Author Topic: Robert Dunn 1764 - 1837  (Read 9566 times)

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Dunn 1764 - 1837
« on: Sunday 18 October 09 01:04 BST (UK) »

Can anyone name the parents of Robert Dunn or add further descendants to these names?

Robert Dunn 1764 - 1837
Family of Robert and Ann Dunn of Ballyspallen, Londonderry1789.

James Dunn born Feb 1791 of Ballspallen & Tartnakelly Londonderry
Thomas Dunn born Feb 1793
Mary Dunn born July 1795
Robert Dunn born Aug 1797 moved to Ballarat, Victoria, Australia executor will of William Dunn of Alphington 1865
Margaret Dunn born Oct 1799
Martha Dunn born Dec 1801
Nancy Dunn born June 1803
John Dunn born June 1805 died 1841 in Petersburg Va, buried Blandford Cmty
Jean Dunn born Oct 1807
Eliza and Catherine Dunn born May 1810.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Dunn 1764 - 1837
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 October 09 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    Your dates are a bit early for Irish records unless the local churches hold them. The townlands of Ballyspallan and Tartnakilly are both in the Parish of Tamlaghtfinlagan which is centered on the village of Ballykelly in the north of Co. Londonderry.
     I checked the 1858 Griffith's valuation for both townlands and all that shows is a Martha Dunne holding a large farm in Ballyspallan but living in the neighbouring townland of Drummond where she held even more land. There is no record of any Dunn/Dunnes in the townland of Tartnakilly.
     The 1831 census (name of head of house only) gives a Robert Dunne in the Parish of Tamlaght but does not list the townland.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 October 09 12:54 BST (UK) »
Two local churches have old records:
Ballykelly (Tamlaghtfinlagan) Church of Ireland- baptisms, marriages, burials start 1796. Vestry Book 1748 (probably little info. on families here).
Ballykelly Presbyterian Church- transcript of baptisms 1699-1709, marriages 1699-1740 
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 October 09 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I have found a little more.  5 May 1824, William Moore married Margaret Dunn in Tamlaghtfinlagan Church of Ireland, Ballykelly. Unfortunately the only record of this will be held by the Church or locally in microfilms.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 October 09 12:56 BST (UK) »
Two local churches have old records:
Ballykelly (Tamlaghtfinlagan) Church of Ireland- baptisms, marriages, burials start 1796. Vestry Book 1748 (probably little info. on families here).
Ballykelly Presbyterian Church- transcript of baptisms 1699-1709, marriages 1699-1740 

PRONI, Belfast and Coleraine Library both have microfilm copies of the records (however, the images might not be easily read). You can also check LDS (www.familysearch.org) to see if they have the records in their online catalogue- can be ordered for a small fee from your local LDS library to be viewed there if not in stock.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 October 09 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks everyone. I am having the records at PRONI searched D2908 & D2256 which holds genealogy records of the family back to 1612. In the papers are the following among other items:

There was an Indenture dated 18 May 1867. The parties were as follows:
1st part: Martha Dunn widow of James Dunn late of Drummond, son James Dunn, farmer and daughter Catherine Dunn, spinster, all of Drummond
2nd part: Mary Watson otherwise Dunn of Thornhill, widow and James Cherry, farmer and Ann Cherry o/w Watson his wife, of Thornhill
3rd part William Moore, farmer and Margaret Moore o/w Dunn of Drumreighland and James Creswell, farmer and Anne Creswell o/w Moore his wife, of Nedd
4th part: Abraham Patten, farmer and Eliza Patten o/w Dunn his wife and their daughter Anne Patten, spinster, of Crindle
5th part: Jane Turnbull o/w Dunn of Ballyspallen, widow and Joseph Douglass and Maria Douglass o/w Turnbull of Derrybeg
6th Catherine Smith of Ballyspallen, widow
The Indenture referred to the Will of Anne Dunn of Ballyspallen dated 30 Dec 1841. She had sons James Dunn, John Dunn of America who died before his mother; and married daughters Mary Watson, Margaret Moore, Jane Turnbull and Eliza Patten. She had 4 granddaughters called Anne - Cherry, Creswell, Patten and Douglass. The Will was granted in 1844. She left money to the Presbyterian Church.
Later in the box of papers I found a copy of the Will. Anne left her daughters £3 each to purchase mourning dress for her, but her son got £5 for his mourning dress!

The wedding cert of Margaret Dunn & William Moore mentioned 5 May 1824 is available from the following web site:
http://www.emeraldancestors.com/
I find the above site very helpful in collecting Irish certs especially from Londonderry

Meanwhile if anyone finds further it would be of great help.

Offline RichardinMichigan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 January 15 18:48 GMT (UK) »
The Ballykelly Church of Ireland graveyard includes as tombstone of James Dunn of Ballyspallen, died 26 October 1854, aged 64, and his wife, Martha Cochran Dunn who died 17 Apr 1883, aged 76.  The stone also lists some of their children (I do not have them).  This explains why Martha Dunn was the holder of lands in the 1858 Griffiths Valuation list.

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 January 15 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Richard I would like to get a photo of that grave if anyone is ever in the area of Ballykelly let me know please. I have this to add on the early part.

Robert Dunn of Tartnakelly 1764 - 1837 married about 1790 Ann Strawbridge

I have since learned that his brother William Dunn was my direct ancestor

William Dunn 1769 - 13th Nov 1857 married Catherine Millar 1786 - 1864. For years I was looking for a William Dunn born in 1786 but it turns out he was much older than his wife. For his death was apparently recored in the Belfast Daily Mecury. He was aged 88 years and this record was found on Ancestry.com.

Ancestry.com gives parents of Robert & William Dunn as William Dunn & Margaret Davisdson. This William dying apparrently 1824-34 but I don't know where the original source came for that.

Does anyone know if the Belfast Daily Mecury is searchable online? I am sure there will be other Dunn's from Ardground recorded in it.

Offline RichardinMichigan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 February 15 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!  Sorry I don't know the disposition of the Belfast Daily Mercury...

Richard