Author Topic: 1881 census lookup please  (Read 5107 times)

Offline Linda62

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1881 census lookup please
« on: Tuesday 20 October 09 18:55 BST (UK) »
please can someone do a lookup for me on Annie Atkinson Bland born 1872 Cargrave Yorkshire mother was Isabella and she lived with her grandparents Elizabeth and i think james Atkinson, i dont really have much on this family so any help would be very much appreciated
thank you Linda
ATKINSON, BLAND,WALSH,CRAWSHAW,SMETHURST

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 census lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Linda

An Ann Atkinson Bland married a Thomas Walsh in the last quarter of 1893 at St John, Darwen. The marriage is registered at Blackburn and the GRO reference is 8e 641.

In 1901, at census reference Blackburn RG13/3923 Folio 42 Page 22, that lady seems to be living at 17 Devon Street, Darwen with two children - Isabella E, aged 6 (who was born in South Africa) and William T, aged 5 months (who was born in Darwen). Also living there is Annie’s sister, Mary A Bland aged 22. Next door at number 15 Devon Street, seem to be Thomas’ parents but there is no sign of Thomas.

Both Annie and her sister are shown to have been born at Bolton by Bolland.

Do you think this could be the person that you are looking for ?

On the 1881 census, Mary Alice Bland is living with her parents Henry and Isabella Bland and some other siblings. In the first quarter of 1873, Henry Bland married Isabella Atkinson at St Helen, Waddington. The marriage is registered at Clitheroe and the GRO reference is 8e 379.

Isabella Atkinson was, I think, the daughter of James and Betty Atkinson. In 1881, Ann(ie) Atkinson, aged 10, is living with her grandmother, Betty.

Since Mary Alice is shown as the sister of Annie (on the 1901 census) it follows that Isabella must be the mother of Annie Atkinson, born 1871 and that Annie Atkinson subsequently became Annie Atkinson Bland.

Both 1881 census entries for these people can be found on http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

Other census entries are available for these families if you think they are the correct people.

posteria
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Linda62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 15:50 BST (UK) »
 :) Great one thank you so much, thats the right ones, thomas is my great grandfather and spent alot of time in south africa.
Is it possible you could email me all the information please so i can print it all out on the main pc has im currently using a laptop and has no printer attatched.
once again Thank you
Linda

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 15:55 BST (UK) »
... to show the three ladies together (for the only time on the censuses) ...

Clitheroe RG10/4163 Folio 52 Page 1

Betty Atkinson Wife M 66 Farmer’s Wife Yorkshire Gisburn
Isabellah do Daur U 20 Farmer’s Daughter Yorkshire Bolton By Bolland
Ann do G/Daur 1mo Yorkshire Bolton By Bolland

Broom Hill, Grindleton, Yorkshire

posteria

Offline Linda62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
is Bettys maiden name smethurst ? and at 15 devon street is it James and Ellen Walsh

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 16:40 BST (UK) »
Actually, it cannot be the parents of Thomas in 1901 who are living next door because the couple, called William and Catherine Walsh, are both aged 29. Perhaps William was the brother of Thomas

IGI Batch C007102 contains a marriage on 7th February 1829 at Bolton By Bolland for a James Atkinson and an Elizabeth Smethurst.

IGI Batch C007102 contains christening entries for four of the children of James and Elizabeth Atkinson and these children appear with them on the 1841 census.

It is, therefore, highly probable that Isabella’s mother’s maiden name was Smethurst.

posteria

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 16:46 BST (UK) »

IGI Batch P007661 contains a birth record on 2nd November 1804 at Gisburn for an Elizabeth Smethurst (christened 2nd December 1804). This fits in with all of the other information. Her parents are shown as William and Allison. Two other siblings appear in the same batch.

posteria

Offline Linda62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 16:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you Posteria for that nformation, Thomas had only had sisters, is it possible that the ones in no 15 could of been thomases fathers brother ?

Offline Linda62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 16:52 BST (UK) »
If im right William married Alison Tasker, who was the other siblings