Author Topic: Owen McGinley - Mullaghduff -COMPLETED  (Read 12342 times)

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
Re: Owen McGinley - Mullaghduff -COMPLETED
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 February 10 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Johnnie, how's it going, I just got back home the day and having a look at what Kate sent down

John MacKenzie
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
        I completed my search for my Great Grandfather John, with the help of my cousin Kate (without her help I would still be stuck)...but.....when does the search end? I have since found out, that John had a brother James, who died in WW1 at Gallipoli. James left behind a wife and children. One of those children was William James McGinley, who later went on to become a chaplain in the US Army, serving on the front line in WW2 and Korea. He retired from the US Army in 1969 with the rank of Lt Colonel.......so just goes to show, sometimes the searching never ends....good luck to all on your family roots.

John
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

Offline Ramsay Stewart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 23:10 BST (UK) »
Wish I could have a stoke of luck and find My John McGinley's parents lol.........
All I have on John McGinlay's past are rumors and a marriage cert.
John McGinlay married Mary Ann White on The 25th March 1879 in Govan Lanark Govan Scotland. He was Aged 23...  Mary Ann was 18.... Johns Parents were listed as .. Joseph McGinley & Helen Stewart both Deceased.... No mention of there marriage place or date...
John Lived in Govan, Roodspark, Albert St, Hamilton St, Victoria St ... and later changed his name to John Stewart and Moved to port Glasgow Scotland, Using his mothers name. the story we were told was He had Killed a Soldier or Police/Security Guard and had to leave Ireland... I don't know where in Ireland... We think Maybe Donegal....
I have been told his picture hung in Dublin castle... for what reason is unknown. Any Help n Finding  John's Parents would be amazing .....    I have lots of Info on John After his Marriage if it's interest to anyone... there is a Link with Hugh McGinlay He also lived in Govan and Port Glasgow Some of the family were born at his Address. Port Glasgow, 2 Lyons Lane, Wood Lane, Gillespie Lane.
McGinley
Stewart
McCullagh
McGowan
Laverty
McLean

Offline NoreenB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 April 16 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to RootsChat and just saw your post.
My great grandmother was Ellen (Nellie) McGinley from Mullaghduff and I am trying to find out if there is any connection with your McGinley's from Mullaghduff. Nellie married my great grandfather Daniel (Donal Owen) Boyle on 1st March 1870 at St Mary's Belcruit. On the marriage register it has her father as Patrick but I have been told by a cousin of mine that her father was Frank McGinley as she was known as Nellie Frank. Any information that you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks 

Offline Patrick Crawford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 February 17 11:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm a direct descendant of Frank Mc Ginley from Mullaghduff in Co Donegal in Ireland, His Sister Mary married Patrick Breslin from Ardara, The 1st Principle of Ard Crone Primary School between the villages of Dungloe & Annagry, His other Sister Ellen, Best known as Nellie married Frank O Donnell best known locally as Francie Mickie O Donnell, Nellie & her family lived in Meenmore near Dungloe in Co Donegal, She died when she was only 35 years old & left behind 5 Children, I have done extensive research on My Mc Ginley ancestry & may be able to help anyone with queries & dates on this particular Mc Ginley family should they have any ?

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 February 17 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Donegal resources

http://donegalgenealogy.com

Mullaghduff come under Templecrone

Owen McGinley and Grace Sweeney (Sweenie)

Daniel McGinley born 29.7.1873
Patrick McGinley born 20.20.1877
Charles McGinley born 6.2.1880

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 February 17 14:02 GMT (UK) »
My G G Grandfather, Owen McGinley, (b 1847), married Grace Sweenie (b 1848) on 04/02/1869. I have photos, but too large to upload

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 February 17 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Donegal resources

http://donegalgenealogy.com

Mullaghduff come under Templecrone

Owen McGinley and Grace Sweeney (Sweenie)

Daniel McGinley born 29.7.1873
Patrick McGinley born 20.20.1877
Charles McGinley born 6.2.1880

My Great Grandfather, John McGinley born 1881, died 05/05/1958 ( son of Owen and Grace).

Also, James McGinley (son of Owen and Grace).

The Irish Times (1874-1920) [Dublin, Ireland] 20 July 1915
DARDANELLES.
WOUNDED.
Royal Dublin Fusiliers, 1st Battalion.
M'Ginley, 17608, Pte. J.

The Irish Times (1874-1920) [Dublin, Ireland] 07 Oct 1915
DARDANELLES.
Previously Reported Wounded, Now Reported Wounded and Missing.
Royal Dublin Fusiliers, 1st Batt.
McGinley, 17608, Pte. J.

Offline Patrick Crawford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 February 17 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Owen Mc Ginley & Grace Sweeney Mullaghduff Co Donegal had 4 children that I know off:

Charles - born 06/02/1880
Mary - born 19/02/1882
Annie - born 09/12/1884
Owen - born 15/12/1887