Author Topic: Marriage Entry Look Up 1827 - Berwick upon Tweed  (Read 9678 times)

Offline Firehorse

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'Pharaoh'
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Entry Look Up 1827 - Berwick upon Tweed
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 December 10 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much, Berwicker, for your quick reply to my post and looking at your tree for my Agnes Lamb.  It sounds promising as my Agnes was born just after Forster and Agnes' marriage. 

I wish you all the best with your operation and a speedy recovery! 

Hope to hear from you in due course if you can find anything on Agnes. 

Very best wishes,

Jilly
Crisp, Dobson, Kirk, Farrow, Abraham, Hilton, Thompson, Croft, Searby, Haddock, Coot(e), Bryan Plaskett, Lyon, Peart, Hors(e)wood, Fanthorpe, Haywood, (Lincolnshire & Yorkshire); Brooke, Foice, Chapman, Flint, Bright (Wimbledon, Leigh, Leatherhead, Surrey and Roxwell, Essex); Pitt, Banks, Young, Malone (Camberwell, Bermondsey, Walworth, Surrey, London & Dublin, Ireland); Mallinson, Bevans (Canada)

Offline Berwicker

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 December 10 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou.
You will hear anon.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 December 10 18:04 GMT (UK) »
No Agnes Lamb baptisms in Berwick St. Mary (C of E), nor High Meeting House, Low Meeting House, Shaw's Lane, or Golden Square.

Just eliminating those places.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Firehorse

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'Pharaoh'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 December 10 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janis, Thanks for taking the time to look those up!  That doesn't look too promising  :-\  .  Everything seems to fit with her surname being Lamb, but as mentioned below, a marriage certificate for my Agnes' daughter, Elizabeth Lamb Pitt is arriving shortly and hopefully it will be confirmed. 

Agnes partnered with my GGGrandfather Henry Pitt bc. 1827 Upton upon Severn, Worcs. in the (Chelsea/Kensington) London area and took on the name Pitt as well as their children, but I cannot find a marriage for them at all.  Henry Pitt had been previously married to my GGGrandmother, Eliza Boxall.  Not sure what happened to Eliza, whether she died, or did a runner.  I wish I could find a marriage (if indeed there was one) for Agnes to Henry Pitt so I can ascertain her maiden name.   ???

Jilly

Crisp, Dobson, Kirk, Farrow, Abraham, Hilton, Thompson, Croft, Searby, Haddock, Coot(e), Bryan Plaskett, Lyon, Peart, Hors(e)wood, Fanthorpe, Haywood, (Lincolnshire & Yorkshire); Brooke, Foice, Chapman, Flint, Bright (Wimbledon, Leigh, Leatherhead, Surrey and Roxwell, Essex); Pitt, Banks, Young, Malone (Camberwell, Bermondsey, Walworth, Surrey, London & Dublin, Ireland); Mallinson, Bevans (Canada)

Offline Berwicker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 December 10 11:29 GMT (UK) »
I was in hospital longer than expected, but am at home and on the mend now.
Two bits of information for you, neither decisive but may take you forward.
The 1841 Census has Forster Lamb in the household of his parents James and Esther in Hatter's Lane, with no mention of wife or children.
In 1842 Forster's bother David Alexander was suspended from the Berwick Church Street Presbyterian meeting (for fornication!). Perhaps Forster belonged to that congregation also. Its roll of baptisms 1827-53 is in the Northumberland archives; unfortunately I do not have a copy.
If you wish to extend your acquaintance with the various Lambs of Berwick I will be happy to assist.
Best wishes.

Offline Firehorse

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'Pharaoh'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 January 11 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Berwicker,  Thanks very much for your reply and I'm glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery! 

I'm sorry for the delay in responding!  The aftermath of Christmas seems to put me behind so much and now I'm happy to say that things are returning to 'normal' now. 

Thanks for the information you gave about Forster Lamb.  I'm not sure if there is a way to link him to my Agnes Lamb.  Unfortunately, there might be no marriage record for my Agnes to Henry Pitt as they may have never married, despite having several children in London.  Because of that, I can't confirm a father for Agnes and all I know is that she was born in Berwick upon Tweed 1835 to 1837 which has been established from her ages on the censuses. 

Do you know of a Christopher or a James Lamb of Berwick upon Tweed?  The IGI has an Agnes the same age as mine with a James as father, but on the 1841 census the father's name is listed as Christopher, so nothing solid. 

Would you know in your records the above Berwick upon Tweed-ers mentioned above?  However, I'm not really sure how I'm going to say for certain who Agnes' parents were without a marriage record to Henry.  Given the fact that they may have never married at all, I suppose the possiblity of finding out who the father was is very remote. 

Best wishes and take care,

Jilly

Offline Berwicker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 January 11 18:58 GMT (UK) »
I do indeed know of a Christopher Lamb. He died in 1850 aged 61 years. And there are several James Lambs. How much do you yourself wish to know? A comprehensive account of their relationships would I think be too large for this forum. But I can give it. Can I suggest that we continue by private messages?

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 15 January 11 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Berwicker - I have followed your posts regarding the Lamb family of Berwick.  I am connected through family to Firehorse.  We have been helping one another.     As you know we are trying to trace the parentage and siblings of Agnes Lamb.

We know she came from Berwick on Tweed and can trace her from 1851 for sure.  Her age at the census are as follows:

1851 census born c1831
1861 census born c1835
1871 census born c 1838
1881 census born c1837

We have her death cert and know she died in 1885 (July)  age 49 which puts her c1836.
As well as looking at the normal channels - I purchased credits in Scotlands People to try and find the family there but without success.

On IGI and Scotlands People there is a Agnes Lamb with parents James Lamb and Jane Rutherford - the cert reads born 30 August 1831 and baptised September 22.  James being a gardener at Tweed Hill.   The cert reads Hutton (Berwick)

On the 1841 census - I could not find Agnes with these parents - however I did find an Agnes with parents Christopher Lamb and Elizabeth.     I cannot find a marriage or any baptisms for the other children.    I also found an Agnes with a father Robert Lamb who is a farmer, but I dismissed this father because Agnes is with him in 1851 and we know she was in London on the 1851 census.
Which leaves father Christopher or James.     I cannot find James and Jane, but I did find a death for Christopher and Elizabeth in 1850,so is that the reason Agnes left and went to London.

As you say in an earlier posting there is too much to exchange through Rootschat and wonder if we can exchange information through standard e-mail.      I have other little notes if Christopher is her father.    I have also written to the Scotland Record Office to see if they can suggest anything.   

Michele

Offline Berwicker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 15 January 11 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for your message.
Yes, I'm sure we can exchange information, though some of what I could give you might be best sent by post.
I have tried to reply to your colleague Firehorse's personal message and made a hash of it; will try again.
And I'll reply to your posting at greater length when I've been through my relevant stuff.