Author Topic: HEDGCOCK, Bertram Charles, MBE Death and Burial  (Read 16440 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HEDGCOCK, Bertram Charles, MBE Death and Burial
« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 October 09 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a burial for a HUGH DATSON at MOONTA Cemetery.
Date 20/3/1875 Aged 42. Loc. East 8 Gve 408.

He may or may not be of interest to you as there were certainly more than one man by he name.

You might like a browse here at the arrivals for HUGH DATSON's (both adult and child)

http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/BoundforSouthAustralia.htm

Look in the year 1847 and at the ships
ABOUKIR and DAVID MALCOLM

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 October 09 08:54 BST (UK) »
Siblings of Loreena: James Edward Hubert DATSON 14 Aug 1895 at Mt Gambier,
Myrtle Reynella DATSON13 Jun 1889 at Moonta Mines
JUDB

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

A browse through the newspapers here, especially family noices section shows among other things the  marriage of MYRTLE RYNELLA to FREDEICK GEORGE BOLLARD and death of  a little child belonging to JAMES EDWARD HUBERT DATSON .

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 350zcar100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 October 09 09:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Judith and Sue. Yes, I have all that Datson info as I live in Moonta. The family scattered from here and some went to NZ, Qld, WA, Victoria as well as South Africa. I have just been tying up loose ends, hence the Hedgcock query. That Hugh Datson was killed in a mining accident here, and I have the Coroner's report. What is interesting is that Edward Datson, Loreena's father abandoned his family and was never seen or heard of again, which doesn't fit with the community and family spirit of the rest of the clan. Therefore, we don't have his death date or location despite many in the family looking everywhere for him. A descendant from NZ is visiting me week after next to do more research here. But I expect he went west and changed his name like many others. I have not found trace of him here.

That branch however, is not my prime interest, ie they are not related to my husband, whereas Hugh's brother Richard Henry is, as he married into "the family". I have gotten caught up in the rest of them, as I have an interest in local mining history and am a member of the local National Trust. At least 4 of the 5 Datson boys were mining Captains who started out in Moonta, with their father Hugh. Richard Henry and John went to QLD, James to NZ, William was a Mine Agent and went to Dubbo NSW, and a nephew William to South Africa. Poor Hugh did not make it.

If anyone wants anything researched here I am happy to assist.
Cook/e, Lennell/Linnell, Knight, Lymbery, Goodsell, Herne, Power, Organ, Clapson, Renfrey, Foxall, Penney, Hunter, Weeks, Medlen, Fitzgibbon, Cross, Morris, Crabb/Crappe, Jenkins, Gilligan/Gallighan, Manning, Bridgeman, Dowdeswell, Grace, Gee, Roe, Freeman, Osborne, Norman, Pender, Whitlock, Ashdown, Catt, Russell, Willard, Seaman

Offline AndyH2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 November 09 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Bertram was my grandfather. I've only recently started looking at the DATSON side of the family so I know very little except the basic facts, but happy to share what I do know.

Offline 350zcar100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 November 09 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Andy
I am very new to Rootschat but it seems I can send a private message to you via Personal Messages. I will attempt that as the info to discuss is in regard to some living members of the family.
Cook/e, Lennell/Linnell, Knight, Lymbery, Goodsell, Herne, Power, Organ, Clapson, Renfrey, Foxall, Penney, Hunter, Weeks, Medlen, Fitzgibbon, Cross, Morris, Crabb/Crappe, Jenkins, Gilligan/Gallighan, Manning, Bridgeman, Dowdeswell, Grace, Gee, Roe, Freeman, Osborne, Norman, Pender, Whitlock, Ashdown, Catt, Russell, Willard, Seaman

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 November 09 11:15 GMT (UK) »
May I just suggest that Andy needs to post on this thread a couple more times though before he'll be able to send you a PM back though, 350zcar100 .

Then you should both be able to exchange personal messages freely.

Hope that helps.

Dee  :)
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 350zcar100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 November 09 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dee for that advice. I did not realise that it had to be on a particular thread.

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 08 November 09 11:20 GMT (UK) »
You're right, it doesn't..... sorry, I didn't mean to confuse the situation.   :)

I just thought that it would probabl y be the place that Andy would find easiest to post first up.

The only threads that can't be used to get your first 3 posts are the Totally off Topic threads.

Dee   :)
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 350zcar100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 08 November 09 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Dee
Just noticed that you have our Linnells from Northamptonshire on your research list. I have researched the Australian branch of the family (spelt Lennell here) who came from Linnell in Leighton Bromswold extensively and organised a family gathering in 1997 in Moonta. My Motherinlaw is a Lennll.