Author Topic: deciphering a place  (Read 957 times)

Offline eac61

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
deciphering a place
« on: Wednesday 21 October 09 06:46 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone help me decipher a place in Cardiganshire??
In one census it says they are from LLanfihangel Y Creduddyn, Cardiganshire in another it says Cwmystwyth, Cardiganshire and in this one it says ????? - it has been transcribed as Cwngilatt, Cardiganshire

Powell - Ton Pentre
Phillips - Llwynypia
Howell - Llannon/Llwynypia/Cardiff/Pennsylvania,USA
Ungoeds - Llannon,Carmarthenshire/Australia

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: deciphering a place
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 19:20 BST (UK) »
think it may be meant to be Cwmystwyth. In 1861, the family is in Llanfihangel y Creuddyn Upper and John is enumerated as a lead miner. Also he's a widower. There is a 35 year old servant called Sarah James who I suspect is the 2nd Mrs Richard. The enumeration district includes Cwmystwyth lead mine. RG9/4198 folio 73 pg 5.

marriage reg
John Richards sept qtr 1862 Aberystwyth vol 11b pg 103 with Sarah James on the same page

In the same house in 1851, with first wife, Mary. HO107/2486 folio 428 pg 3. Evan is transcribed as Iran and John's age has been mistranscribed. He's a blacksmith. His brother, Hugh, is living with them.

Hope I've been following the right family, but they are the only family to come up from Cwngilatt. There are other people on the same census page withe the same place of birth, but not transcribed the same. 

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline eac61

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 19:49 BST (UK) »
Cwmstwyth makes sense as this is where they say they come from in later census records ......

John born 1819 - Sarah born 1826

children

Evan was born in 1849
Abraham 1851
David 1855
Margaret 1856
Joseph 1863
John 1868

I have found a christening record for John Richard (not Richards) in Sep 1819 born in Eglwys Newydd (llanfihangel y creuddyn) parents Evan and Avarina.

I found a marriage record for a John Richards and a Sarah Jenkins in 1848 in Llandilofawr and wondered if this could be them as Evan was born in 1849 - but I had also looked at the record you mentioned and wondered if this was his first marriage and just the later children were his and Sarahs ...... and so the marriage you had would be right and just Joseph and John were Sarah and Johns ...

Also the John you mentioned as mistranscibed - this John cant be the right one, unless he had a John by his first and second marriage - which isn't impossible - the John I have in the tree was definately born in 1868 and died in 1908 - I have a rather large obituary from the Rhondda leader newspaper and I have also been to his grave which says how old he was when he died ....

hmmm how do I work this one out ????

Many thanks for your input !!

Powell - Ton Pentre
Phillips - Llwynypia

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 21:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I wasn't clear. It was John the father that was mistranscribed - 82 instead of 32. I'm pretty sure it's the same family as they're in the same house as 10 years later. Bmds for Llanfihangel y Creuddyn should be registered Aberystwyth
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/aberystwyth.html
Llandilofawr isn't in the same county.

There is a John from the first marriage as well - he's on the 1841- 1861 census entries. Also, a daughter Mary older than Evan.

http://www.spirit-of-the-miners.org.uk/cwmystwyth.php
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline eac61

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 21:34 BST (UK) »
 ;D

I realised what you meant - I phoned my friend and she said "you told me last week that you thought Sarah wasn't his first wife, and that you had found a census record showing a Sarah as a servant and wondered if John had then married her " - why did I dismiss this idea ? I don't know !!! But I am sure your theory is right and dont know why I doubted myself !!! I appreciate that sometimes they did name more than one child with the same name - maybe his first child John (who was 21 in the 1861 census died - or maybe the second wife just liked the name !!!

Im assuming Mary the child who is 18 in the 1861 census stayed in Llanfihangel as many many years later a Mary Ann Howells appears on one of the other siblings census records as niece born in Llanfihangel so probably Marys daugher - I will look into this further. (the niece died in 1904 age 40 and is buried in Trealaw cemetery along with her Aunt and several Uncles and cousins ...... )

Thanks again for your help  :)
Powell - Ton Pentre
Phillips - Llwynypia