Author Topic: 199th Seige Battery RGA  (Read 4714 times)

Offline Ezekial

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sunset over Toddington
    • View Profile
199th Seige Battery RGA
« on: Sunday 18 October 09 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
 Could anyone possibly tell me where the 199th Seige Battery served during WW1, i believe they were at Arras but other than that i'm not sure.
 Regards
Family Romany Names Of Special Interest;
Bedfordshire LOVERIDGES & PARKERS
Cambridgeshire SMITHS
Hampshire AYRES & JEFFS

Also researching;
MEADS from Luton, Bedfordshire,
RADWELLS from Buckinghamshire,
HUCKLESBY'S from Toddington Bedfordshire

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: 199th Seige Battery RGA
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 October 09 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you google 199th Siege Battery world war 1, you get several hits, looking at some of the soldiers who died, the battery  served in several different place's

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 October 09 21:29 BST (UK) »
As the RGA worked in a different manner to the RFA, they are not so easily accountable for.

199 Siege Battery first went overseas (France) on 25th November 1916, according to Long Long Trail.

I have found 199 Siege Battery in November 1918, attached to 54 Brigade RGA, along with 173, 207 and 262 SB. (Third Army Artillery)

Checking the National Archives Catalogue, I cannot see a War Diary for 199 SB, although all the others are there (see link below). It could be that it is lost, or is contained within the Brigade Diary. Only a trip to Kew will tell.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/07b2/

There are a total of 27 casualties from 199 SB on CWGC, although not all of them died overseas.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hello
I have one member of 199 siege on my list I took of AVL's in Devon, He was Herbert Drew 301756. If you can find his record it might lead to further information
Regards
Alan

Offline Ezekial

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sunset over Toddington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 13:17 BST (UK) »
HI
 The reason i would like some information on the 199th is because my nans first husband was in that regiment  GUNNER  101466  A C AYRES, i have been fortunate enough to get my hands on most if not all of his army records, he came home in 1917 suffering from shellshock and TB and died an undignified death as did many more of our brave young men shut away in the three counties lunatic asylum in Bedfordshire.
 It would be nice to know where he served, i do know he served in France and i have in my possession a bone stanhope pen which has four pictures of Arras, he bought this back with him as a gift for my nan when he was on leave.
 Although she remarried she did confess in her later life that she never got over Andrew's death and she missed him right up until the day she died.
Kind Regards
Family Romany Names Of Special Interest;
Bedfordshire LOVERIDGES & PARKERS
Cambridgeshire SMITHS
Hampshire AYRES & JEFFS

Also researching;
MEADS from Luton, Bedfordshire,
RADWELLS from Buckinghamshire,
HUCKLESBY'S from Toddington Bedfordshire

Offline stevewyatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 April 15 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am also researching 199th Siege Battery 1917-1919 as my paternal grandfather (Percy Robert James WYATT, 128499) served with them.  I have been asking on another forum (http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82800) and have had some excellent replies from 'Ron Clifton' and 'kevrow'.

Here they are below..

Here are the movements of 199 Siege Battery:
Went out to Western Front 25 Nov 1916, joined IV Corps H[eavy]A[rtillery] 3.12.16, 49th HAG[roup] 6.12.16, to 77th HAG 22.12.16, to 39th HAG 10.2.17, to 24th HAG 20.5.17, to 93rd HAG 18.6.17, to 55th HAG 8.9.17, to 17th HAG 15.9.17, to 39th HAG 16.11.17, to 54th HAG 5.1.18. No subsequent change.

This file at the National Archives contains the Brigade War Diary (HAGs were renamed Brigades RGA in Feb 1918:
WO 95/392 54 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery 1916 June - 1918 Oct.

The file is in the process of being digitised and should be available online later this year. It also contains the separate diaries of the other three batteries in the brigade, but unfortunately not 199.

Here are the other War Diary references:
WO 95/481 93 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery 1917 Apr. - 1918 May; 1919 Mar.
WO 95/545 55 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery 1916 July - 1919 July
WO 95/388 17 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery 1915 May - 1919 Apr.
WO 95/391 39 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery 1916 Apr. - 1919 June

I've just come from the NA before I got this information, but will definitely have a look next time I go, but as Ron says they are unavailable as they are being digitised at the moment.

Hope this helps, if you find anything else could you also send me a message please.

Steve

Offline stevewyatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 October 15 17:48 BST (UK) »
Went to the National Archives yesterday to find out about 199 SB.  I scanned through the War Diaries for the brigade/groups (93/55/17/39 and 54), made some notes and took a few images (Sep 17-end 18).  If anyone wants, please feel free to message or email me.

Steve W

Offline stevewyatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I found out some of the locations of 199 SB from Bdr H Andrews diary which is available to view at the IWM.  I've included a brief outline below of where they were from Jan-Jul 1918 (some of the period not covered by HAG war diaries).  There is also a diary written by Lt A G Richardson, but I didn't get round to looking at it.

From the diary of Bdr H Andrews (199 SB)
Jan    FROMES WOOD and COMBLES. ST LEGER - Travelled to ERVILLERS/BOISLEAUX "42 ½ dozen bottle of beer (and Guinness) from BOISLEAUX."
28 Feb    "New guns.  Gun drill for all men in bty.  6 guns have to be manned with only 120 men.  Remainder still away on working party with RE"
7 Mar   "To BERNVILLE, BEAUMETZ and BRELEAUCOURT for ordnance."
14 Mar   Battery moved out - "Some of 199 SB men with guns in new position.  Others in camp at HAMELINCOURT
23 Mar   ST LEGER - Leave for HAMELINCOURT as "Enemy was already on outskirts of village."
14 Mar   HAMELINCOURT
25 Mar   COUCELLES
26 Mar   RANSART / MONCHIET AU BORS -  "Roads crowded with retreating troops and transport."
27 Mar   "Travelled all night to a village 15 miles behind NOULLENS named WAVANS" (DOULLENS, BEAVOIR-WAVANS?)
30 Mar   "199 Battery in action at SAILLY (on the Somme) near BEAVOIR RIVIERE." (SAILLY-SAILLISEL?)
11 Apr   BEAUVAL
13 May   "Returned to battery at SAILLY AU BOIS". "Billets at COIGNEUX"
10 Jun   "Left SAILLY (to FAMECHON)"
21 Jun   "Soccer match with 207 SB (lost 3-0) - rematch on 22 Jun (lost 3-0!)
28 Jun   Half battery to BEAUMONT HAMEL for "48 hour stint". Battery in position at BEAUSSART
1 Jul   "Gas shells from both sides"
10 Jul   "Jerry shells BEAUSSART with gas."
30 Jul   Bdr H Andrews was evacuated after gas attack.

Cheers

Steve W