Author Topic: Is there still a farm called Balnamoon in Grange, Banff?  (Read 20086 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Is there still a farm called Balnamoon in Grange, Banff?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 November 09 21:31 GMT (UK) »
I happened to be in Elgin the other day and I had a look to see what Valuation Rolls they have. In fact the only relevant one there is the 1877-1878 one. There are VRs for 1906-1907 and some later years. There should be a full set in Edinburgh and possibly in Aberdeen and/or Banff.

All the properties at Balnamoon and Balnamoon Hill were part of the estate of Braco, and the proprietor of them all was the Right Honourable Viscount Macduff.  This was the then title of Alexander William George Duff, later the first Duke of Fife.

There were three farms, and William Mitchell was tenant of the largest farm, which had an annual value of £100/-/-. John Raffan was tenant of another, annual value £32/-/- and Ann Taylor of a third, annual value £7/10/-.

There were several crofts at Balnamoon, with annual values ranging from £11/19/- to £32/-/-. John Lorimer was tenant (not owner) of a croft with annual value £14/-/-. On Balnamoon Hill there were more crofts, with annual values between £1/1/- and £4/10/-, and there were 25 further tenants with annual values of less than £1/-/-, though these could have been anywhere on the Braco estate, not necessarily on Balnamoon.

Comparing the names of the tenants in 1877-1878 with the householders in the census in 1881, all those who had 19-year leases in 1877-1878 were still there in 1881 except John Lorimer, who died in 1877 and had presumably been succeeded by his son William.

The sizes of the farms and crofts ranged from the 100-acre farm tenanted by William Mitchell, 66-acre farm tenanted by John Raffan and 60-acre croft tenanted by John Reid down to just 4 acres tenanted by James Shand, and presumably even smaller properties not listed individually in the valuation roll. William Lorimer's 20 acres was a sizeable croft, but small for a farm.

(Digression. John Raffan's 66 acres of which 42 were arable was listed in the VR as a farm, and John Reid's 60 acres of which 45 were arable was listed as a croft, both with the same annual value of £32/-/-; and there were several crofts with acreages and annual values greater than Ann Taylor's 17-acre farm.  This makes me wonder anew just what the distinction between a farm and a croft was.)

The two larger farms and the crofts at Balnamoon were on 19-year leases, while Ann Taylor's farm and the crofts on Balnamoon Hill were on annual leases.

Hope this helps.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lola0908

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 November 09 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for checking that out for me Forfarian.

That was really good of you, it is really interesting.  I also have Raffan's in my tree from Banff (my great great great Grandmothers family) which is interesting.

Thanks again  :D

Laura
Bauchop (Airth), Blacklock (Dumfries), Borrowman (Airth, Dunfermline), Cameron (Oban), Caution (Perth), Corbett (Co. Monaghan, Hawick, Denny), Creelman (Glasgow, Kilmarnock), Demperstone (Alloa), Gibb (Falkirk, Edinburgh, Grangemouth), Glendinning (Dumfries) , Ingram (Banff), Johnston (Perth) Lorimer (Banff, Denny), Love (Alloa), Moffat (Oban), Raffan (Banff), Ross (Co Monaghan), Readhead (Banff), Strathie (Linlithgow, Larbert), Sutherland (Dumfries), Symon (Edinburgh), Turnbull (Larbert

Offline kensmith54

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 December 09 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I helped move my uncle & his family into Balnamoon in early1972, when they bought over the farm. I also lifted many loads of stones to improve the fields and was also around to help with their first harvest. The largest farm was known as Balnamoon, some other nearby crofts had references to Balnamoon in their names, but I forget these now.
Cannot remember the acreage, 100+ , but it was a mix of arable and some rough hill grazing. The house struck me as being "quite" substantial, so not from a time of subsistence crofting.
If it is the main farm that interests you, I will speak to family and refresh my memories when I go up to Keith in a few weeks.
ken. 

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 December 09 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I take it you're aware of the following will available for download from www.scotlandspeole.gov.uk  (cost £5.00)

LORIMER JOHN 26/02/1879 CROFTER, BALNAMOON, PARISH OF GRANGE, COUNTY OF BANFF, D. 05/11/1877 AT BALNAMOON, INTESTATE   BANFF SHERIFF COURT SC2/40/30 VIEW (£5.00)
(2 pages

There are a variety of Raffan and Lorimer wills from Banff.

Regards,  Steve .

Offline lola0908

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 January 10 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kensmith54

Thank you for your reply  :).  Any info would be appreciated :-)

Thanks

Laura
Bauchop (Airth), Blacklock (Dumfries), Borrowman (Airth, Dunfermline), Cameron (Oban), Caution (Perth), Corbett (Co. Monaghan, Hawick, Denny), Creelman (Glasgow, Kilmarnock), Demperstone (Alloa), Gibb (Falkirk, Edinburgh, Grangemouth), Glendinning (Dumfries) , Ingram (Banff), Johnston (Perth) Lorimer (Banff, Denny), Love (Alloa), Moffat (Oban), Raffan (Banff), Ross (Co Monaghan), Readhead (Banff), Strathie (Linlithgow, Larbert), Sutherland (Dumfries), Symon (Edinburgh), Turnbull (Larbert

Offline lola0908

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 January 10 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Piglet01

I have had a wee look at the wills thanks for letting me know :-)

Laura

Offline ell1s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 January 10 18:53 GMT (UK) »
If you belong to the Lorimers who farmed at Balnamoon - then so do I.............  I would have to look up my pages and pages of information but we seem to be related.   I live in Aberdeen.   My Grandmother's Grandmother was a Lorimer and they all came from Banffshire.

Ell1s

Offline ell1s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 January 10 18:56 GMT (UK) »
P.S.   The Raffans and the Taylors were all old interlinked families with the Lorimers - as were the Shands and the Redheads.   Just thought you would like to know........

Ell1s

Offline sheilapirie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 May 13 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi my Grandfather also owned a farm at Balnamoon Grange His name was William Kelly and his wife was Annie Mary .They had 2 daughters Annie Mary ( Kay ) and Helen Kelly. He  sold the farm and moved to New Elgin . My mum is 86 now so it was a good while ago .
My Aunt said they had upstairs in their farm house which was unusual in those times .
It is a area Balnamoon i must go back ive not been there for a few years .
Sheila