asked her to check this and she said that she has personally transcribed the Coverham registers and this is so. My great x 4 grandfather was born in Middleham the following year and was baptised 16th may 1774. However, the entry gives the mother's name as Mary. Marion says she has a record that gives the mother's name as Margaret or Mary.
She has also found, to my delight, the marriage of my great x 4 grandparents Joseph Imison and Mary Dent on 22nd Feb 1804 at Holy Trinity Church, Coverham. I have been searching with no success. All of their children were baptised there beginning with Eliza the following year. I didn't know her maiden name before but now I know her father is either William Dent of Marrick or George Dent of Reeth. They were brothers who had daughters the same year with the same name one in April the other in August. Mary Imison was witness to a marriage of George Pickering and Edith Dent. She was William Dent's widow so is either Mary's mother or aunt.  George Pickering was named as my great x 4 grandfather's executor. A Lot to sort out but the evidence is definitely leaning towards William and Edith being her parents.
Marion has advised me to join the Upper Dales Family History Group as there are a lot of people on there researching the Pickards.
Julie

I have been in contact with a descendant of James Pickard - the brother of Bartholomew (my line) and Francis Pickard (your line). She is also trying to verify what she has in her tree. It makes things a lot easier when others are researching the same family. Once I have established Mary's parents, I will be able to go a lot further. The paternal line will stay the same as the possible fathers are brothers but the maternal line will be different.
Julie